Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

Hopeless.

Cook quite simply shouldn't be in a one day team. Hales technique is often shown up at a very poor county level, our middle order has gone to shit and the bowlers look knackered.

Our whole plan to make a decent score seems to rely on late hitting from Buttler.

They barely looked arsed today. Time to rest Jimmy as well this isn't going any good in prolonging his test career.

Hopeless.

Cook quite simply shouldn't be in a one day team. Hales technique is often shown up at a very poor county level, our middle order has gone to shit and the bowlers look knackered.

Our whole plan to make a decent score seems to rely on late hitting from Buttler.

They barely looked arsed today. Time to rest Jimmy as well this isn't going any good in prolonging his test career.

We are crying out for another Trescothick, someone who can hit big runs at a quick rate whilst not being a slogger/ pinch hitter.

Side topic.. 

I was watching 'England's Best Days' earlier on Sky and it was the one where Collingwood hit his double hundred in the second test in Adelaide, England hit 551 in their first innings and had Australia 35-2 at the end of the second day and still lost that test match? Incredible. 

I remembered losing the series 5-0 but can't remember many of the games, that is ridiculous to lose a test after that many runs for a first innings score. 

Still the ODI side is crap ain't it?

Cook shouldn't be near the ODI scene in my opinion, not an attacking enough player or captain to score big. Anderson should retire and try to play another year of test matches, he's a wizard in them.

Squad should include players like Taylor, Vince and Bopara for me.

I find it staggering that Bopara was dropped in the first place

I'd love us to win a World Cup or Champions Trophy.

Not so bothered about individual series as long as they are entertaining games.

Yeah that's fair, I would like to win a World Cup.

We should be preparing for that really, a team that contains players we'll need in Australia, pace and bounce, Tremlett, Finn and Broad should all be playing, players who can't play a short ball can't be considered, Ali will earn his place now after his knock against India and we all know he'll go the distance with the ball in this format and be useless with the bat against short fast bowling.

A team for Australia

Vince

Bell

Ballance

Roy

Root

Morgan

Buttler

Broad

Tredwell

Tremlett

Finn

Can we get ten overs from Root? Probably not I suppose so needs another all round option.

I find it staggering that Bopara was dropped in the first place

I think they have finally got sick of Bopara and his complete inability to finish off matches. His stats look OK but the amount of times he couldn't get us home winning position was ridiculous, if we needed 80 off 23 you could be guaranteed he would come in and get us a 50* (27) that just came up short, if we needed 30 off 22 you could guarantee he would be walking back to the pavilion with us in a worse position than when he came.

it might be worth bringing him back at number four or five though (swop for Roy in team above), although won't be much call for his medium pace in Oz.

I think they have finally got sick of Bopara and his complete inability to finish off matches. His stats look OK but the amount of times he couldn't get us home winning position was ridiculous, if we needed 80 off 23 you could be guaranteed he would come in and get us a 50* (27) that just came up short, if we needed 30 off 22 you could guarantee he would be walking back to the pavilion with us in a worse position than when he came.

See Champions trophy final for details.

Yeah that's fair, I would like to win a World Cup.

We should be preparing for that really, a team that contains players we'll need in Australia, pace and bounce, Tremlett, Finn and Broad should all be playing, players who can't play a short ball can't be considered, Ali will earn his place now after his knock against India and we all know he'll go the distance with the ball in this format and be useless with the bat against short fast bowling.

A team for Australia

Vince

Bell

Ballance

Roy

Root

Morgan

Buttler

Broad

Tredwell

Tremlett

Finn

Can we get ten overs from Root? Probably not I suppose so needs another all round option.

it might be worth bringing him back at number four or five though (swop for Roy in team above), although won't be much call for his medium pace in Oz.

I'm not sure how he's been in ODIs but Boyd Rankin looked a real handful at Essex, another bowler with pace, bounce and aggression. 

Really disappointing showing from the Indian fans today - when their team actually needs their support in a match they're in danger of losing, they've all ****ed off home for a cuppa after about 10 overs of the second innings, rather than stay around and support the team. Just like in the Test series when they were mouthing off at Lord's and nowhere to be seen in the last 3 Tests.

So series over, what do people think is our best team? I think I'd go with something like this:

Cook (well I'd leave him out but I don't see it happening)

Hales

Root

Ali

Morgan

Buttler

Woakes

Rashid

Jordan

Broad

Finn

Think Ali is a class batsman and he's looked by a mile our most natural attacking player v spin, but he doesn't quite have the explosive power game that Morgan or Buttler do. I'd even be flexible with the order with these targets:

Ali to be in at the 15th over

Morgan to be in at the 30th over

Buttler to be in at the 35th over

with Woakes moving up the order to 5-6 if necessary, in the case of several early wickets falling for example - he's a genuinely good batsman but doesn't score fast enough to be coming in at the end.

Also a couple of observations - Woakes can't bowl to left handers and Stokes > Jordan in Tests but Jordan > Stokes in ODIs. Also Anderson wouldn't be in my team as he is too easy to get after if you attack him. He doesn't really ever have the problem in Tests because he's so good with swing but with the non-swinging white ball in ODIs he often gets walloped around especially in the later overs, as Warwickshire showed in the T20 final. If he does play I'd have him instead of Jordan and I would have him bowl the first 7-8 overs on the bounce and not at all after the 35th.

Moeen Ali has once again proved himself to be a fearless advocate of Britain's maturity as a multicultural nation by telling the British Indians who booed him at Edgbaston that he looks forward to the day when they all support England.

Moeen was persistently booed during the fourth ODI in Birmingham, the city of his birth, as some Indian supporters, most of them also British born, picked him out for special abuse in deference to traditional Indo-Pak rivalry.

"I just go out and block it out and try and play as best as I can," he said. "It's fine, it just goes straight over my head. I think it's maybe because my background is from Pakistan but it doesn't bother me."

Moeen, a practising Muslim, and instantly recognisable by the long beard that he proudly presents as a label of his faith, has previously expressed the belief that British-born Asians should support England.

He said at Headingley ahead of the final Royal London ODI that it was especially odd to hear Birmingham voices cheering on India. "Definitely - and they've got a Brummy accent or whatever and some of the chants are English chants. But it's just the way it is. Hopefully over time we can change that.

"I spoke to a lot of people and there were a lot of Asians there who were supporting England as well. But, obviously, the majority were supporting India."

Moeen was warned by the ICC in July after taking the field against India during the third Test at the Ageas Bowl wearing "Save Gaza" and "Free Palestine" wristbands. ICC rules state players should not wear messages relating to "political, religious or racial activities".

His evident pride in wearing the Three Lions of England promises to make him into a cult figure among England cricket supporters during a summer in which he has impressed with both bat and ball. He has shown it is possible to be both a devoutly practising Muslim and a ‎proud England cricketer and British citizen. Such are the tensions of multiculturalism in Britain, however, he never expected it to be an easy ride.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/778097.html

Interesting from Moeen. Personally doesn't really bother me which country people choose to support in any sport, but it's pretty ridiculous that he's getting proper abuse. Pantomime villain booing like Warner got on the last Ashes tour is fine and taken in jest, but to give him grief like that is stupid.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/778097.html

Interesting from Moeen. Personally doesn't really bother me which country people choose to support in any sport, but it's pretty ridiculous that he's getting proper abuse. Pantomime villain booing like Warner got on the last Ashes tour is fine and taken in jest, but to give him grief like that is stupid.

It doesn't come as a surprise - Ravi Bopara received some abhorrent racial abuse in the Champions Trophy at Edgbaston last year.

Right rant time

As an Indian myself (and an England supporter) I think its downright disgraceful that he is getting booed in a home match. Yes, perhaps not all the supporters are British born but I guarantee there are a fair few who have grown up, the majority of their lives in Britain.

As for what Moeen said. I agree to an extent. I have no problem with British born asians supporting India/Pakistan but I personally (and is my own view) think that they should support England.

What I dont understand is he amount of asians who support liverpool, Man u, arsenal etc in football and then the England football team

Surely if you support India in cricket then you should support the Indian football team. But I guarantee none of these people know a single Indian footballer. Its baffling really

I always thought Leeds Utd and Pakistan had the most racist fans in the country.

Then you go to a T20 with Indians..

'Duh Duh Duh Moeen is a Paki' - not really original or funny.

Archived