Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

I'd say, with no bias or favouritism, that 90% have gone against England.

Nah no way. The Test series was pretty even in terms of both teams getting sawn off a few times and getting lucky at other times. But now the ODIs have started, the format that India really care about, suddenly it's a little different.

Meh always a shame to lose but who in England really gives a shit about ODI's or T20's?  It has never been a biggy for England IMO.  Which is of course is the complete opposite to India as we will see on and off the pitch in this series.

Meh always a shame to lose but who in England really gives a shit about ODI's or T20's?  It has never been a biggy for England IMO.  Which is of course is the complete opposite to India as we will see on and off the pitch in this series.

:yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:

We always lose our 1st game, now just wait for the come back.Our batsman need that one innings to get out to stupid shots

or hilarious descisions. In fact I reckon that is us showing respect showing all our Indian friends how gratefull we are in them opening all these wonderfull eating palaces. Now normal service will be resumed...3-1 or 2-2 for the series.

Does anyone really give a shit about the ODIS?

I honestly couldn't tell you an England ODI series scoreline.

It's all about test cricket but it would be nice for us to become at better ODI side. So far behind the other major nations in that format.

Being honest, I can't see the 50 over stuff surviving much longer. The majority of matches are hideously one sided affairs, usually with a short fall of overs. As a live spectator event they aren't interesting enough for the T20 crowd and are a joke for the test crowd.

It needs a shake up, the problem with ODI is that it is too long to really build any suspense, apart from exceptional games which go to the wire most results are known by about half way through the second innings.

Yesterday was a perfect example of what is wrong with it. I was working from home so had it on all day until I think we were 100 behind on the Duckworth Lewis par score and 5 wickets down. There was just no point watching the rest of it. To commit that amount of time to something that inevitably ends up as being a damp squib isn't worth it, it is better to do it the other way round, tune in with an hour or so to go and see if it is a run chase worth watching.

One good/lucky spell with the ball and it is game over. The difference between ODI and T20 is that in T20 you know there can always be that one big over, the bowlers can be on top and you can be 5 wickets down, but it just takes that one big over to turn it round.

The other problem is that conditions are so vital, we see it in day night matches where the ball just changes under the floodlights, or in the Sub-continent where the dew on the pitch makes such a difference.

They either need to give it more importance, so a series, like the women's ashes, is decided on Test and ODI and T20 results, or we have a combined ranking rather than Test and ODI rankings. I can't see that idea being popular.

Or you re-jig the ODI format, instead of playing about with field placings all the time, turn it into 2 innings of 20/25 overs, or remove any bowling restrictions so it is a constant battle of your best bowlers against your best batsman rather than overs of part-time negative spin against "all rounders" that is just looking to contain batsman. If you remove bowling restrictions, you could pick 3 front line bowlers and 8 proper batsmen, or you could allow substitutes, have a squad of 15 and have a batting line-up and a fielding line-up.

Does anyone really give a shit about the ODIS?

I honestly couldn't tell you an England ODI series scoreline.

I'd love us to win a World Cup or Champions Trophy.

Not so bothered about individual series as long as they are entertaining games.

Ali should be batting at 4 in this side - he's a much better player than Buttler and Morgan in terms of building an innings - they are finishers pure and simple really, but Ali is capable of scoring fast too. I know the comparison is obvious but Ali really reminds me of a left-handed Amla. He has all the strokes and is capable of scoring very fast, despite not having a really serious power game.

Happy with how we've put the test series behind us (although it's quite clear our minds were on the ODI series anyway after the first thrashing).

Will do a world of good for our confidence. Would have been terrible if we lost this ODI series.

What next for England, though? 

Happy with how we've put the test series behind us (although it's quite clear our minds were on the ODI series anyway after the first thrashing).

Will do a world of good for our confidence. Would have been terrible if we lost this ODI series.

What next for England, though? 

A one day revolution hopefully, won't happen of course.

Archived