Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

On 15/05/2022 at 09:04, Raj said:

Treated myself (51 tomorrow) to a second hand boardman hybrid 3xb pro for £300.

Superb condition and first bike I've ever had with the hydraulic  brakes.

Should last me a few good years hopefully.

I'm selling my previous trek 7.3 hybrid if anyone interested drop me a DM.

I bought a Boardman hybrid 5 years ago for £400 and it's one of the best buys I've ever made because it fits my requirements perfectly.  I'm a non-seriius biker and am not into mountain bike territory, but usually go about 12 miles mostly on decent tracks.  One downside is that I had to buy from Halfords as they were the exclusive  dealers for Boardman at that time.

It's fairly light, straight bars (I don't like drops), hydraulic brakes, enough gears.  It's simply a very easy, trouble-free bike to ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

I bought a Boardman hybrid 5 years ago for £400 and it's one of the best buys I've ever made because it fits my requirements perfectly.  I'm a non-seriius biker and am not into mountain bike territory, but usually go about 12 miles mostly on decent tracks.  One downside is that I had to buy from Halfords as they were the exclusive  dealers for Boardman at that time.

It's fairly light, straight bars (I don't like drops), hydraulic brakes, enough gears.  It's simply a very easy, trouble-free bike to ride.

Yes completely  agree.

Went on it yesterday and it's a couple of notches up on the trek.

Perfect for everyday riding.

• 2 months later...

Anyone got any decent routes for road cycling around the county? 

I'm pretty clued up on SW Leicestershire but was wondering if there's any nice scenic quiet routes with decent surface for a road bike people know of? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I'm pretty clued up on SW Leicestershire but was wondering if there's any nice scenic quiet routes with decent surface for a road bike people know of? 

Can't go wrong with the roads in / around the vale of Belvoir. Even if you don't wanna go that far then south of Melton there's some great roads round Great Dalby, South Croxton, Gaddesby, Somerby, Burrough on the Hill etc. Me and a mate used to regularly do a 40/50 odd mile loop that way early on on a Saturday and it was never busy - Komoot might throw up some decent routes!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Can't go wrong with the roads in / around the vale of Belvoir. Even if you don't wanna go that far then south of Melton there's some great roads round Great Dalby, South Croxton, Gaddesby, Somerby, Burrough on the Hill etc. Me and a mate used to regularly do a 40/50 odd mile loop that way early on on a Saturday and it was never busy - Komoot might throw up some decent routes!

Cheers mate. I'll have a look

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 09:51, Raj said:

Yes completely  agree.

Went on it yesterday and it's a couple of notches up on the trek.

Perfect for everyday riding.

My post put a curse on my boardman hybrid - it was stolen a month ago.  :sweating:  I hope it's not mine you're riding  :mellow:  When I dug out the bill I was surprised to find it was, in fact, 7 years old, and was still running perfectly with nminimal maintenance having been necessary. Great bike ... I'm gutted.  It cost £400.  Modern equivalent will cost me £600, and it has wider tyres which I don't like but will have to put up with. Hope you're still enjoying yours. 

6 hours ago, deep blue said:

My post put a curse on my boardman hybrid - it was stolen a month ago.  :sweating:  I hope it's not mine you're riding  :mellow:  When I dug out the bill I was surprised to find it was, in fact, 7 years old, and was still running perfectly with nminimal maintenance having been necessary. Great bike ... I'm gutted.  It cost £400.  Modern equivalent will cost me £600, and it has wider tyres which I don't like but will have to put up with. Hope you're still enjoying yours. 

Sorry about the theft of your bike mate.

Check out Facebook  markeplace,  it's where I bought mine and like yours it's about 10 years old but was looked after impeccably  by its owner. Rides beautifully.

P.S is it worth claiming on your home insurance?

Edited by Raj

7 hours ago, deep blue said:

House insurance cover it?

17 hours ago, Collymore said:

Check out strava heat maps for any given area. 

I've got tons of routes for NW Leicestershire area so not much help 

17 hours ago, Collymore said:

You may already have this area covered but I often do a route from Ratby, through Ratby Borroughs then onto Thornton Reservoir.

Thereafter, I either head out towards Stanton under Bardon or instead head towards, and go through, Bagworth Heath Woods.

I then loop back via Botcheston, Newtown Unthank and Kirby Muxloe.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Agree with that - head out to the sticks from Syston / Queniborough and you can't go too far wrong with a loop round to Melton and back through Asfordby / Hoby area. 

Really lost my way with fitness and cycling after riding 3 times a week or so a couple of years back. Hard to find the time to get out and do a decent circuit and as fitness isn't where it should be, motivation is down as well. Just purchased a wattbike this morning and hoping that that will give me the kick start I need. Problem is that by the time I've got home from work and sorted the kids / dog, it's pushing 8 and it never seems worth getting changed and going out as starting to get dark by the time you're in the swing of things. Hoping having a spin bike will mean at night I can just do half an hour and build fitness to then hit proper outdoor rides again next spring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine and the missus bikes stolen from my in-laws garage last night (we’ve been keeping them there while we’ve been having an extension). If anybody happens to see any Vitus Nucleus mountain bikes for sale locally I’d be happy to be given the heads up. They were stolen from Barrow Upon Soar by the way. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What we need is a Guardian article asking why a lot of folk hate cyclists.

Seriously though, it's interesting and something that needs some work.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/30/why-do-some-people-hate-cyclists-so-much

I cycled a lot during lockdown. But for some reason I still despise cyclists as soon as I sit down in my car lol

Seriously tho. I think like all walks of life. Cyclists has its fair number of ***** as does the wide section of drivers on the road.

Drivers always in a rush to get anywhere and cyclists thinking its fine to ride 5 a beast and about 50 deep and now the highway code says they can. I always pull in and make it as easy to overtake when on my bike as I possibly can and if on a shite single track road I'd stop if possible and let any vehicles by. But not everyone is the same. 

On 28/07/2022 at 07:37, Raj said:

Sorry about the theft of your bike mate.

Check out Facebook  markeplace,  it's where I bought mine and like yours it's about 10 years old but was looked after impeccably  by its owner. Rides beautifully.

P.S is it worth claiming on your home insurance?

Thanks for the advice.  Couldn't find a replica of my old bike on the site you suggested so bit the bullet and bought a new replacement yesterday. Small differences but essentially the same bike so I had a smooth ride home on it.  I'll just have to learn to love it like I did the original.

Didn't bother with insurance cos when you factor in the excess and the accumulative amount you lose with no-claims it's hardly worth it.

I could have waited for GMP investigation to come up with anything but think I will die before that goes anywhere (in spite of clear video of the theft!) :unsure:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just started cycling to work on an electric bike, 10 miles each way, things I've learnt so far:-

• On average a motorist will try to murder me once a day by mistake.
  • On average I will try to kill myself every couple of days by mistake.
  • Long mud guards are fantastic.
  • The faster you go the more trouble you get yourself into.
  • Most motorists are very patient and if you can make eye contact with them, they try their best not to orphan your children.

I've got a Lemond Alpe D'Huez hanging on the wall of the garage. I've never felt comfortable riding it after I was hit by a complete myopic female James Hunt. I loved that bike and used to do loads of sportives on it.

I bought a cheap secondhand Trek as a replacement, but it weighs about the same as the rest of the contents of the garage so it's never been that rewarding to take out. My Cannondale Quick 4 saw some action until I got injured and packed on the weight.

I've made the decision to get a new endurance machine come Spring. Firstly, it'll be a 'well done me' present for shifting all my weight off. Secondly, I need to be regularly slowing down traffic again - and chuckling as portly, red-faced men wave at me as they overtake, kindly bestowing their best wishes for my future health. And lastly, I'm going to build up to a Lands End to John O'Groats run by getting back to sportives.

It's a joke of an idea if you look at me at the moment, but everyone needs goals, eh.

• Like 1

I cycle every weekday to and from work, 4.30 in the morning, 14.05 back home, about a twelve mile round trip on my Marin mountain bike that I've had for two years now, puncture resistant tyres with green stuff in the inner tubes just in case.

All weathers, snow included and you see some real turnips out and about in the early hours and some really bad car/van drivers  too.

Good job I went for the tougher tyres since the amount of broken glass at times over the past couple of years on pavements, cycle paths and on the side of the road  was ridiculous.

I'm out of shape but on the comeback trail, slowly but surely. 35 mile yesterday, around 600m climbing (where I live is lumpy). I was wrecked when I got back. It would have been a doddle a few years back, it's surprising me just how tough I'm finding it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taupe said:

I'm out of shape but on the comeback trail, slowly but surely. 35 mile yesterday, around 600m climbing (where I live is lumpy). I was wrecked when I got back. It would have been a doddle a few years back, it's surprising me just how tough I'm finding it.

I’m so far out of shape they made a website for me - https://fatladattheback.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bought my first race style bike, having it put together in Halfords this coming week. Need to have it up and running in an efficient state asap because I'll need it mainly for the commute to work. Haven't ridden in 3+ years.

While I don't intend to go all in with the lycra clad fart sniffing cyclemaniac society just yet, I still have to make sure my bike is trued with all the gears balanced right and the nuts & bolts torqued to the appropriate pressure. Will moaning at Halfords mechanics be worth my time or do I have to figure this all out myself/take it to a decent shop?