Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

So finding a decent bike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  There is just nothing out there and when there is, stock disappears within hours of appearing.

Been some decent Whyte bikes for sale (901s - £1600) but without anywhere being open I'm reluctant to spend a tidy sum on something I haven't seen or tested out beforehand.

Waiting patiently, I'm now thinking of a Whyte 429.  Nothing in stock anywhere in the UK though.  :rolleyes:

There are some Nucleus VRs and VRSs in stock on Chain Reaction, the VRS is a pretty similar spec to the Whyte 429 I imagine, if not better value for the price. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well getting into it again this year. Just purchased some new wheels from HUNT.

anyone upgraded their bike components much before? I’m told wheels make the biggest difference per pound spent so interested to see what this does performance wize

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Well getting into it again this year. Just purchased some new wheels from HUNT.

anyone upgraded their bike components much before? I’m told wheels make the biggest difference per pound spent so interested to see what this does performance wize

What type of biking we talking? Road or MTB? 

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m a complete novice at road cycling and in my idiocy I’ve signed up to a coast to coast charity cycle from Morecambe to Bridlington in honour of one of my workmates who passed away from Prostate cancer.

The good news is the ride is at the end of September so I think I’ve got just enough time to get in some sort of respectable cycling shape.

The bad news is I don’t have a bike, and bikes are massively out of stock. I’ve found a couple of bikes I think might be suitable but didn’t know who to turn to for advice. 

I’m looking for an introductory road bike size 54cm that has a reasonable range of gears for hills. 

So far I’ve found a couple of bikes that are reasonably priced but didn’t know if they’re suitable.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-virtuoso-mens-road-bike-2020---white---s-m-l-frames-348270.html 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.6-mens-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-364926.html

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

So I’m a complete novice at road cycling and in my idiocy I’ve signed up to a coast to coast charity cycle from Morecambe to Bridlington in honour of one of my workmates who passed away from Prostate cancer.

The good news is the ride is at the end of September so I think I’ve got just enough time to get in some sort of respectable cycling shape.

The bad news is I don’t have a bike, and bikes are massively out of stock. I’ve found a couple of bikes I think might be suitable but didn’t know who to turn to for advice. 

I’m looking for an introductory road bike size 54cm that has a reasonable range of gears for hills. 

So far I’ve found a couple of bikes that are reasonably priced but didn’t know if they’re suitable.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-virtuoso-mens-road-bike-2020---white---s-m-l-frames-348270.html 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.6-mens-road-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-364926.html

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

I know next to nothing about bikes despite buying one myself a couple of years ago.

What I do know about the hobby is there is no shortage of bike anoraks out there. Bike shops are ten a penny and I would suggest seeking out an independent, especially one that does repairs, this is where you will find the enthusiasts who will give you good advice.

Good luck with your endeavours!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know next to nothing about bikes despite buying one myself a couple of years ago.

What I do know about the hobby is there is no shortage of bike anoraks out there. Bike shops are ten a penny and I would suggest seeking out an independent, especially one that does repairs, this is where you will find the enthusiasts who will give you good advice.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Fully agree with that.  Independent bike shops are fantastic for these discussions as there are so many considerations for your individual needs.  I've used TJ Cycles in Birstall as well as Julie's Cycles in Clarendon Park and they're both great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just bought a cyclocross bike off eBay and took it out for the first time today.  Twitchy bike! I think it’s short wheelbase or something but it was an experience off-roading on it 🤣 I’ve also not clipped in for years but I decided to go for it.

Suits where I live now though and it’s nippy on the tarmac, so I’m a happy camper. The brakes need bleeding I think and I want someone who knows what they’re doing to service it, so have engaged the LBS.

Popped into Rutland Cycles last weekend and picked up a new Specialized Hybrid as I fancied a new bike. Lighter than my current Liv road bike and absolutely hilarious on sharp, wet corners. Will be a great causal summer rider whilst the hunt for a new roadie continues…….

FBF8679B-4892-4808-9A3C-F99B55C1A108.jpeg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

Popped into Rutland Cycles last weekend and picked up a new Specialized Hybrid as I fancied a new bike. Lighter than my current Liv road bike and absolutely hilarious on sharp, wet corners. Will be a great causal summer rider whilst the hunt for a new roadie continues…….

FBF8679B-4892-4808-9A3C-F99B55C1A108.jpeg

You did well there.  Last time I was in, there was nothing in there!  Managed to order direct from the warehouse.  Stock isn't making it to the stores and is snapped up straight away.  They're already out of Whyte 429s having had 4 in stock yesterday.

On 22/03/2021 at 22:35, Legend_in_blue said:

Waiting patiently, I'm now thinking of a Whyte 429.  Nothing in stock anywhere in the UK though.  :rolleyes:

That's the hardtail right? Nice bike that. Similar geometry to my Kona, but higher spec. I thought that they were a British make? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Line-X said:

That's the hardtail right? Nice bike that. Similar geometry to my Kona, but higher spec. I thought that they were a British make? 

Yes.  It's one of the upper mid range hardtail bikes on 29s.  I could have gone to town and got a 901 or a 905 but thought that was silly money to go throwing on a bike tbh.  It is a British make, yes.  I like the look of them and the colour finish on these is excellent.  A load of Giant Talons have come in before these ones during early June but I can't be doing with the gloss metallic finish on those and would have looked too much like my previous bike.  These Whyte bikes are different and quite rare it seems.  Picking one up has been an 11 month wait.  lol  

• Like 1

On 03/07/2021 at 21:02, Legend_in_blue said:

You did well there.  Last time I was in, there was nothing in there!  Managed to order direct from the warehouse.  Stock isn't making it to the stores and is snapped up straight away.  They're already out of Whyte 429s having had 4 in stock yesterday.

It’s the advantage of being short! Only one they had there so snapped it up. 

It’s insane! I normally used my local bike shop however they’ve had nothing for this last year. Have you tried their Pitsford branch (over Northampton way?) They posted a picture the other day and looked like they had a few bikes there but what they are I have no idea. 

Edited by waddadamadda
Forgot to finish the sentence
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 26/06/2014 at 18:49, SystonFox said:

We got any cyclists here then?

I am a road cyclist. Currently have a carrera zelos but tomorrow I get a boardman comp 2014 through cycle to work scheme. I currently enjoy doing 25-30 miles routes around Leicester but I want to progress further, anyone got any tips? My main issue is lower back ache, second is I get pins and needles in my right hand. The third is I get a little bored so I need something extra!

No cyclist haters pls!!!!

Just a suggestion...forget Road cyclist...Invest in a Touring bike, find cycle Nature trails,or river cycle paths...

Road cyclist boringly Chase the Tour de France attitude...Times & inclines...

Why Not the pay-off ,be the nature & the day(s) itself..Get Off the braten track..Observer Fauna ,birds,animals,

even Interface with Local farm workers, & villagers.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Got knocked off my bike a few weeks back. Completely the drivers fault, I went for a spin on the bonnet and managed to avoid any real injuries miraculously.

Got a new front wheel within a week and was back on after 10 days as I didn't want to leave it and get scared. I was a bit jumpy a couple of times.

Went out for a little tour around Mid Wales the week after that, did 90 miles and over 3000ft of elevation in 27 hours. Some amazing scenery, particularly around Lake Vyrnwy.

20220416_164423 copy.jpg

Blackadder cycle..Ribble ribble, wibble wibble wobble

3 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Got knocked off my bike a few weeks back. Completely the drivers fault, I went for a spin on the bonnet and managed to avoid any real injuries miraculously.

Got a new front wheel within a week and was back on after 10 days as I didn't want to leave it and get scared. I was a bit jumpy a couple of times.

Went out for a little tour around Mid Wales the week after that, did 90 miles and over 3000ft of elevation in 27 hours. Some amazing scenery, particularly around Lake Vyrnwy.

20220416_164423 copy.jpg

Cracking scenes brother, hope you're alright - weirdly the closest encounters I've had on the roads have been with deliveroo cyclists going through lights but they're few and far between!

Got made redundant from my job arse end of Feb and have been making a fist of big early starts and getting 50/60 in early doors going towards the Vale of Belvoir, got an Orbea Avant autumn last year and love her to pieces. The Cambrian Mountains in Wales is my dream ride I think but it definitely needs building up to!

Screenshot_20220502-191324.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Blackadder cycle..Ribble ribble, wibble wibble wobble

I would really like a new bike, but I really do love my little Blue Ribble Audax.

It cost £200 from an Old Boy who used to ride pretty seriously. I think he tinkered a lot with bikes too, as he set this one up with the brakes the wrong way around. I've no idea why, but I still ride with them that way. It's not a great bike really, it wants setting up for me specifically a lot better and needs essentially a full rebuild from the frame out. 

But none of that matters really. Because I don't love my Ribble for how good it is technically, I love it for the experiences I've had in it in the last 6 years. I don't cycle that often but I've done a good 1500 miles on it in Merseyside, in York, the Lakes and now Snowdonia too. I once clocked 42mph in some beautiful North Yorkshire Countryside. Bit scary that I must admit. But now we've been lucky enough to come out unscathed from a sodding crash too. 

I can't wait to do it up good and proper and go out for a spin. 

It would be another thing to add to a fantastic list of experiences I've had riding it. 

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

I would really like a new bike, but I really do love my little Blue Ribble Audax.

It cost £200 from an Old Boy who used to ride pretty seriously. I think he tinkered a lot with bikes too, as he set this one up with the brakes the wrong way around. I've no idea why, but I still ride with them that way. It's not a great bike really, it wants setting up for me specifically a lot better and needs essentially a full rebuild from the frame out. 

But none of that matters really. Because I don't love my Ribble for how good it is technically, I love it for the experiences I've had in it in the last 6 years. I don't cycle that often but I've done a good 1500 miles on it in Merseyside, in York, the Lakes and now Snowdonia too. I once clocked 42mph in some beautiful North Yorkshire Countryside. Bit scary that I must admit. But now we've been lucky enough to come out unscathed from a sodding crash too. 

I can't wait to do it up good and proper and go out for a spin. 

It would be another thing to add to a fantastic list of experiences I've had riding it. 

Ribble seems to be an honest,loyal ..pedal power friend…:yesyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Cracking scenes brother, hope you're alright - weirdly the closest encounters I've had on the roads have been with deliveroo cyclists going through lights but they're few and far between!

Got made redundant from my job arse end of Feb and have been making a fist of big early starts and getting 50/60 in early doors going towards the Vale of Belvoir, got an Orbea Avant autumn last year and love her to pieces. The Cambrian Mountains in Wales is my dream ride I think but it definitely needs building up to!

Screenshot_20220502-191324.jpg

Cheers, I'm all good. Very lucky boy really.

Sorry about the redundancy mate, that's a bit of a shitter I imagine.

If you're thinking about bikepacking, I will give you one piece of advice above all else. Funnily enough, it is something a Deliveroo driver who had been to China and India (amongst many other places), dropping off my Indian said to me, in early 2020. Just go and do it. Pick a weekend or a week or whatever, and do it.

I'm sometimes a bit of a sadist on the bike it has to be said, but I'd only done 10 miles in about 5 months leading up to this. I'm reasonably fit generally but I was out of cycling shape. If you've done a few 50/60 milers recently you'll be fine I'm sure. Although it probably helps lol

My next one, for what it's worth, is the Cairngorms. It might kill me, but I'll keep the mileage down to maybe 40/50 a day I think so I can manage it better!

Edited by ajthefox

• 2 weeks later...

Treated myself (51 tomorrow) to a second hand boardman hybrid 3xb pro for £300.

Superb condition and first bike I've ever had with the hydraulic  brakes.

Should last me a few good years hopefully.

I'm selling my previous trek 7.3 hybrid if anyone interested drop me a DM.

This is probably the wrong thread as will be pure cyclists here but my wife got a Peloton and after being deeply critical im

now on it 4 times a week. 

anyone had a similar experience. I like being able to crawl out of bed, smash 30/45 mins ride and off to work.

Edited by Tommy G