Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Ex-Leicester City player news

Republic of Ireland international Sean St Ledger has been dropped from D.C. United's preseason roster after a brief trial stint.

St. Ledger has been unlucky with injuries but his a brief glance at his twitter account always gave an indication as to his life off the pitch which leaves me with little sympathy for him. A nice guy but a complete buffon! 

• 3 weeks later...

AFC Wimbledon striker David Connolly has announced his retirement from football with immediate effect.

The 37-year-old made over 400 senior club appearances during his career that saw him turn out for Watford, Feyenoord, Wolves, Excelsior, Wimbledon, West Ham, Leicester, Wigan, Sunderland, Southampton, Portsmouth and Oxford.

He also appeared 41 times for Republic of Ireland and featured at the 2002 World Cup as a substitute during the second-round defeat to Spain.

Connolly joined AFC Wimbledon in January after his contract with Portsmouth was cancelled by mutual consent.

It was his second spell with the club, having played for the old Wimbledon between 2001 and 2003, when he scored 42 goals in 68 appearances.

He managed just one goal in eight games this time around, but that strike was a stoppage-time winner during a 3-2 victory over Luton.

The veteran called it a day following discussions with his manager and former team-mate Neal Ardley.

He told the Dons' official website: "I pulled Neal aside for a heart-to-heart chat and I felt that now was the time to call it a day.

"As time has gone on I felt that starting games was difficult and so too was travelling up and down the country to come off the bench for 10 minutes or so. Neal needed a striker that could play off (Adebayo) Akinfenwa and start games and that wasn't me.

"I have always had fond memories of this club and my winning goal against Luton will live long in the memory. It was great to bring that joy to everyone at the club."

Ardley had warm praise for his departing player.

He told Dons Player: "David was the best striker I ever played with. I played with some good ones when I was with England Under-21s.

"David's movement and understanding of space was first class. He is a good friend of mine and a good friend of the club. I have invited David to come back and do coaching at the club whenever he is ready.

"I have total respect for David. He feels that the money we are paying him would be better spent on someone who can start games. He does not feel he is that person.

"That is a rare quality to accept that. I cannot speak highly enough of him. I tried to talk him around, but his mind was made up.

"He is a great guy and it would have been sad if he had not had that great moment against Luton. That felt really special and more than us just getting three points."

• Like 1

Not an ex player yet but Gallagher brace looks like it's helping Preston through to the next round of the cup.

Seems to be scoring a few Preston this season.

I'm sure some fans hate him, but I'm glad he's scoring and is doing well, albeit at League One, it wasn't his fault Sven saw him as the next Beckham.

Is Gallagher our top scorer this season?

Honestly. The MLS really has not progressed in the last 10 yrs. I suppose along with Team USA, it's fair to say it's reached its level on the world football stage.

Huh - This is the 12th season I have been watching MLS.

It is light years ahead of where it was in 2006 in players, stadiums, atmosphere, tactics amongst others.

I would also point out that the USA made it to the second round of the World Cup this year and finished ahead of us in the group in 2010. So if they have reached their level then we are going backwards rapidly.

Edited by placidcasual

Huh - This is the 12th season I have been watching MLS.

It is light years ahead of where it was in 2006 in players, stadiums, atmosphere, tactics amongst others.

I would also point out that the USA made it to the second round of the World Cup this year and finished ahead of us in the group in 2010. So if they have reached their level then we are going backwards rapidly.

The U.S. reached the quarter-finals in 2002 so reaching the second round in 2014 is hardly progress.

I trust your opinion about the progress of MLS, but relative to the progress made by the domestic leagues in other countries, I don't think MLS is seen as any more progressive or appealing today than it was in the past. A lot more needs to be done to shed its reputation as a final payday for ageing stars once they get past their best.