Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Konchesky to Brighton...Again

Like others have said. The obvious weak link in our team however his experience could be invaluable as part of our squad. I can see Schlupp being top class down the left this season whether at left back or left winger with his pace. I would still sign a more recognised left back as Konch isn't good enough as a starter on the prem

He'd be good for you, his distribution can be wayward but defensively he's solid enough for a team like Brighton.

Plus he's been part of a play-off and then title winning team, used to winning games in recent years and that experience could be useful.

You could well be right , but everytime I've seen him against us he's looked rather average.

But you guys have seen him more then I have so I trust your collective judgements.

If Ghana were happy to dump Schlupp, then he must be suspect at fullback. His primary job is to defend, he is not that good at it, mainly because of his decision making and positioning, and sometimes his first touch.

I am sure NP is working overtime on these aspects, but if Jeff plays, I can see opposing teams getting around the back of us on a regular basis. The problem with Konch is that whilst a top player and with loads of experience, he does make three or four elementary errors a season which will cost points in the PL. I like the player but he scares me when in possession, I am always relieved when he launches a curling ball down into the opposition territory.

Anyway, I am sure NP will sort it one way or another, but on balance would prefer Konch to stay.

Can't make up my mind whether konchesky is worth keeping or not.

Premier league experience and fairly decent defensively but lacks pace, really poor distribution and makes a lot of errors.

This Premier League experience thing doesn't matter.

Akinbyi had prem experience but I doubt any team coming up would have took him when we went down.

The reason Konch dropped down from the Prem is because he was/is not good enough for it. Yes at Fulham he did well, but he left there in 2010. He isn't the same player now as he was back then. We should accept any bid, get rid and bring in someone who is good enough, regardless of 'Premiership Experience'...

That being said, he is good enough for a mid/high table Championship player... Where you don't have the likes of Hazard, Sterling, Sanchez, Walcot etc etc running at you.

If Schlupp hasn't improved his game at LB this pre season I can see managers exploiting that weakness of ours.

If we could get a decent fee for Konchesky and shift Bakayogo and start the season with this long awaited new left back and Schlupp to cover there and down the left flank I'd say that's good business. Especially as Konchesky will likely be released at the end of his deal (next summer) anyway. If an offer of a decent offer materialises we will surely consider cashing in. Whether it makes sense from a footballing/dressing room viewpoint is another matter altogether.

Part of me thinks this is the media recycling old rumours anyway.

If Ghana were happy to dump Schlupp, then he must be suspect at fullback. His primary job is to defend, he is not that good at it, mainly because of his decision making and positioning, and sometimes his first touch.

I am sure NP is working overtime on these aspects, but if Jeff plays, I can see opposing teams getting around the back of us on a regular basis. The problem with Konch is that whilst a top player and with loads of experience, he does make three or four elementary errors a season which will cost points in the PL. I like the player but he scares me when in possession, I am always relieved when he launches a curling ball down into the opposition territory.

Anyway, I am sure NP will sort it one way or another, but on balance would prefer Konch to stay.

THIS!

I think he provides more than just LB cover, I remember Nige saying about the dressing room taking care of itself due to older heads setting standards - Konch is likely to be one of them. He may get game time, he may not. But his experience on and off the pitch is the reason I think Nige signed him up for another year.

I'll join the 'weakest link' brigade once we have several games (will be in a better position to make judgements!) under our belt in the Prem . . . until then and based on our squad, keep. Unless the offer is spectacular!

:nigel:

He'd be more than good enough value for 80% of teams in the Championship, for another season at least (providing he cuts his wage demands). Invaluable experience and steady defensively, still got a good engine on him even in his twighlight years; and, as others have said, has been winning the majority of games he's played in over the past two seasons. Would be a decent piece of business from Brighton's point of view and would replace Upson's canny experience in their back four.

I'd be annoyed to lose him only if we didn't have somebody else lined up. In fact, I'd start to worry if Bakayogo was our second choice left back going into next season.

Why are people so eager to get rid when the only cover we have for him is arguably worse?!?

Anybody who thinks Schlupp is going to do a job at left back in the premiership is deluded!

If you haven't already guessed, I think getting rid of Konch is a terrible idea.

Why are people so eager to get rid when the only cover we have for him is arguably worse?!?

Anybody who thinks Schlupp is going to do a job at left back in the premiership is deluded!

If you haven't already guessed, I think getting rid of Konch is a terrible idea.

I think it's a great idea, but only if we've already brought in his replacement. And Nige and the boys would have to be pretty confident that whoever it was was all but guaranteed to be able to step in and give us Konch level performance right away (a level that swings wildly depending on who you ask, of course). 

Konchesky is average. Good defender but I don't think he has the legs for the premier league. He gets outpaced too easily, particularly as the game goes on. We need someone with experience, but also with some speed. Not overly arsed if he goes, aslong as we have a plan B in place.

I don't think he'll go, he was only going last year because of his wages and to get in line with FFP, he took a pay cut, signed a new contract and we're significantly better off financially now.

Archived