Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sing if you're glad to be gay

It's about people who live a niche lifestyle celebrating that lifestyle, absolutely nothing wrong with it IMO. No-one ever has a problem with the Caribbean Carnival or anything like that? It's only one day out of the year and if you don't like it, maybe don't go down to Victoria Park that day?

And - as a white, heterosexual male - all this ridiculous 'URGGH, why isn't there a white appreciation day? or a Hetero Pride day?' stuff is absolute ****ing rubbish. Get a grip.

As a white heterosexual who finds homophobia and racism abhorrent, which side am I on? Am I on the side guilty of oppressing black people and homosexuals?

Very very good question, and one (of many) I don't have an answer to. I would suggest that that sort of viewpoint is more based on wild generalisations, i.e. if you aren't part of the oppressed group, you're part of the group oppressing (whether it's actively or not). I'm not sure I agree with this, especially not as society seems to be becoming more and more liberal and accepting on the whole. In fact, I'd almost go as far to say that that viewpoint is what is holding back a lot of the progress being made (both with racial issues and homophobia) as it's isolating a whole group of people who could potentially support and help progress a cause. 

Heck, I've heard arguments implying that I'm part of the oppressing group myself, AS WELL as being one of the oppressed (supposedly), purely because I'm not actively fighting for things to change. 

Social Justice is a strange thing, and it seems everyone has their own unique interpretation.

A lot of what I've posted in this thread has been me playing Devil's Advocate as I'm not sure myself of where I sit in this whole debate, to be honest.

It's about people who live a niche lifestyle celebrating that lifestyle, absolutely nothing wrong with it IMO. No-one ever has a problem with the Caribbean Carnival or anything like that? It's only one day out of the year and if you don't like it, maybe don't go down to Victoria Park that day?

And - as a white, heterosexual male - all this ridiculous 'URGGH, why isn't there a white appreciation day? or a Hetero Pride day?' stuff is absolute ****ing rubbish. Get a grip.

Quite. I don't see what the big fuss is about. To all the "well there isn't a heterosexual pride march" people (not talking about this forum mind), if you're so bothered go and organise one yourself. Plus it annoys Daily Mail reading types so march away!!!

Clubs and other leisure outlets would serve that purpose quite adequately. To me festivals don't seem to do that. Their purpose appears to be to celebrate differences which I don't it's that helpful.

Of course it's ok to celebrate differences. We are all different at the end of the day, we live in a city where there are many different cultures and lifestyles - why should we try and hide from that and pretend we're all the same? Equality isn't just pretending that we're all the same, it's recognising that we're not and attempting to understand different cultures and lifestyles, and treating them the same regardless of their differences.

What's wrong with a niche group of people celebrating the way they live their lives?

I hate the concept of radio 1 extra, "love black music, love one extra." There'd be an uproar if there was a 'white' radio station - this isn't equality.

I quite agree with you. The idea that any activity should be assigned to a certain race makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Of course it's ok to celebrate differences. We are all different at the end of the day, we live in a city where there are many different cultures and lifestyles - why should we try and hide from that and pretend we're all the same? Equality isn't just pretending that we're all the same, it's recognising that we're not and attempting to understand different cultures and lifestyles, and treating them the same regardless of their differences.

What's wrong with a niche group of people celebrating the way they live their lives?

I know you didn't mean anything by it so I won't labour on it too much, but at no point did I say there was anything 'wrong' about these events. You might say I'm being pedantic but that language irks me a bit. It suggests I have a problem with these differences when in reality I only want to discourage drawing attention to them.

I think cultural festivals are fine because there's an actual difference in lifestyle in that case - clothes, food, beliefs etc. but that isn't the case with sexuality. A person isn't different to me because he doesn't share my sexual preference. Whenever I talk to my friend I never feel there's any divide between us in the way I would if I were speaking to, say, a Frenchman.

but were the same equality

I quite agree with you. The idea that any activity should be assigned to a certain race makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I know you didn't mean anything by it so I won't labour on it too much, but at no point did I say there was anything 'wrong' about these events. You might say I'm being pedantic but that language irks me a bit. It suggests I have a problem with these differences when in reality I only want to discourage drawing attention to them.

I think cultural festivals are fine because there's an actual difference in lifestyle in that case - clothes, food, beliefs etc. but that isn't the case with sexuality. A person isn't different to me because he doesn't share my sexual preference. Whenever I talk to my friend I never feel there's any divide between us in the way I would if I were speaking to, say, a Frenchman.

Couldn't agree more.

Personally, it's the presentation of these events I'm slightly uncomfortable with. There's only one real difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals, and I don't think it's something that either homosexuals or heterosexuals should feel the need to celebrate. Celebrating your sexuality does seem as bizarre as celebrating the colour of your skin to me.

Random point but one of our mates has come out to a few of us in our group.

We don't give a shit, he's a lads lad into football, motorbikes, etc and we have the same craic and everything as we would with anyone else in the group, it just so happens that he's gay. To me, its about as relevant as liking a different type of music.

But he refuses to tell some of our group for fear on how they'll react. One of our mates who knows has stupidly advised him not to tell the rest of the lads.

He's 30 so he's obviously been keeping mum on this for years but I'm sure its killing the poor bastard being in the closet.

Couldn't agree more.

Personally, it's the presentation of these events I'm slightly uncomfortable with. There's only one real difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals, and I don't think it's something that either homosexuals or heterosexuals should feel the need to celebrate. Celebrating your sexuality does seem as bizarre as celebrating the colour of your skin to me.

It's not though is it. It's celebrating the fact that gay folk exist and can do so without prejudice, which as yet they can't.

As for a white radio station, what would it play? Wagner? Bach? Country music (with the exception of Charlie Pride and that period DAC had a black drummer)?

There was a gay poster on here, one of smuts mates, I forgot his name. Lovely chap, in the good old days when foxestalk lot used to hang together, he was out with us and was just one of the group. He worked in finance.

I can't understand the fuss, bit if the gays want to have a day of celebration. Couldn't care less if your black white, batty boy or girl.

There was a gay poster on here, one of smuts mates, I forgot his name. Lovely chap, in the good old days when foxestalk lot used to hang together, he was out with us and was just one of the group. He worked in finance.

I can't understand the fuss, bit if the gays want to have a day of celebration. Couldn't care less if your black white, batty boy or girl.

Wasn't he called Taboo? Not sure he was actually gay though

Archived