Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnny the fox

Biggest club in the Midlands?

And why do Forest need to bang on about it when it's in the distant past? Because they've done nothing else of note. They're like Huddersfield - a couple of very good years which are quite far into the past now, and nothing since. Two good years and nothing else in over a century is not a big team.

Harsh. I think winning the European Cup as many times as Juventus is not really like Huddersfield.

Anyway Nottingham is the second biggest urban area in the Midlands so they have the second biggest population area to draw on. They’re a big club.

Shit I’m turning red…

Harsh. I think winning the European Cup as many times as Juventus is not really like Huddersfield.

Anyway Nottingham is the second biggest urban area in the Midlands so they have the second biggest population area to draw on. They’re a big club.

Shit I’m turning red…

Sunderland have won more titles than Chelsea, doesn't make them a big team, because their titles are so far in the past, likewise Huddersfield or Forest. Forests European cups were over 3 decades ago, they're hardly relevant to their stature now. 

Population area means very little. Plymouth have a huge catchment area due to the complete lack of other teams in that region - still not a big club.

Sunderland have won more titles than Chelsea, doesn't make them a big team, because their titles are so far in the past, likewise Huddersfield or Forest. Forests European cups were over 3 decades ago, they're hardly relevant to their stature now.

Population area means very little. Plymouth have a huge catchment area due to the complete lack of other teams in that region - still not a big club.

I wouldn't say that Sunderland is the best example as they are a bigger club than Chelsea. Chelsea have only become "big" because of new money. Prior to that they were pretty much a West Ham type and sized London yo yo club. Arsenal and spurs are historically the only two consistently big clubs in London.

I’m trying really hard not to be sarcastic about this, but you might have noticed that England’s main centres of population (London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds etc) also contain the biggest football clubs.

Is this a coincidence then?

I’m trying really hard not to be sarcastic about this, but you might have noticed that England’s main centres of population (London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds etc) also contain the biggest football clubs.

Is this a coincidence then?

Not entirely, a big fan base can attract the players and investment to be a big club, but big population doesn't mean big club. Forest are not a big club.

Forest do not have a larger fan base than Leicester as they have Notts county in same City.

Derby can only manage a few hundred away fans and they have to practically give the tickets away to sell out at home!

Villa are biggest club in Midlands, the Zulu warriors are way down however I think Wolves might shade us into 3rd place, just.

The argument that Forest are a big club because of their success under Clough is dull as ditchwater.

Forest achieved outstanding success between 1978 and 1980. Between 1865 and 1978, and 1980 and today, they're just another team like us. Occasionally very good years punctuated by enormous spells of dull mediocrity and a fair few years of being utter, utter shite. 15 years and counting of the latter to boot. In that time; we've seen Birmingham, Bolton, Bradford, Burnley, Cardiff, Charlton, Coventry, Palace, Derby, Fulham, Hull, Ipswich, Leicester, Man City, Norwich, Pompey, QPR, Reading, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Watford, West Brom, Wigan and Wolves all achieve what Forest have failed to do and win promotion to the Premier League.

In fact, Man City were a League One side when Forest were last in the Premier League. It was THAT long ago. 

Even in that period between 1978 and 1980, their success was remarkable because Forest were, y'know, a small club punching above their weight. 

The fact is they've spent as much time in League One as they have in the Premier League for the last 20 years. If not for that long forgotten success, there's nobody in their right mind who'd call them a big club. Their attendances are only marginally better than Sheffield Wednesday, who last won a serious trophy when The Queen was still suffering with acne and their attendances were comfortably third best in the East Midlands last season. Pretty regular occurrence that one.

It's a bit like saying Dexy's Midnight Runners are Britain's biggest band because they were number one in 1980. Laughable.

The argument that Forest are a big club because of their success under Clough is dull as ditchwater.

Forest achieved outstanding success between 1978 and 1980. Between 1865 and 1978, and 1980 and today, they're just another team like us. Occasionally very good years punctuated by enormous spells of dull mediocrity and a fair few years of being utter, utter shite. 15 years and counting of the latter to boot. In that time; we've seen Birmingham, Bolton, Bradford, Burnley, Cardiff, Charlton, Coventry, Palace, Derby, Fulham, Hull, Ipswich, Leicester, Man City, Norwich, Pompey, QPR, Reading, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Watford, West Brom, Wigan and Wolves all achieve what Forest have failed to do and win promotion to the Premier League.

In fact, Man City were a League One side when Forest were last in the Premier League. It was THAT long ago.

Even in that period between 1978 and 1980, their success was remarkable because Forest were, y'know, a small club punching above their weight.

The fact is they've spent as much time in League One as they have in the Premier League for the last 20 years. If not for that long forgotten success, there's nobody in their right mind who'd call them a big club. Their attendances are only marginally better than Sheffield Wednesday, who last won a serious trophy when The Queen was still suffering with acne and their attendances were comfortably third best in the East Midlands last season. Pretty regular occurrence that one.

It's a bit like saying Dexy's Midnight Runners are Britain's biggest band because they were number one in 1980. Laughable.

Am I the only one who, for years, thought the term was 'as dull as dishwater'?

:whistle:

I think their success was down to having the greatest football manager ever in charge of the club.

What he achieved was remarkable regardless of the size of the club.

I think their success was down to having the greatest football manager ever in charge of the club.

Cough was amazing. Imagine taking Derby from near the foot of Div2 to Div1 Champs in consecutive years!

And then to take a small, provincial club (Forest) to European Champions!

Which was exactly the reason why his achievements are lauded.

Had he achieved similar at Leeds, it would always have been seen as a continuance of Revie's legacy.

Taking not one but two small and unfashionable clubs was an incredible achievement, but it was all because of Clough. Without Clough, Derby and Forest would still be about as successful as Lamby's POF account.

As much as it's grating to hear are you saying if Clough didn't do the same with us we'd never mention it? We'd go on about it, no doubt at all. He just happened to be a genius at the two nearest clubs unfortunately, if only he'd done it with West Bromwich and Wolves, but that's the way it goes.

It's a shame that we can't match that level of achievement but in my supporting years I've seen far more trophy winning, European football, top flight games and promotions than a Nottingham Forest fan of the same time. Things change in time and hopefully we can establish ourselves as a Premier team and hopefully reach cup finals again in the next few seasons. 

I do believe we have the potential to become the best team in the whole Midlands in the next few years, we just need to show it.

Too many different perspectives, from a support view it would be Villa. For achievements has to Forest with 2 European Cups even Man Utd have only recently overtaken that. Wolves are a good all rounder. I think living in Cornwall away from the midlands makes it easier to judge fan base wise I think many would be suprised how many Leicester fans are around down here  

Archived