Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbo17J2

Pearson has to go!

Still so early in the season, the bottom half of the table will change almost every week between now and the end of the season. Teams will have good runs, teams will have poor runs, teams will have abysmal runs like our current one. We're not being cut adrift. We're not being left behind. We're in the relegation zone on goal difference, and a win against a fellow struggler would propel us up the table. That's how tight the bottom half of this league is.

We all know this run is awful; uninspiring, gutless and limp, however surely we've seen enough of Pearson to see the bigger picture of the fantastic job he has done of turning this club around from the mess left by Sven? Surely we can see what he's building here? Surely he has the potential to take us further in the long-term than a short-term 'relegation-saver' like Pulis? Who, by the way, is in no way 'guaranteed' to keep us in the division.

6 games ago, we were praising the way this club is run from top to bottom. Our excellent owners, the coaching staff and the sport science side of things, Pearson's squad-building and performance against better sides, the players' effort, attitude and quality. We know that has vanished without a trace in the next 6 games and that is something we need to address. But I for one am confident that Pearson can do so.

People criticise yesterday for the lack of ambition and creativity. However, for me it was clear that we needed a scrappy point or even stolen victory (ala Stoke away), and so defending stoutly and keeping it 0-0 for as long as possible, when we're this short on confidence, was the necessary way to go against a team 2nd in the league. If we had pulled it off and kept a clean sheet, this place would be much happier, the team would have a bit of confidence, we'd be out of the relegation zone and Pearson's approach to the game would have been praised. As it happened, they had too much quality for that, and who knows? - we may have been better off having a go. But I could see that we needed a scrappy point and we weren't far off achieving it.

We were always expecting to lose against Southampton, so I don't know why the 'Pearson out' support has got more vocal since West Brom. Little has changed in my opinion. The next two games are still huge for Pearson to show he can turn it around. But still, unless we're cut adrift at the bottom with NP looking clueless, I'd have faith in him. He's been brilliant for this club, without him we probably wouldn't be playing in this division for the first time in 10 years.

Keep the faith  :scarf:

My feelings as well.

II think Pearson has formed a very strong relationship with the club and Thais in particular... I honestly don't think the thais have the bottle to sack him. Can't see it happening even if we go down! I know they are businessmen, but I think they are quite soft

None of us know his remit? We don't know what budget he has. We don't know the owners view of possible relegation. Perhaps they are relaxed about it in the knowledge we can get promoted with this squad.

Maybe the owners want some of their investment back and his budget is tight as a response. Perhaps Riyadh has already been sold ahead of January? Perhaps Nigel needs those funds to strengthen and cannot afford for him to get a long term injury. hence he isn't playing him. the point is we are blind to the realities at the club. if his remit was to spend what he wants and that we have to stay up then his next 3 or 4 games could be his last here.

Guest LCFC_World

If owners sacked managers because of a bad run, then there would be 5x as many sackings. Its ridiculous to want him gone because of a bad run,

If owners sacked managers because of a bad run, then there would be 5x as many sackings. Its ridiculous to want him gone because of a bad run,

That's fair enough. And if he does turn it around, I will be the first to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong

You've got to keep him, surely. The only worry is the precedent has been set by Southampton when they got shut of Adkins, they got lucky and it worked. Having said that I got slated on here early in the season for saying that NP changed too much, too quickly and lost his winning formula from last season.

We have stuck with ours, and while you may laugh, because we are still bottom, there is still that really tight knit team feeling about us, which you seem to have lost.

Pearson out? not yet, 2 games Sunderland and QPR where we need minimum 4 points.

If we get 0 points or just even 1 point and Pearson plays this ridiculous diamond and they play badly he's gotta go!

Why they are in trouble-

Hindered by a rumoured wage cap to sign 2 or 3 quality quality proven players.

Pearson thinks he's a tactical wizard (not) when he hasn't the players to adjust to different formations, STICK TO OUR STRENGTHS.

THIS AS LED TO,

The defence is quite simply not good enough.

It is plain to see we needed a left back, central defender, and one more quality forward.

Persisting with adjusting the formation week in  week out against different opposition.

THEORY- Is Cambiasso having more of a influence on Pearson with us being so defensive?

Europe in 3 years don't make laugh! Pearson is struggling with the premiership what makes you think he can cope with European football?

Much as it pains me to say we are in freefall we don't have a clue so lets not get to Christmas and still be saying, "give him more time" "Pearson has been great for the club" "we wouldn't be where we are without Pearson" 

No room for sentiment unless you are prepared for relegation.

Disappointed by our lack of cojones at the moment. A team that won't keep clean sheets in the majority of games is set up with no attacking ability or intent.

If things go to plan we might get a draw but as soon as the other side score one the absolute best we can achieve is a draw.

A single point on a good day just isn't going to be enough.

I could accept relegation with the team having given it a go but to go down with a whimper would be unforgiveable.

You've got to keep him, surely. The only worry is the precedent has been set by Southampton when they got shut of Adkins, they got lucky and it worked. Having said that I got slated on here early in the season for saying that NP changed too much, too quickly and lost his winning formula from last season.

We have stuck with ours, and while you may laugh, because we are still bottom, there is still that really tight knit team feeling about us, which you seem to have lost.

I agree with you.

When the first goal went in yesterday the players looked down their heads dropped and they trudged back to the half way line. That's when we needed our manager on the side line giving them encouragement, telling them to lift there heads , motivating them.

The 2nd goal went in all our players dropped to there knees and that was it game over. 2 minutes later Pearson was on the touchline unfortunately it was too late by then.

People on here can laugh and mock you guys but you've kept your team spirit. Something which looks like we've lost.

'If you can't change the people, sometimes you need to change the people..."

Thanks for clearing that up.

Not sure why you highlighted this, you understand the phrase I take it.

I think the phrase is:

If you can't change the people then change the person?

For me Pearson is on borrowed time. I won't deny he has done a remarkable job and turned this club around, but the bottom line is that is in the past. What matters is where we are now.

The next two games are absolutely crucial. Lose both, he's gone.

Just look at Newcastle - didn't sack their manager and have gone on a small run, it's got them up from 19th to currently 7th in a very short space of time. The league is still so tight there is plenty of scope to recover. 

Don't sack.

You don't just get promoted and expect to perform and pick up points week in and week out - we came up 1st and as the three promotion teams came up, they're all residing in the bottom 3, as expected, this IS expected. May be hard because Leicester were outperforming teams every week in the Championship, but we've entered a division where 17 teams are better than us, and have more experience than us, and more quality than us - you can't say Pearson out, you can't even say Pearson out if we end up relegated, he's been our most successful manager since O'Neil and developed a determined, well disciplined team - his team, that actually fight and will fight till the very end for him. He picks whoever he thinks will do the job on the day and I back him 100%.

You're entitled to your opinions, but you're ****ing clueless to suggest sacking a manager from a few poor performances and essentially some harsh luck and truths.

Wouldn't be saying this if the freak own goal last week went the other way, or if Burnley skied their free-kick a few weeks ago.

Far too reasonable this mate.

Ok. Insults and bullshit aside.

Changing the manager is not always the way to go. Stability is an important thing in football that is becoming less and less common but that does not apply to every situation.

I hear the words, 'dont be an idiot', 'he's turned it round before', 'kneejerk reaction' etc etc etc and in a way, I do admire those who can show that kind of loyalty through a rough time like this. The one phrase that really moves me to my thoughts is when people say, 'you weren't saying that after 5 games'. Obviously not, but this is what i'm finding most alarming.

During any bad run of form that is inevitable in football, you can often see signs that it wont go on. A passionate Captain, a rousing interview, a performance not deserving of a defeat but we are not seeing any of that.

The decline since half time at Palace has been so dramatic and so sudden, that the alarm bells have started ringing with me. Aside from the awful performances, the body language of the players, the managers hostility and the absence of certain players is hugely worrying.

Nigel Pearson has always come across as an intelligent, calm, controlled individual who speaks a lot of sense and exhumes confidence even during sticky patches of form. He is currently not displaying any of those traits. Since the Burnley game, nothing of what he's saying is making any sense. Yesterdays 'we're not in a position to play wingers' comment being an example. We have a talented squad that can cope with a team like Southampton and give them a good game but what we saw was a cowering whimper of a performance and I don't understand why? Where has the bravery gone? How can players seemingly become so poor and unreliable overnight (again something you hear from many that cant happen)?

Unfortunately when I used to see a lot of Martin O'Neill in Pearson, now i'm seeing more Peter Taylor. After a good start to his tenure, many called for his head after a disastrous run of form. 'You werent saying that at Christmas', 'I bet you wanted O'Neill out', 'he'll sort it out', were the sort of comments said then. Sound familiar? We kept faith, gave him a summer and more money and what followed was, well, we all remember.

If we'd have acted sooner then, perhaps we wouldnt have had so many years in the wilderness, who knows? Maybe it wouldnt have made any difference. Maybe sacking Pearson now will just serve to compound our woes and he should be given time. If I could see anything to give me reason to think that he could turn things around, believe me, I wouldnt be of the opinion that I am. All I'm unfortunately seeing is no way out and Pearsons actions and words are not steering me away, rather further towards the thought that replacing him now is a good option.

It's a good post and I do understand your point about waiting too long but Taylor didn't do anything with the club initially, he didn't take us anywhere or win anything, he simply came in and destroyed 4 years of hard work with poor signings and bad strategy. Pearson has built - over two spells - everything this club has achieved over the last 3 or 4 seasons. He has lead us to success in the past and overcome poor runs in the process. He's not a stupid man and he and the staff will know that it's not working right now.

It's because of what he's achieved with us, I'm prepared to stick my neck out and back the guy This season was never going to be a walk in the park and back in July a LOT of people said they'd be happy with 17th this season.  I think we all have to accept there will be a few bad results this season but we're not cut off, we've not been trounced by anyone and just need to find the best formation and side to get us some points. I'm still happy with 17th but a few seem to think 7th was achievable.

The most telling thing was the thread that said "Who's YOUR best team?" After about 40 replies there were 36 different answers. We need patience, we need to hold our nerve and maybe, just maybe, show some faith in a guy who it's worth remembering has the best win ratio of any post-war City manager.

Why do people seem to think we only want to get rid of Pearson because of Southampton getting "lucky" after sacking Adkins? That wasn't luck, that was astute running of a football club. Are people forgetting about Crystal Palace and Sunderland last season? If the right appointment is made it will work and there are managers available that would be the right appointment.

I really feel for Nigel as it seems unbelievable that his job should be under threat after just 6 poor consecutive performances but I think he has made one diastrous decision after another since we got promoted. I think he thought we'd be good enough with the squad that ended last season and his continued tinkering with the team has been ridiculous.

I think he's got it into his head that we played a number of different systems last year when we clearly didn't and when we did play anything other than 4-4-2 we were often crap. 1st half at boro 1st game a prize example we were diabolical and similar to yesterdays inept performance. Lets be honest at the moment we don't look a particularly good championship side in the Premiership.

I feel if we don't get a win against Sunderland or QPR he'll have to go as it becomes Mortons Fork for the Chairman as we'll effectively be down anyway. If they get rid of him after the QPR game that would give the new man a month to get to know the players and their deficiencies with a view to bringing in 3 or 4 players of Premiership quality to at least give us a bit of a fighting chance. Either way it's not looking good for us as we're clearly not up to Premier League standard which hurts to admit but is clearly the truth.

Who they bring in though is a tough one Pulis (dour)? Mancini (unproven)? Moyes (unlikely to come to Leicester)?

Archived