Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burbo17J2

Pearson has to go!

Ok. Insults and bullshit aside.

Changing the manager is not always the way to go. Stability is an important thing in football that is becoming less and less common but that does not apply to every situation.

I hear the words, 'dont be an idiot', 'he's turned it round before', 'kneejerk reaction' etc etc etc and in a way, I do admire those who can show that kind of loyalty through a rough time like this. The one phrase that really moves me to my thoughts is when people say, 'you weren't saying that after 5 games'. Obviously not, but this is what i'm finding most alarming.

During any bad run of form that is inevitable in football, you can often see signs that it wont go on. A passionate Captain, a rousing interview, a performance not deserving of a defeat but we are not seeing any of that.

The decline since half time at Palace has been so dramatic and so sudden, that the alarm bells have started ringing with me. Aside from the awful performances, the body language of the players, the managers hostility and the absence of certain players is hugely worrying.

Nigel Pearson has always come across as an intelligent, calm, controlled individual who speaks a lot of sense and exhumes confidence even during sticky patches of form. He is currently not displaying any of those traits. Since the Burnley game, nothing of what he's saying is making any sense. Yesterdays 'we're not in a position to play wingers' comment being an example. We have a talented squad that can cope with a team like Southampton and give them a good game but what we saw was a cowering whimper of a performance and I don't understand why? Where has the bravery gone? How can players seemingly become so poor and unreliable overnight (again something you hear from many that cant happen)?

Unfortunately when I used to see a lot of Martin O'Neill in Pearson, now i'm seeing more Peter Taylor. After a good start to his tenure, many called for his head after a disastrous run of form. 'You werent saying that at Christmas', 'I bet you wanted O'Neill out', 'he'll sort it out', were the sort of comments said then. Sound familiar? We kept faith, gave him a summer and more money and what followed was, well, we all remember.

If we'd have acted sooner then, perhaps we wouldnt have had so many years in the wilderness, who knows? Maybe it wouldnt have made any difference. Maybe sacking Pearson now will just serve to compound our woes and he should be given time. If I could see anything to give me reason to think that he could turn things around, believe me, I wouldnt be of the opinion that I am. All I'm unfortunately seeing is no way out and Pearsons actions and words are not steering me away, rather further towards the thought that replacing him now is a good option.

Good post. I do understand the pearson support, but the signs are more significant that just the results

Excellent assessment and Pulis seems to know how to survive in the Premiership but I'm not convinced his methods would work with our players and it would be a short-term appointment anyway because he doesn't show the sophistication to take a team forward in terms of class.

Our owners have indicated they want to be more than just survivors so we need someone not just with the philosophy we aspire to but also a tactician who can evolve a team that can and will adapt when necessary.

Right now we have no philosophy, have no balance, are far too limited in our options and, even if we weren't, most ofour players seem to be performing way below their capabilities.

We've bought poorly over the close season, there's little sign of anyone emerging from the Academy in the short term and you have to question our training ground work because we're still failing even with some of the basic needs which have been shortcomings for years.

Pearson has talked about attending to "details" but doesn't seem to be doing that. He's become a managerial spoiler but I see no evidence of our own side evolving.

Changing the manager is not always the way to go. Stability is an important thing in football that is becoming less and less common but that does not apply to every situation.

I hear the words, 'dont be an idiot', 'he's turned it round before', 'kneejerk reaction' etc etc etc and in a way, I do admire those who can show that kind of loyalty through a rough time like this. The one phrase that really moves me to my thoughts is when people say, 'you weren't saying that after 5 games'. Obviously not, but this is what i'm finding most alarming.

During any bad run of form that is inevitable in football, you can often see signs that it wont go on. A passionate Captain, a rousing interview, a performance not deserving of a defeat but we are not seeing any of that.

The decline since half time at Palace has been so dramatic and so sudden, that the alarm bells have started ringing with me. Aside from the awful performances, the body language of the players, the managers hostility and the absence of certain players is hugely worrying.

Nigel Pearson has always come across as an intelligent, calm, controlled individual who speaks a lot of sense and exhumes confidence even during sticky patches of form. He is currently not displaying any of those traits. Since the Burnley game, nothing of what he's saying is making any sense. Yesterdays 'we're not in a position to play wingers' comment being an example. We have a talented squad that can cope with a team like Southampton and give them a good game but what we saw was a cowering whimper of a performance and I don't understand why? Where has the bravery gone? How can players seemingly become so poor and unreliable overnight (again something you hear from many that cant happen)?

Unfortunately when I used to see a lot of Martin O'Neill in Pearson, now i'm seeing more Peter Taylor. After a good start to his tenure, many called for his head after a disastrous run of form. 'You werent saying that at Christmas', 'I bet you wanted O'Neill out', 'he'll sort it out', were the sort of comments said then. Sound familiar? We kept faith, gave him a summer and more money and what followed was, well, we all remember.

If we'd have acted sooner then, perhaps we wouldnt have had so many years in the wilderness, who knows? Maybe it wouldnt have made any difference. Maybe sacking Pearson now will just serve to compound our woes and he should be given time. If I could see anything to give me reason to think that he could turn things around, believe me, I wouldnt be of the opinion that I am. All I'm unfortunately seeing is no way out and Pearsons actions and words are not steering me away, rather further towards the thought that replacing him now is a good option.

This......top post.

Some big decisions have to be made by the owners, NP isn't up to the job in the Premiership so despite winning the Championship, he needs to be replaced ASAP.

I've said all along he was limited tactically and fails the be able to turn things around in games.

That said I was happy just to be in the Premiership but if we are to stay there the current management team have to go.

Who we will bring in is anyone's guess, but our owners have money to improve the team, that's if they want to or maybe they are happy just to have got their 15 mins of fame and recouped some of the money invested.

Clearly a change needs to happen before Jan late Nov would be ideal giving the new manager time to bring his own players in.

Come on all the anti PEARSON comments are getting a bit too much let's give the bloke till January lets see if he will do or if the board allow him to make any significant signings when the window opens,we all know we need to bring in a bit more quality someone who will find the net as our strikers are failing to find it at the minute .

It's frustrating how we've gone from superb form draws against top sides and that dreamland performance against Manchester utd,we know we have it in us to bring it to the opposition but what has gone on why have they suddenly gone from great to not so good what's the reason for our current form or lack of??

There has been far too much tinkering with the squad and formations does NIGEL really actually know his best 11?

Let's just give him a bit longer to see if he has the quality to sort this drop in form and turn things around as we know he is capable of doing such a thing!

And no it's not about loyalty to NIGEL as a supporter of this club to want to give him a bit more time but the love for our club,we get rid of him and the free fall continues we get instability but there is that one tiny chance we get ourselves a Ronald Koeman but who knows let's just back him a bit longer and not call for his head just yet instability is an implosive thing it can destroy our premiership survival so let's just stick with what we have and just being superb supporters of our great club!!

Onwards and upwards .

I'm sorry, but Peter Taylor's failure is not proof that Nigel Pearson will fail. Nigel Pearson has never, over the course of a full season, failed to meet the expectations here. He has also managed to keep Carlisle and Southampton up when involved in relegation battles. You can't just decide that Pearson is going to fail to turn things around because an entirely different human being once failed in circumstances that are completely different.

If you need to see something to convince you that Nigel will turn it around, have a look at how  we responded to our bad run in 2012/2013.

I'm sorry, but Peter Taylor's failure is not proof that Nigel Pearson will fail. Nigel Pearson has never, over the course of a full season, failed to meet the expectations here. He has also managed to keep Carlisle and Southampton up when involved in relegation battles. You can't just decide that Pearson is going to fail to turn things around because an entirely different human being once failed in circumstances that are completely different.

If you need to see something to convince you that Nigel will turn it around, have a look at how  we responded to our bad run in 2012/2013.

He simply doesn't have the same time as 12/13. I understand your points but for the owners this isn't lets have a go but it's ok if we go down because NP has done well in the past. This is about the here and now, and the reality of life mate is your judged on current form not past glories. If that was case kenny Dalgleish would still be managing Liverpool and so on.

The sentiment of what you say is fine but - after our summer recruitment - is it really sensible to have him choosing our next lot of recruits come the January window? 

For me it's down to philosophy and our owners need to speak with Pearson and be sure that he has or is prepared to adapt the kind of strategies that will maintain our progress and continue to lift our profile. And that means anything but the kind of dourist football we're delivering right now.

If he's the right bloke then let him explain his vision to the owners and show signs of delivering. If not then he might as well be gone tomorrow because - whether we're relegated or not - we need to be managed in a manner that pursues our objectives and visions for the club.

And that won't include apologist football with over 400 minutes without a goal and the last 90 whole minutes without a shot on target. And often against ordinary opposition. It's hardly believeable to be honest. But it does seem to eflect the manager's apparent obsession with what the opposition do rather than what we're going to do.  And a few other things I suspect because something is very wrong right now. 

Remember the Newcastle match a few weeks ago when many Newcastle fans were calling for their manager's head after a run of poor performances and results.  At that time Newcastle looked really weak.  After their 1-0 win against us they haven't looked back and the calls for the managers head have quietened down.

We know that our players can perform better than they are doing now.  They all need a confidence boost that comes from a win.  They may not be the standard of most teams in the PL but that's to be expected, we've just been promoted.  Some of them will make the grade, others not, and by January we'll need to strengthen in those areas where the players haven't made the step up.

Whether or not NP develops into a PL manager is still in question but he's got us there, been given a new contract and IMO should be given the time to do the job.  I feel uneasy about some of the tactics but I don't see the players in training or have any method of assessing their suitability or commitment other than on a match day, so rely on the manager to do the best for the club - and although it isn't going well at present I would like to see NP given the time and resources to make this work.

Still so early in the season, the bottom half of the table will change almost every week between now and the end of the season. Teams will have good runs, teams will have poor runs, teams will have abysmal runs like our current one. We're not being cut adrift. We're not being left behind. We're in the relegation zone on goal difference, and a win against a fellow struggler would propel us up the table. That's how tight the bottom half of this league is.

We all know this run is awful; uninspiring, gutless and limp, however surely we've seen enough of Pearson to see the bigger picture of the fantastic job he has done of turning this club around from the mess left by Sven? Surely we can see what he's building here? Surely he has the potential to take us further in the long-term than a short-term 'relegation-saver' like Pulis? Who, by the way, is in no way 'guaranteed' to keep us in the division.

6 games ago, we were praising the way this club is run from top to bottom. Our excellent owners, the coaching staff and the sport science side of things, Pearson's squad-building and performance against better sides, the players' effort, attitude and quality. We know that has vanished without a trace in the next 6 games and that is something we need to address. But I for one am confident that Pearson can do so.

People criticise yesterday for the lack of ambition and creativity. However, for me it was clear that we needed a scrappy point or even stolen victory (ala Stoke away), and so defending stoutly and keeping it 0-0 for as long as possible, when we're this short on confidence, was the necessary way to go against a team 2nd in the league. If we had pulled it off and kept a clean sheet, this place would be much happier, the team would have a bit of confidence, we'd be out of the relegation zone and Pearson's approach to the game would have been praised. As it happened, they had too much quality for that, and who knows? - we may have been better off having a go. But I could see that we needed a scrappy point and we weren't far off achieving it.

We were always expecting to lose against Southampton, so I don't know why the 'Pearson out' support has got more vocal since West Brom. Little has changed in my opinion. The next two games are still huge for Pearson to show he can turn it around. But still, unless we're cut adrift at the bottom with NP looking clueless, I'd have faith in him. He's been brilliant for this club, without him we probably wouldn't be playing in this division for the first time in 10 years.

Keep the faith  :scarf:

Remember the Newcastle match a few weeks ago when many Newcastle fans were calling for their manager's head after a run of poor performances and results.  At that time Newcastle looked really weak.  After their 1-0 win against us they haven't looked back and the calls for the managers head have quietened down.

We know that our players can perform better than they are doing now.  They all need a confidence boost that comes from a win.  They may not be the standard of most teams in the PL but that's to be expected, we've just been promoted.  Some of them will make the grade, others not, and by January we'll need to strengthen in those areas where the players haven't made the step up.

Whether or not NP develops into a PL manager is still in question but he's got us there, been given a new contract and IMO should be given the time to do the job.  I feel uneasy about some of the tactics but I don't see the players in training or have any method of assessing their suitability or commitment other than on a match day, so rely on the manager to do the best for the club - and although it isn't going well at present I would like to see NP given the time and resources to make this work.

Sorry mate not picking on you. But the fans still want pardew and Ashley out, that will not change. Yes they have been placated a little but the situation up there is far more complex than a few wins. Indeed those wins have not been sparkling performances. The issues up here are far from over. I take the sentiment of your post but the pardew comparison is not legitimate.

Sorry mate not picking on you. But the fans still want pardew and Ashley out, that will not change. Yes they have been placated a little but the situation up there is far more complex than a few wins. Indeed those wins have not been sparkling performances. The issues up here are far from over. I take the sentiment of your post but the pardew comparison is not legitimate.

Fair enough, I only see things from afar and don't know any Newcastle supporters.

But whether people like it or not if you can't change the people, sometimes you need to change the people. I hope he reflects in the next two weeks.

'If you can't change the people, sometimes you need to change the people..."

Thanks for clearing that up.

Come on all the anti PEARSON comments are getting a bit too much let's give the bloke till January lets see if he will do or if the board allow him to make any significant signings when the window opens,we all know we need to bring in a bit more quality someone who will find the net as our strikers are failing to find it at the minute .

It's frustrating how we've gone from superb form draws against top sides and that dreamland performance against Manchester utd,we know we have it in us to bring it to the opposition but what has gone on why have they suddenly gone from great to not so good what's the reason for our current form or lack of??

There has been far too much tinkering with the squad and formations does NIGEL really actually know his best 11?

Let's just give him a bit longer to see if he has the quality to sort this drop in form and turn things around as we know he is capable of doing such a thing!

And no it's not about loyalty to NIGEL as a supporter of this club to want to give him a bit more time but the love for our club,we get rid of him and the free fall continues we get instability but there is that one tiny chance we get ourselves a Ronald Koeman but who knows let's just back him a bit longer and not call for his head just yet instability is an implosive thing it can destroy our premiership survival so let's just stick with what we have and just being superb supporters of our great club!!

Onwards and upwards .

Agree with you, but the stubborness of him not to change what is not working, is getting harder and harder each game to tolerate.

If he refuses to change things, I don't want it to late to save the season, but if we can see vast improvements, he needs a chance to prove he has what it takes, it's over to Pearson now, to get the best out of the squad he's assembled.

One thing that does make me laugh is the standard phrases a lot of fans turn to when the team hits some bad form or the manager appears to make a few bad decisions.

"He's arrogant", "He's stubborn", "He's clueless", "He's out of his depth" (my personal favourite) etc...

I've seen it from many clubs and it's funny how it's always the same problem.

This is not me defending Nige's recent decisions, some of which I have disagreed with (especially the diamond!!), but I love how the majority of fans probably think they could do a better job.

First it was "he's changing it too much", now it's "he's kept it the same with the wrong formation, change it!!". Who knows whether going to Southampton with Mahrez and Knockaert on the wings in a 4-4-2 would have worked any better. Many would argue "at least we would have had a go" and I'd have to agree that it would certainly have been less depressing. I too want to see that attacking intent return and am concerned with the conservative tactics and obsession with stopping the opposition. We are showing too much respect to the opposition. Some of them (e.g Southampton, Swansea) deserve it, others don't (WBA at HOME!!). However, looking at how we've played this season, one thing Pearson hasn't been is stubborn. He's tried and used different formations, different player combinations and different tactics. We've played this diamond for two games in a row and he's stubborn??

In my opinion, the learning curve for Pearson has been a lot bigger than both we and he thought it would be. Recruitment has left a lot to be desired. How much of that is down to the manager? We're not really in a position to say. We can all speculate whether there were funds available and he chose to stick with the same players or whether he wanted to make a lot more signings and either didn't have the funds or we didn't have the appeal as a newly promoted club. There are plenty of examples of us missing out (Cresswell - who we had tracked for ages, Campbell to name two) and us being linked with players who then moved to another PL club (Sakho, Pelle etc..). I think this shows he has had a lot more difficulty in the transfer market than he thought he would. He even said so in the press many times in pre-season. 

My overall instinct is to stick with him. I know many will slate me for the typical line of "he's turned it round before so he can do it again" but I genuinely believe that. If turning things round before doesn't get you the time to do it again then what does?? Performances have been poor, yes. However, we've been in far worse positions and he's dragged us up over and over again, given the time. League One, 3 wins in 18 games, the Watford play-offs. All of those were far far worse than what we look at now. 

No matter what you say he does deserve the chance and he is a good manager, we know that. It's just depressing seeing the number of people adamant he's not the right man now. I don't want to go back to the manager merry-go-round we used to have. I want people to be given a chance. Managers don't just become Premier League standard overnight, just like players don't. I may well be wrong. He could struggle to learn and adapt. In my opinion he's trying to hard to adapt and it could be his downfall. However, give the guy a chance and I'm confident we will pull through.

That said, the next two games are big ones. Two very winnable games where at least one win is vital and 6 points is not so ridiculous to expect, given our recent points tally.

A final thought. The complaints of dour football and the solution of Tony Pulis are laughable. Go and have a think about the catastrophic contradiction there.

II think Pearson has formed a very strong relationship with the club and Thais in particular... I honestly don't think the thais have the bottle to sack him. Can't see it happening even if we go down! I know they are businessmen, but I think they are quite soft

Archived