Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

That has to be it. Pearson needs to go.

Relegated to league one, in the doldrums, Pearson comes in and TURNS IT AROUND.

Squad destroyed by Sousa and Sven, full of mercenaries, desperately needing costs cutting, Pearson comes in and TURNS IT AROUND.

Bad run of form, nearly costs us a play off place, players short on confidence, Nigel Pearson TURNS IT AROUND.

Premier league, barely spent a penny, lose against Liverpool and away at Villa, Leicester fans: fvckin sack him he'll never turn it around.

"Keep the faith" they said. Have a look at yourselves.

+1 (would give it more if I could)

What are you doing in here talking sense, Moose? You're supposed to be in General Chat talking crap!  :xmaswink:

NP stated at the start of the season that the players that had achieved promotion had the right to prove themselves in the Premier League. That attitude generates loyalty from the squad, and I applauded it. Unfortunately it is now apparent that many of them have not made the improvements necessary, with the result that we are getting outclassed, even by the 'poor' teams, week in, week out. There's can't be much confidence around so that won't help the players achieve their potential.

The problems seem to be too widespread for a quick fix. Changing the manager may have an effect, but it won't improve the quality of the existing squad. That could be done by careful acquisition of quality players but January has been the time when average players are obtained for large sums by desperate managers. If we can get the right players for the right price then fine, but I wouldn't want to see the coffers emptied for rubbish and us having to deal with the legacy for years.

Pretty much everyone supported the idea of giving our league winning squad a go in the premier league. It seemed like a good idea as well because it would give Pearson time to assess where we really are in terms of premiership quality. It remains a good idea, as long as Pearson is allowed to see it through by bringing in the improvements he now knows are required. People calling for person's head are guilty of selective memory, you go back a few months on this forum and everyone agreed that we'll struggle and that Pearson deserves time to sort it. What has changed?

Pretty much everyone supported the idea of giving our league winning squad a go in the premier league. It seemed like a good idea as well because it would give Pearson time to assess where we really are in terms of premiership quality. It remains a good idea, as long as Pearson is allowed to see it through by bringing in the improvements he now knows are required. People calling for person's head are guilty of selective memory, you go back a few months on this forum and everyone agreed that we'll struggle and that Pearson deserves time to sort it. What has changed?

I agree, but at what point last season did we play a diamond of 4 centre midfielders, give so much respect to bang average opposition or have Schlupp as first choice left winger? I am/was all for giving the opportunity to those who got us here in the first place, but surely in a manner that they were used to playing in.

I understand that the quality of opposition has improved, and so we needed to adapt certain elements of our approach to games, but the shape, intesity, style etc are/were all different in the games versus Sunderland, QPR, Villa, West Brom etc than they were for say Derby, QPR, Burnley last season - when there is hardly a huge gulf in class between the quality of the opposition.

But he is right though, Pearson has the record for turning things around. My concern is that he won't get enough time to do that and we'll be relegated before he can sort the problem.

My other concern is that the problems are usually solved by transfer windows and not tactical changes. Pearson himself said that recruitment is key, under his reign I don't think that could be any more evident. Sadly for whatever reason we were frustrated in the transfer market this summer... will the January window prove any more useful and will it leave us enough time?

We all know Pearson is no tactical genius, but his team building in terms of spirit, application and recruitment have often been second to none. If we manage to pull off a couple of transfer in January it could change everything. If we get frustrated again then it could solve nothing.

What concerns me is that the summer was the time to recruit and for whatever reason it didnt happen. January is not the time to be trying to improve so significantly.

Yes he is right that Pearson has done well in the past. Nobody will dispute the miracles he worked in League 1 and the Championship. Part of the reasoning given behind our Championship slump was that there were disruptive influences in the squad that needed to be eradicated. He achieved that and the following season (much to our suprise) we romped it.

That excuse isnt here now. The majority of the squad have been under his control for quite a long time now in preperation for taking our place in the Premiership.

Its now a concern that even against the poorer teams in the Prem, these players struggle. For Villa to have nearly 70% possession against us when their main midfielder is out injured is frighteningly dreadful.

I'll be honest with you, I thought the time for him to go was quite a while back when games against the lesser opposition we could have racked up some points. Now I doubt anyone would take the job as the fixtures are unkind to say the least over Christmas.

The clubs loyalty to Pearson will probably see us relegated and i'm not convinced he'll take us back up again. The Championship looks even more competitive than usual this year and those teams that miss out on promotion will be stronger next year.

10 years was too long for us to take getting back and it's heartbreaking to see us not even looking like we can survive.

If he was going to go, he would have gone by now. Nigel wont get sacked so its pointless discussing it now. All we can do is wait to be relegated and pray that he can turn it around.

I'd like to know how sacking the manager would help the situation?

I see our problem at the moment being down to individual errors.

The only team that have been greatly successful after sacking their manager is Southampton, but that was a calm calculated decision and if our owners find someone they truly believe to be better then I have no problem with that.

Pearson usually improves sides and I think a lot will depend on how much business we can do in January.

What concerns me is that the summer was the time to recruit and for whatever reason it didnt happen. January is not the time to be trying to improve so significantly.

Yes he is right that Pearson has done well in the past. Nobody will dispute the miracles he worked in League 1 and the Championship. Part of the reasoning given behind our Championship slump was that there were disruptive influences in the squad that needed to be eradicated. He achieved that and the following season (much to our suprise) we romped it.

That excuse isnt here now. The majority of the squad have been under his control for quite a long time now in preperation for taking our place in the Premiership.

Its now a concern that even against the poorer teams in the Prem, these players struggle. For Villa to have nearly 70% possession against us when their main midfielder is out injured is frighteningly dreadful.

I'll be honest with you, I thought the time for him to go was quite a while back when games against the lesser opposition we could have racked up some points. Now I doubt anyone would take the job as the fixtures are unkind to say the least over Christmas.

The clubs loyalty to Pearson will probably see us relegated and i'm not convinced he'll take us back up again. The Championship looks even more competitive than usual this year and those teams that miss out on promotion will be stronger next year.

10 years was too long for us to take getting back and it's heartbreaking to see us not even looking like we can survive.

If he was going to go, he would have gone by now. Nigel wont get sacked so its pointless discussing it now. All we can do is wait to be relegated and pray that he can turn it around.

lol

Seriously, where do you take the energy to write stuff like that? Would you like us to forfeit every single one of the remaining 23 games in this division?

We're hardly way off safety. Lost by small margins in most cases, don't look far off pace with the rest of the bottom half of the table. We've been unlucky, clumsy and slow at times - attributes which we've brought onto ourselves but the dedication and high spirits are all there.

Somebody tell them to pull that switch and finally start firing on all cylinders.

We need more cohesion, more PL talent and with the right signings in January, we can definitely go places.

... the man who ... has the answer to all our problems.

FINALLY some recognition! J

Well, if it was only me then you could just ignore me as a deluded nut.

I don’t claim to know more about tactics and formations than a Premiership manager. But I do know that not many other teams play the way that we have chosen to play. Even Liverpool only played with one up front and packed the midfield the other night. Is Brendan Rogers wrong then? The result: 3 goals from midfielders. 442 has been largely discredited as a top-level formation. Do any other Prem teams regularly play it? Maybe Burnley. Only England play it at international level – which says it all really.

It’s just common sense that doesn’t apply to just football.  If the majority of the ‘action’ takes place in the middle of the pitch then where should we deploy most of our players? Up front? Vardy's high-pressing game is great against Doncaster and Brighton. Top defenders though will just pass it round you.

Do you play chess? Same principle: Occupy and control the middle of the board and you will control the game.

Military strategy? Occupy the middle of the battlefield as this ensures that you have good lines of communications to the flanks and to the rear.

I could go on but you’ve probably given up reading this by now.

lol

Seriously, where do you take the energy to write stuff like that? Would you like us to forfeit every single one of the remaining 23 games in this division?

We're hardly way off safety. Lost by small margins in most cases, don't look far off pace with the rest of the bottom half of the table. We've been unlucky, clumsy and slow at times - attributes which we've brought onto ourselves but the dedication and high spirits are all there.

Somebody tell them to pull that switch and finally start firing on all cylinders.

We need more cohesion, more PL talent and with the right signings in January, we can definitely go places.

Your blind faith is admirable it really is. Unfortunately over christmas and new year those 23 games reduce significantly and with our form and the teams we're playing, by the time Easter comes, I very much fear that our exit from the prem will be all but confirmed.

Hope you're right and i'm wrong bit I cant see it.

This is true, and if you go back 8 months, I'm sure you'll find the same people suggesting that the squad could make the step up, and scared of losing them to lower prem sides if you go back a further 4 months. The squad hasn't stepped up like we'd have wanted, but Nigel has a history of turning it around, and all he's done is what we all would have.

Christ, I'm agreeing with Moosebreath, I think it's time to shut the computer off and not come back until we win again, this is just wrong.

Your blind faith is admirable it really is. Unfortunately over christmas and new year those 23 games reduce significantly and with our form and the teams we're playing, by the time Easter comes, I very much fear that our exit from the prem will be all but confirmed.

Hope you're right and i'm wrong bit I cant see it.

I don't see this as blind faith. I have mentioned our shortcomings this seasons before (such as clearances, composure, inability to defend a lead) and the decisions that unfortunately went against us (own goals, red cards) which have piled up to the mess we're currently finding ourselves in.

What I lack is the bleak outlook of some on here. I'm sure we all share the same dreams and hopes and compassion, only that consternation sets in earlier with some than with others.

Over the past few years, we've all witnessed some pretty heavy sh*t surrounding this club: Administration, financial turmoil, relegations, playoff heartaches... I thought fans would have taken the lessons from back then to heart and would be a lot more patient this time around and appreciate every single match back in the Premier League.

It's an honour to be back in arguably the best league of the world and this team has really tried living up to the promise of last season. We don't lack a lot - all I'm saying that it can be rectified with a couple of astute signings and without having the manager getting the sack.

It isn't over until it's over.

For me, a decision has to be made. And no, it's not whether NP stays or goes, he should stay, no-brainer.

Nigel needs to decide on our playing style and commit fully to it.

A) Attacking - Persevere with what worked last year, same players, keep the ball on the floor, attack in  numbers

B) 'Percentages' -  tougher more physical team, longer ball, less build up, quality crosses into Ulloa. The style we are trying to introduce but he needs to commit to it by playing adequate players for this style 

We currently have a watered down version of both styles of play which is not working. NP - decide on what you want to do and commit fully to that style!

I don’t claim to know more about tactics and formations than a Premiership manager. But I do know that not many other teams play the way that we have chosen to play. Even Liverpool only played with one up front and packed the midfield the other night. Is Brendan Rogers wrong then? The result: 3 goals from midfielders. 442 has been largely discredited as a top-level formation. Do any other Prem teams regularly play it? Maybe Burnley. Only England play it at international level – which says it all really.

It’s just common sense that doesn’t apply to just football.  If the majority of the ‘action’ takes place in the middle of the pitch then where should we deploy most of our players? Up front? Vardy's high-pressing game is great against Doncaster and Brighton. Top defenders though will just pass it round you.

Do you play chess? Same principle: Occupy and control the middle of the board and you will control the game.

Military strategy? Occupy the middle of the battlefield as this ensures that you have good lines of communications to the flanks and to the rear.

Worth pointing out Atletico Madrid played it last year and won La Liga. I agree it's time for 4-3-3 though.

I can not stand 80% of the morons on here. The majority of you are absolute ****** who don't understand the first thing about football. You actually ruin my day a lot of the time i am not posting or reading this forum again. Wilson out! 

For the record im Pearson in.

I can not stand 80% of the morons on here. The majority of you are absolute ****** who don't understand the first thing about football. You actually ruin my day a lot of the time i am not posting or reading this forum again. Wilson out! 

can someone please create a "handbag" emoticon??....................... or a sanitary towel one.  This guy is clearly on his period.

Worth pointing out Atletico Madrid played it last year and won La Liga. I agree it's time for 4-3-3 though.

Did they? OK I didn’t know that. I guess that there’s a case for playing it if you’re up against teams who are going to ‘park the bus’. I can see it might be useful in giving a team more attacking options to open up the opposition.

57 minutes later...

To be fair i like RDL but i thought Simpson looked really good. and will get better with more games. 

:D

The more I see people argue that we've been waiting ten years and deserve better, the more I think we don't deserve to be back here at all if we're going to bin off a man who revitalised the club at the first sign of trouble. Clearly, he stays and he's backed in the january window - it was always going to be a difficult season, we were going to have spells in the relegation zone, but we've not really been outclassed yet, we're losing by fine margins, by lapses in concentration from set-pieces and individual mistakes. If we were getting spanked every week and showed no bright sides, then I'd be more sympathetic to the Nigel out argument, but as it is we're competitive but shooting ourselves in the foot with school-boy errors.

Now... I'm not sure what side this sways the argument but, this was Southampton's start up to now the season they were promoted.. I know they had a lot more about their squad but here it is...

xqm2v7.jpg

Saints stuck to Adkins until January (ironically when they started picking up wins!)

They ended up 14th, only one place above where they were when he left.

So... Southampton went unbeaten from Boxing Day to 20th January. Patience is difficult, especially when we are playing this badly and losing to teams around us who we thought were "Luckily worse than us", but perhaps there really is a run around the corner and that a busy Christmas period is exactly what we need to put some sort of run together.

I really don't know, i'm firmly on the fence but I thought the Saints example was a good one!

Now... I'm not sure what side this sways the argument but, this was Southampton's start up to now the season they were promoted.. I know they had a lot more about their squad but here it is...

xqm2v7.jpg

Saints stuck to Adkins until January (ironically when they started picking up wins!)

They ended up 14th, only one place above where they were when he left.

So... Southampton went unbeaten from Boxing Day to 20th January. Patience is difficult, especially when we are playing this badly and losing to teams around us who we thought were "Luckily worse than us", but perhaps there really is a run around the corner and that a busy Christmas period is exactly what we need to put some sort of run together.

I really don't know, i'm firmly on the fence but I thought the Saints example was a good one!

Very interesting. Makes me feel much better.

I am very much undecided on our managers future, and whether I want him to stay or not. I do believe he looks out of his depth in this league,but I cant think of anybody we could attract that would be a lot better. However, people are saying "it's not Pearson's fault, it's individual errors" but it is NP who continues to select the players that are making the errors. The defence does look a bit suspect, but they need protection from a holding midfielder. This is also Pearson's decision not to play one. We defend too high to compensate for it, which when defending leaves us far too open to counter attacks, and when attacking does not give us enough space. All our recent games seen to be far too congested when we have the ball. As crazy as it sounds, we need to start coaching players to play a particular system, not picking a system to suit the players he wants to select.

I can see the point with the Southampton example but their December was much easier than ours, gaining momentum over this period is important!

Because I feel he is not up to the task it doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he did for us last year, he just doesn't seem to be able to cut it at this level, it's alright people saying "maybe he can turn it around", so far he's made a hash of the season and so I can't find any evidence of him changing our fortunes

It’s just common sense that doesn’t apply to just football. If the majority of the ‘action’ takes place in the middle of the pitch then where should we deploy most of our players? Up front? Vardy's high-pressing game is great against Doncaster and Brighton. Top defenders though will just pass it round you.

We played four centre mids and it was dreadful. We're looking much more like picking up points playing 442. England played a diamond at the world cup and stunk the place out. Just packing the midfield for the sake of it doesn't work at this level either. You won't pick up any points if you can't score goals and remain susceptible to conceding.

I can see a good argument for playing 451 with a striker dropping back, which is actually how we played for much of last season in reality, and I think we've been trying it with Ulloa dropping back. But I'm not sure he's the right man for that job. For all the stick he gets, Nugent is the best player we've got in that position by a mile.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what tactics you play or how brilliant your manager is if your players aren't up to it, which ours currently aren't. The solution is to bring in better players. We've got owners who have said they will spend money, and a managerial team who have proven on numerous occasions their ability to make good buys. We just have to wait until January and I'm pretty confident that Pearson will make some good signings that will make all the difference.

We played four centre mids and it was dreadful. We're looking much more like picking up points playing 442. England played a diamond at the world cup and stunk the place out. Just packing the midfield for the sake of it doesn't work at this level either. You won't pick up any points if you can't score goals and remain susceptible to conceding.

I can see a good argument for playing 451 with a striker dropping back, which is actually how we played for much of last season in reality, and I think we've been trying it with Ulloa dropping back. But I'm not sure he's the right man for that job. For all the stick he gets, Nugent is the best player we've got in that position by a mile.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what tactics you play or how brilliant your manager is if your players aren't up to it, which ours currently aren't. The solution is to bring in better players. We've got owners who have said they will spend money, and a managerial team who have proven on numerous occasions their ability to make good buys. We just have to wait until January and I'm pretty confident that Pearson will make some good signings that will make all the difference.

I'm not really sure the January window is going to be the silver bullet that everyone's hoping for. We couldn't sign several targets in the summer when we had plenty if time, were a more attractive side and didn't have the distraction of matches.

Now we're bottom, player's prices and wages will be higher and we've got a busy fixture schedule to contend with.

We need a centre back and a striker at least, preferably a winger and a wingback too. We lose Schlupp and Marhez too.

I can see us missing out again, like in the summer.

I can see why people are questioning NP to be fair but some of the abuse has been a disgrace considering what the guy has done for this club. For me his record here determines that he should stay despite the shite we've been subjected to recently.

Did he recruit well? Not really. Did he overestimate his players' ability? Maybe. Did he underestimate the league? Possibly. Are we going to go down? Probably.

Despite these I still think he's the best man for the job. If you judge him on his whole LCFC career and not the last 10 games then no-one can argue that he hasn't been a huge success. He is a bright and shrewd guy and will learn from this experience - he shouldn't be fired at the first sign of trouble imho. I can see us (if we do go down) bouncing straight back up and being much more competitive on our return. Sometimes you have to take a long-term view and I truly believe sticking with NP is definitely in our best interests.

Don't get me wrong, I'm spitting about recent results and performances but as Moosey said NP has a track record of turning round crap situations & can do it again. I haven't given up all hope that it'll still happen this season but either way he's the man for the job as far as I'm concerned.

Archived