Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

That has to be it. Pearson needs to go.

Although I'm not in the 'Pearson out' brigade, I'm not liking his arrogance in post-match interviews.

The players simply aren't doing even the basics, triangles in the centre, decent crosses, marking at set pieces.

Only Cambiasso has played to any decent standard consistently this season. James and Srinkwater haven't shown, Mahrez has badly faded, the defence has switched off far too often after we've taken the lead.

The Crystal Palace game was the vital one for me, straight after the Man Utd game we needed to show we could get up for the so called 'lesser' games in this league, we didn't and we ended up getting punished, by two set pieces I might add.

Certain things are apparent, the zonal marking is ridiculous and no team that I can remember has ever benefitted from it, attackers are too savvy in this division to gamble on a quality delivery in between two defenders to score, its asking for trouble and that's down to the manager/coaching side.

Once you get into a rut in this division, as we have, confidence plays a key factor, the players may say its not affecting them but body language states otherwise, to make up for the gap in quality you must work your balls off, too many of the players of late have failed to do this, not winning enough tackles, standing off, showing zero bravery going forward or desire to keep clean sheets, if you have a goalkeeper as erratic as Schmeichel your defence should be extra alert, no doubt.

Theres only one of two options for me, hand Pearson the funds in January and inject some class into the side (a costly measure possibly) or turn to another option not yet mentioned, I hardly think Neil Lennon or Tony Pulis are the right call but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I disagree.

Changing managers every time it gets tough is a recipe for disaster.

We, more than most, should know this.

Look back no further than 2007/08 of course re managerial changes, Allen-Megson-Holloway = League One!!

I want Pearson to stay, but it's highly likely the pressure to get rid will grow and he'll get the P45 so many people want...

..when we get some joker installed who is getting back on the 'Manager merry-go-round' after failing somewhere else and we still get relegated, will people then start to think, Oh yes, we've been down this route before AND IT DIDN'T BLOODY WORK then either!

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

meanwhile NP goes to another club with his staff and makes a decent fist of it . The sign of madness is repeating the same behaviour over and over again expecting a different result Pulis? Lennon ? FFS

Relegated to league one, in the doldrums, Pearson comes in and TURNS IT AROUND.

Squad destroyed by Sousa and Sven, full of mercenaries, desperately needing costs cutting, Pearson comes in and TURNS IT AROUND.

Bad run of form, nearly costs us a play off place, players short on confidence, Nigel Pearson TURNS IT AROUND.

Premier league, barely spent a penny, lose against Liverpool and away at Villa, Leicester fans: fvckin sack him he'll never turn it around.

"Keep the faith" they said. Have a look at yourselves.

That Alan Pardew should be sacked, shocking manager he is. Someone should start a sack Pardew website. Allardyce too while you're at it, terrible manager he is.

Although I know what it is you're trying to say but comparing those two to our situation is wrong in my opinion, they had squads that had premier league quality players who had the ability and experience to compete at this level we don't have the quality of player that either Newcastle and West Ham had/have and so turning around out situation becomes much harder, add to that Pearson lacks Premier League experience in comparison to Big Sam and Pardew and it's hard to see how we can turn this around

Squad destroyed by Sousa and Sven, full of mercenaries, desperately needing costs cutting, Pearson comes in and TURNS IT AROUND.

Bad run of form, nearly costs us a play off place, players short on confidence, Nigel Pearson TURNS IT AROUND.

Premier league, barely spent a penny, lose against Liverpool and away at Villa, Leicester fans: fvckin sack him he'll never turn it around.

You're exactly right. We've only lost two games.

Thats exactly why people want him out. Just 2 games. No more than that. Just 2 games.

Depends who the replacement is. Won't be Pulis, we're in a such a rut I think he'll see his record is real jeopardy. We've got possibly the best Championship manager (or at least top three) so anyone lower wouldn't be an improvement.

Do the owners go foreign and gamble? Big name or burgeoning reputation?

Sadly, I can't see us improving sufficiently under Pearson. I think we're too far gone for that. I won't be calling for his head at the ground or drumming up a campaign to get him out, but I could understand a change now. The replacement is critical though.

THIS

Depends who the replacement is. Won't be Pulis, we're in a such a rut I think he'll see his record is real jeopardy. We've got possibly the best Championship manager (or at least top three) so anyone lower wouldn't be an improvement.

Do the owners go foreign and gamble? Big name or burgeoning reputation?

Sadly, I can't see us improving sufficiently under Pearson. I think we're too far gone for that. I won't be calling for his head at the ground or drumming up a campaign to get him out, but I could understand a change now. The replacement is critical though.

Great post Corky, exactly how I feel re the last paragraph

Clearly some who want to see the end of Pearson are somewhat idiotic and have probably been calling for his head since we lost to Palace, but it's the manner of the defeats and the quality of the opposition that bothers me. Just look at Palace for example, their squad is at least on a par with us, if not worse, and their manager is a recycled failure at this level - yet they're picking up points fairly consistantly and will more than likely stay up. I don't think anybody with a brain cell thought this league would be a walk in the park, but I also don't think many thought we'd drop so many points against some distinctly average sides; Palace, Sunderland, West Brom, Burnley, Newcastle/Swansea (on their form at the time of the games), Villa, QPR.

As has been said above, the fact that Burnley and QPR look a damn sight better than us at the moment says it all for me. Burnley, granted, were as close as anybody could manage to get to us, but I don't think anybody would say we weren't miles ahead of them still, and QPR even more so - and yet look at the difference now. Why?

Although we walked the league last season, and confidence was high, we really needed to strengthen a lot more than we did in terms of quality. The nucleus of an average Premier League side was there, but instead we bought in a similar quality of player to what we already have (perhaps Cambiasso aside), with seemingly no idea as to how we would accomdate them into our side. Cardiff did the same last season, and look where they are now.

I have the utmost respect for what Pearson has done for this club, we could have fallen into the abys of football like Cov after our relegation to League 1, we could have have collapsed into mid-table obscurity after the Watford defeat, but we didn't. We fought back, and that is very much down to Pearson. But I think this may be one step too far for him, sentimentality has long gone in football and the past accounts for little in the modern day. Money, however, is huge and regardless of what Pearson achieved last season, there's no guarentee that if/when we go down we won't follow in the footsteps of Norwich, Fulham, Cardiff, Wigan, Reading etc, and the owners may feel that way also.

It all went tits up after Man Utd.... when Knockaert was dropped over his gaff to the french press. We had a good formation 4 4 2 with Knockaert and Mahrez on the wings...

Pearson for reasons only known to him hasn't put Knockaert back in the team... and the balance has gone, he's unable to recover, almost to the point where he deosn't know what he's doing?

Bring back Knockaert, on the wing with Mahrez and the 4 4 2 again... he may just be able to salvage something...

Ermmm Knockaert never played against Man Utd neither did Mahrez

You're exactly right. We've only lost two games.

Thats exactly why people want him out. Just 2 games. No more than that. Just 2 games.

But he is right though, Pearson has the record for turning things around. My concern is that he won't get enough time to do that and we'll be relegated before he can sort the problem.

My other concern is that the problems are usually solved by transfer windows and not tactical changes.  Pearson himself said that recruitment is key, under his reign I don't think that could be any more evident. Sadly for whatever reason we were frustrated in the transfer market this summer... will the January window prove any more useful and will it leave us enough time?

We all know Pearson is no tactical genius, but his team building in terms of spirit, application and recruitment have often been second to none. If we manage to pull off a couple of transfer in January it could change everything. If we get frustrated again then it could solve nothing.

What Pearson has done in the past has no relevance now.

The question is whether he’s succeeding as a Premier League manager. I don’t think anyone could say that at the moment that he is.

He is currently playing the same formation over and over and expecting different results: Einstein 1 Pearson 0.

Pearson is a stubborn bvgger who seems desperate to prove himself right and everyone else wrong.

But, I think he just needs to accept that sometimes other people know what they’re talking about, and accept the advice that is being broadly doled out to him by all the pundits who comment on our games.

Most notably Didi Hamman, a guy who played 59 times for Germany as a CM and is telling us that we need an extra body in the midfield.

I haven’t heard any pundits telling us that Pearson’s tactics are spot on and that he just needs to keep plugging away with it. Have you?

I want Pearson to stay, but he needs to stop being so obdurate about this.

NP stated at the start of the season that the players that had achieved promotion had the right to prove themselves in the Premier League. That attitude generates loyalty from the squad, and I applauded it. Unfortunately it is now apparent that many of them have not made the improvements necessary, with the result that we are getting outclassed, even by the 'poor' teams, week in, week out. There's can't be much confidence around so that won't help the players achieve their potential.

The problems seem to be too widespread for a quick fix. Changing the manager may have an effect, but it won't improve the quality of the existing squad. That could be done by careful acquisition of quality players but January has been the time when average players are obtained for large sums by desperate managers. If we can get the right players for the right price then fine, but I wouldn't want to see the coffers emptied for rubbish and us having to deal with the legacy for years.

He is currently playing the same formation over and over and expecting different results: Einstein 1 Pearson 0.

Yes he currently us, but before that he was changing formation all the time and it still have little effect.

Hamman... the man who won 3 in 19 for Stockport County.

Yes he currently us, but before that he was changing formation all the time and it still have little effect.

Hamman... the man who won 3 in 19 for Stockport County.

It's always black and white with you!

Changing formations all the time doesn't work

Playing 442 doesn't work

These aren't the only two options available to us.

Hamman: I'm saying that he knows midfield, not that he's a good manager.

Disagree, what happened in the past is a pointer to what could happen in the future. as highlighted in my post about signings above.

Pearson's past indicates that he's a good manager at the level at which he has previously operated. Nothing more.

Pearson's past indicates that he's a good manager at the level at which he has previously operated. Nothing more.

Again, disagree. His past shows he needs good recruitment so solve problems and has to change players to fix problems.

There are lots of pointers out there from his past that can still be relevant in a different league. To completely ignore patterns from the past is as foolish as thinking they will definitely happen in all leagues.

Two things -

1) Pearson was manager when we went in our terrible run two seasons ago and he didn't really 'turn it around'. We hobbled into the play offs

2) recruitment last summer not good enough. However, what if that wasn't NP's fault? We are all assuming he didn't sign enough good players etc. perhaps he was let down? If that were the case, I doubt the board will sack him.

Two things -

1) Pearson was manager when we went in our terrible run two seasons ago and he didn't really 'turn it around'. We hobbled into the play offs

2) recruitment last summer not good enough. However, what if that wasn't NP's fault? We are all assuming he didn't sign enough good players etc. perhaps he was let down? If that were the case, I doubt the board will sack him.

Compared to the dross and the heartache in between 2004 and 2010, he did indeed "turn it around". Two playoff appearances and one Championship champions medal speak for themselves.

The signing dilemma might also be brought onto us due to financial constraints. Not that the owners don't have the money, but to me it appears they're going the "cheap" route by holding out until January, then reinforcements will be acquired (and a bit of the current squad loaned out, I guess).

Archived