Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Fynwy

Clarke Carlisle

Completely agree with that. Basically worded some of my thoughts better than I can word them. It's sad actually.

Yep, I think Ronnie has hit the nail on the head.

The problem with Twitter is people can do it anonymously as well, you can't even find out who these people are who can im effect send you direct abuse.

That was fantastic. I actually think they must sit there searching "bloody cyclists" as that's literally all I put, somehow it meant I was justifying the death of cyclists.

This may or may not have lead to a few more cyclist related tweets.

It's prevelent in society not just on political/social issues but in all areas, music, fashion for example, that's why culture in general is so bland thesedays, kids seem scared of looking different, afraid to listen to bands that their mates might not like it all lends itself to conformity.

Yep, I think Ronnie has hit the nail on the head.

The problem with Twitter is people can do it anonymously as well, you can't even find out who these people are who can im effect send you direct abuse.

I'm not buying it. Those who are might be more visible because of the internet, but it's a ridiculous generalisation to say that 'kids' are like that. I don't think that it's any more prevalent than it has been in the past and things like gender non-conformity are clearly up (as Matt's post about his twitter abuse demonstrates), we don't all sit in our rooms listening to whatever music is particularly popular right now so that everyone else thinks we're cool (partly because the internet has given us much wider variety). Of course it exists but is there actually any evidence that it's more prevalent than it was at any other point in recent history?

Matt can complain that twenty transsexuals have abused him on Twitter, but I think we'd get just as good an example of conformity if we went back to the 1960s, someone walked into a crowded pub and announced that they were transgender. Having to obey social norms is not new to the modern day and if anything it's a lot less important to be seen to be doing so now. Because nowadays you might just get a bit of abuse on twitter, boo ****ing hoo.

For all the talk about 'political correctness' people are way more abusive these days and they scream free speech if you take an exception. I generally try and avoid comments sections on the web.

How do you explain being on this forum then?? lol

It's prevelent in society not just on political/social issues but in all areas, music, fashion for example, that's why culture in general is so bland thesedays, kids seem scared of looking different, afraid to listen to bands that their mates might not like it all lends itself to conformity.

There's no question the internet has had a major role in this. Herd mentailty has always existed of course but now theres a worldwide platform to deride those who don't fall into line.

It becomes even more irritating when most comments on such important issues are given without any critical analysis or research.

On the other hand, the abuse could be an example of the exact opposite. You don't get noticed if you have relatively sensible opinions and put them across in a respectful manner. Whether it's twitter comments or tuition fee riots, we love to hear about how many rape threats someone received or that a marginally famous person's son was caught vandalising the cenotaph. We don't take notice of a reasoned argument or a peaceful majority in a protest.

My next door neighbour committed suicide last year( pills,booze and a river) was in his 50s and married.used to talk to him loads and never realised what a dark,dark place he was in.some of the stories his wife has since told about how he felt are tragic,and nothing was going to stop him.However, such a horrible thing to happen he did it in the middle of nowhere and left a note telling his wife where he could be found.

Over xmas a friend of me and the wife(we all worked together )said another work colleague had a heart attack at 50 and died.Fit as a fiddle,ate well etc.Found out he hung himself in the woods ,and as a complete coincidence another ex work colleagues young daughter found him.Now,yet again a very dark place to do that and hopefully something I won't understand first hand,but it affected a young girl walking her dog.Is it my lack of understanding that thinks this case is worse because of someone else being traumatised for life by this ,I expect you are in such a state you don't even think of such things,I do keep thinking if he had any regrets when doing it and it being too late.Doesnt bare thinking about.

RIP David and Mike

My next door neighbour committed suicide last year( pills,booze and a river) was in his 50s and married.used to talk to him loads and never realised what a dark,dark place he was in.some of the stories his wife has since told about how he felt are tragic,and nothing was going to stop him.However, such a horrible thing to happen he did it in the middle of nowhere and left a note telling his wife where he could be found.

Over xmas a friend of me and the wife(we all worked together )said another work colleague had a heart attack at 50 and died.Fit as a fiddle,ate well etc.Found out he hung himself in the woods ,and as a complete coincidence another ex work colleagues young daughter found him.Now,yet again a very dark place to do that and hopefully something I won't understand first hand,but it affected a young girl walking her dog.Is it my lack of understanding that thinks this case is worse because of someone else being traumatised for life by this ,I expect you are in such a state you don't even think of such things,I do keep thinking if he had any regrets when doing it and it being too late.Doesnt bare thinking about.

RIP David and Mike

Terribly sad for everyone mate , it's a serious epidemic over last 10 years

Pretty calm on here isn't it. It doesn't get any more heated than a MarkW meltdown when someone criticises Pearson.[/quote

Dont mind me, only messing. You are right, the amount of inoffensive youtube videos that have comments sections flooded with religious debate.

Trouble is that he's the only ex-footballer with anything close to the national average IQ. He was never a very good footballer, he's just got a good brain on him. The media/his role in the PFA were not for him, he misses being a footballer and he's not arsed about trying to be clever for tele. He should have gone into coaching, you feel he could make a very good technical coach. I hope he reassesses when he's over this awfulness.

As a poster said above, he needs to bac down from the spotlight. He needs to reassess his life with the help of his family and friends.

Suicide is a deplorable act and I really feel for those that thinks it's the best way out. Clarke needs to surround himself with those that mean the most to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not buying it. Those who are might be more visible because of the internet, but it's a ridiculous generalisation to say that 'kids' are like that. I don't think that it's any more prevalent than it has been in the past and things like gender non-conformity are clearly up (as Matt's post about his twitter abuse demonstrates), we don't all sit in our rooms listening to whatever music is particularly popular right now so that everyone else thinks we're cool (partly because the internet has given us much wider variety). Of course it exists but is there actually any evidence that it's more prevalent than it was at any other point in recent history?

Matt can complain that twenty transsexuals have abused him on Twitter, but I think we'd get just as good an example of conformity if we went back to the 1960s, someone walked into a crowded pub and announced that they were transgender. Having to obey social norms is not new to the modern day and if anything it's a lot less important to be seen to be doing so now. Because nowadays you might just get a bit of abuse on twitter, boo ****ing hoo.

Yes it is, where are the rebels?  Where's the cultural movements?  Since the 50's there has been shifts created by the youth, 50's had Rock & Roll, 60's The Beatles etc, The 70's Punk, 80's Rave music, the 90's Grunge/Brit pop because that what was needed, now kids don't seem to want to change anything.  The major record labels have taken over more now than I can remember, the music scene is completely corporate and music reflects that.

Yes it is, where are the rebels?  Where's the cultural movements?  Since the 50's there has been shifts created by the youth, 50's had Rock & Roll, 60's The Beatles etc, The 70's Punk, 80's Rave music, the 90's Grunge/Brit pop because that what was needed, now kids don't seem to want to change anything.  The major record labels have taken over more now than I can remember, the music scene is completely corporate and music reflects that.

And they employ a group of people to write songs for some manufactured artist so they can sing about some rubbish like washing up liquid. The likes of Bob Dylan have gone.

And they employ a group of people to write songs for some manufactured artist so they can sing about some rubbish like washing up liquid. The likes of Bob Dylan have gone.

It is amusing that Ed Sheeran covers songs like Masters of war but then writes complete wishy washy tripe, maybe the kids just aren't angry thesedays.

I don't know much about the music industry at any point in time, I'm not a particularly musical person. But I do think you're making massive generalizations.

I'm sure there were people in the 60's complaining about conformists listening to The Beatles, these aren't examples of non-conformity, they're examples of popular music genres, which are akin to, although in my view almost all much better than, Hip Hop/Urban/however you'd classify the current popular genres of music (I don't know I've never listened to much of it despite being a 'kid'). I don't see how the music industry becoming more corporate gives any genuine  indication of what exactly 'kids' listen to, I am 19, my favourite bands are the Pixies and R.E.M., Fox92 is 22(?) and listens to the Beatles/John Lennon and I'm sure plenty of other music that isn't the corporate rubbish you clearly have a problem with. I don't think we're in the minority either precisely because the internet allows us to find basically whatever kind of music we want. Most of the bands we've listed are mainstream popular bands in their era anyway, but I doubt you think liking them makes me conformist.

I imagine there are also 'kids' producing exactly the type of music you're calling for, and that many 'kids' want to listen to. If you think that the music industry has become too corporate then maybe there isn't the platform for them to receive mainstream attention, that wouldn't mean that those kinds of young people don't exist. We're no more mindless conformists than any generation, some listened to the Beatles or Nirvana or whatever because they connected with it, some because it was cool to listen to it, for all kinds of different reasons, but what we do know is a ton of people listened to it and also that plenty disliked it. Which is exactly the same as the situation now, just with mainstream music that I'll concede isn't as good. Are those generations just as conformist?

Anyway I need to stop procrastinating.

• 1 month later...

Archived