Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Fynwy

Clarke Carlisle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32050323

The article above basically outlines how he feels no shame over his attempted suicide. Whereas on one hand it can be good to feel no shame that he was in a bad place and is able to talk about it, I'm still yet to see any apology or anything regarding the guy who he jumped out in front of. Mirroring what HathernFox says above, it's always been 'me me me' with no feelings that his actions have repercussions. I wouldn't be surprised if he did something else again in the not too distant future.

The article above basically outlines how he feels no shame over his attempted suicide. Whereas on one hand it can be good to feel no shame that he was in a bad place and is able to talk about it, I'm still yet to see any apology or anything regarding the guy who he jumped out in front of. Mirroring what HathernFox says above, it's always been 'me me me' with no feelings that his actions have repercussions. I wouldn't be surprised if he did something else again in the not too distant future.

I'm sure the lorry driver will be ok, he's already been out with his story about never being able to drive again. So I'm sure he'll be on the sick for the rest of his life now sponging. Yes I'm a cynical person.

I'm sure the lorry driver will be ok, he's already been out with his story about never being able to drive again. So I'm sure he'll be on the sick for the rest of his life now sponging. Yes I'm a cynical person.

Haha, to be honest, I hadn't seen that story. I'm sure he's pretty traumatised, but at the same time, I'm sure there's a some truth in your cynicism there. Either way, Carlisle still seems a bit of a ****.

Guest MattP

From what his friends have said about him since all these problems surfaced he doesn't seem to actually care about or take responsibility for anything he does whatsoever.

The hard truth is that the guy has got an attention problem.

He's always hunted the spot light and taken on the hard hitting topics. Joey Barton type that is on the mental health scale.

From what his friends have said about him since all these problems surfaced he doesn't seem to actually care about or take responsibility for anything he does whatsoever.

Seems to be the general noise coming out from people around him doesn't it. We've all been through hard times in our lives, and some of us have even suffered with depression, but he just seems to be milking the whole thing as if he's saying "You can't tell me off, or I can't claim responsibility because I've been ill". Whereas it's good that awareness is being raised, it doesn't need someone like him as a front man. Or am I being a bit harsh there?

Guest MattP

Seems to be the general noise coming out from people around him doesn't it. We've all been through hard times in our lives, and some of us have even suffered with depression, but he just seems to be milking the whole thing as if he's saying "You can't tell me off, or I can't claim responsibility because I've been ill". Whereas it's good that awareness is being raised, it doesn't need someone like him as a front man. Or am I being a bit harsh there?

'I've got a mental illness' is becoming the the new 'I'm disabled/got a bad back etc'.

I heard some bloke use it last night as a excuse for a load of wrongdoing over something.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/clarke-carlisle-suicide-bid-ex-footballer-5112046

'I've got a mental illness' is becoming the the new 'I'm disabled/got a bad back etc'.

I heard some bloke use it last night as a excuse for a load of wrongdoing over something.

Yep, it's the new sicknote for a lot of people. They feel a bit low for one day, then go to the doctors and embellish it to get time off. There's not a lot the doctors can to about it either.

I've said this before and I'm glad other people see it too.

Sad really as it devalues the genuine cases.

I've said this before and I'm glad other people see it too.

Sad really as it devalues the genuine cases.

this here i see as "i wanted to drive drunk."

i refuse to believe half of his story. as someone who has been through it and come out the other side scarred from it, you don't start shouting from the hilltops about it. you really don't. 

this here i see as "i wanted to drive drunk."

i refuse to believe half of his story. as someone who has been through it and come out the other side scarred from it, you don't start shouting from the hilltops about it. you really don't. 

yeah i was gonna say if coronation street and stevie macdonald have taught me anything it's that even if you're severely depressed and diagnosed as such it's a whole new level telling anyone at all about it, let alone constantly dropping reminders in interviews in the national and international press. 

Just watching the news, some bloke who lost his job due to sexting (I'm guessing he was an MP I was only half listening)... "I've been suffering with depression".

Guest MattP

Just watching the news, some bloke who lost his job due to sexting (I'm guessing he was an MP I was only half listening)... "I've been suffering with depression".

Definitely the new big thing - I can see it becoming as big as Green issues and Health and Safety.

Get everyone reliant on popping pills from the state, they do the thinking so you don't have too. Will make a fortune.

Treading a fine line though really.

Mental illness is a genuine problem and is life and/or livelihood threatening in a lot of situations and we do need to take it seriously.

That said, people just need to be less pussy about it. Both the ill and everyone else. Don't use it as an excuse and don't accept it as an excuse.

It's a reason for some people's irregular behaviour, definitely, but that doesn't mean they should be pardoned of all wrong doing. You can be mentally ill and still an arsehole. You can be mentally ill and still be a self serving, self obsessed **** like Clark Carlisle. Equally you can be mentally ill and an absolute mute martyr who could do with the help but is too proud or afraid to speak up.

That's exactly the problem, the latter need mental illness to be destigmatised but not to become a fashion statement or a badge of honour for the workshy and counter culture little ****s who think they're being edgy and cool by claiming to be ocd, adhd, bipolar or whatever else.

• 2 years later...

As much as I feel sad for him, he's not doing the right thing in not responding to family calls etc.

It won't help his issues if he goes missing for much longer.

He must do the right thing in telling close family where he is, why he has and admit that he's in the wrong and that he should report back to mental health services he's been attending to address his personal situation.

I'm not being disrespectful, here, in any way - but he's obviously not helping himself now, but it also doesn't help others who feel vulnerable as he is and not sure how to respond/do next.

when people are feeling suicidal they don't think rationally. they don't think how it will affect their family and friends until after they have attempted suicide and have to deal with the fall out after the event if they have survived the ordeal. Yes he's doing the wrong thing by not responding to family or friends but in his mind he doesn't want to upset anyone by telling them how he feels and thinks they will be disappointed in him for feeling the way he does! i really hope they find him and get him the help he needs!

Same again in 2019?

I feel massively for people who suffer and have suffered depression, however it's hard to worry about someone who hasn't been seen for less than 24hours. He must see how he affected his family first time around, putting them through it again isn't fair! 

Is it possible he actually just went on a bender? Seen in Manchester at 6am and turns up in Liverpool. 

Archived