Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Fynwy

Clarke Carlisle

He's been quick to sell his story and hide behind excuses to justify what he did.

I thought if you were depressed you wanted to be alone and away from the world, not on the front page of a national tabloid?

Then again, he could always go and have a drink, drive his car and ruin some innocent people's lives.

Not condoning what he has done in the slightest, it is unacceptable. But, and yes there are better ways to do it than selling out to a red top newspaper, what is the problem with him finally owning up? Darren Eadie and Stan Collymoore are fine examples of people telling their stories to the press and using that as a form of therapy almost. His past actions are somewhat unforgiveable, but he's finally accepting help and trying to move on.

Depression is a complex disease. Being depressed and having depression are two different things.

Not condoning what he has done in the slightest, it is unacceptable. But, and yes there are better ways to do it than selling out to a red top newspaper, what is the problem with him finally owning up? Darren Eadie and Stan Collymoore are fine examples of people telling their stories to the press and using that as a form of therapy almost. His past actions are somewhat unforgiveable, but he's finally accepting help and trying to move on.

Depression is a complex disease. Being depressed and having depression are two different things.

You can spin it various ways depending on your stance, I don't disagree.

I'm just bias because of the drink driving I guess.

Edit: more so the "refusal to provide" and lack of personal responsibility he must have shown. People get convicted and change and realise what they did was wrong etc. but refusing to provide, maybe because they think what they did isn't wrong, and not taking responsibility for their actions, 'grinds my gears'.

Depression is a horrible thing to go through as I've seen the effect it can have to a loved one. It's also great that awareness has been increased over the past few years.

But I can't help fear its getting to the stage where some people may be tempted to use the 'depression card' in a similar to the race card which will undermine the vast majority of those who suffer from depression and its effects in the long run.

I don't really agree with Ralf Little and think the timing is poor. It sounds like something a jealous ex would write.

How is the timing poor? Carlisle was on the front of a national newspaper at the time.

I mean it comes across as a rant designed to get attention and not a well thought out point. 

He had to clarify.

He was another one who being besiged by the Twitterati, the modern day hoardes of moral thought police who take to hounding anyone who dare hold a different opinion from the norm.

He had to clarify.

He was another one who being besiged by the Twitterati, the modern day hoardes of moral thought police who take to hounding anyone who dare hold a different opinion from the norm.

Given what I've seen of Twitter I'm not sure it's as politically correct as you might think.

Given what I've seen of Twitter I'm not sure it's as politically correct as you might think.

Tweet something about Gays, Feminists or Depression and see what happens.

I once tweeted a reply to a militant homosexual I wasn't bothered about whether Nikki Morgan was doing anything for 'potential transgendered children' and I woke up to 150 messages from about 20 transexuals calling me everything from a bigot to a Nazi.

I once tweeted a reply to a militant homosexual I wasn't bothered about whether Nikki Morgan was doing anything for 'potential transgendered children' and I woke up to 150 messages from about 20 transexuals calling me everything from a bigot to a Nazi.

Indeed. And, for your consideration, the flip side:

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/28/7925317/antia-sarkeesian-gamergate

I didn't link directly to the article that contains all the Twitter responses Ms Sarkeesian received in one week, but the link is in that article - see for yourself.

Twitter seems to be equal opportunity in terms of the mobs it contains.

They should really start teaching footballers proper life skills for when they finally retire. I get the feeling that they get it pumped into them when they are younger that football is the be all and end all. Makes me wonder why they don't teach young footballers how to find other ways to work once they finish, or offer them courses to get other qualifications whilst they are playing. I know it's easier said than done, but it seems a lot of footballers just seem to never grow up once they are signed to a top club. They're aren't enough footballing jobs to keep everybody happy.

It's becoming more and more obvious that the financial advice footballers are given is nothing short of terrible. The pressure they seem to be under when they leave football to carry on living outlandish lavish lifestyles is nothing short of ridiculous.

I mean can anybody else remember when Wes' missus was having a meltdown on twitter a few years ago because she claimed £20,000 a week wasn't enough to feed their kids? It's like they live in a different world or something.

I replied to a study about Coldplay fans being less sexually active and more boring than the average man, saying something along the lines of 'I'm not surprised' and woke to 20 odd messages from angry Coldplay fans. There's no escaping the mob culture.

Indeed. And, for your consideration, the flip side:

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/28/7925317/antia-sarkeesian-gamergate

I didn't link directly to the article that contains all the Twitter responses Ms Sarkeesian received in one week, but the link is in that article - see for yourself.

Twitter seems to be equal opportunity in terms of the mobs it contains.

Isn't that pretty much what I said? I didn't actually mention anything about left/right or being PC?

I said it's a place where you'll be hounded for saying what isn't the norm.

I call that being successful at Twitter. The meltdowns are superb. I haven't done anything in a while though.

Isn't that pretty much what I said? I didn't actually mention anything about left/right or being PC?

Ah right, talking past each other again. I figured you were referring only to the kind of people who seem to be constantly offended, rather than the straight-up twattish keyboard warriors (who were largely behind the whole GamerGate thing in the first place) too.

But yes, there are many types of mob on Twitter.

Back on topic, I can't really disagree with most of what Little has said there.

It's prevelent in society not just on political/social issues but in all areas, music, fashion for example, that's why culture in general is so bland thesedays, kids seem scared of looking different, afraid to listen to bands that their mates might not like it all lends itself to conformity.

There's no question the internet has had a major role in this. Herd mentailty has always existed of course but now theres a worldwide platform to deride those who don't fall into line.

It becomes even more irritating when most comments on such important issues are given without any critical analysis or research.

It's prevelent in society not just on political/social issues but in all areas, music, fashion for example, that's why culture in general is so bland thesedays, kids seem scared of looking different, afraid to listen to bands that their mates might not like it all lends itself to conformity.

There's no question the internet has had a major role in this. Herd mentailty has always existed of course but now theres a worldwide platform to deride those who don't fall into line.

It becomes even more irritating when most comments on such important issues are given without any critical analysis or research.

Completely agree with that. Basically worded some of my thoughts better than I can word them. It's sad actually.

Why has a convicted drink driver and clearly someone who is mentally unstable been able to:

a) represent the PFA in an official role

b) meet the PM to discuss things such as homophobia and discrimination

c) obtain high profile pundity roles

d) had opportunities to appear on leading TV quiz shows

The whole situation with Carlisle stinks and whilst I feel sorry for his illness it is time he fell back from any spotlight.

I am appalled that he is/has been someone perceived as being a good example of a working morale compass . It must end now.

Carlisle puts this down to the loss of a punditry role, the ending of a career and financial issues. Sorry Clark but that's life we all have to cope with. If he is serious about getting better he should not have gone to the sun for a story, he should have shown dignity and recovered privately.

Call me harsh but part of me believes he revelles in this....and I wonder what he did with the fee.

Archived