Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

19 hours ago, StanSP said:

Valencia is amazing :D 

Go to Cabanyal and Malvarrosa beaches. 

La Paz does nice food. Everywhere will pretty much do paella as it was invented in Valencia. Must try it. I had Valencian Paelle which is chicken and rabbit.

Went to a place called Taberna Espanola - there's a dish there where they cook the lamb on a sizzling stove next to you so. Smells divine. Plenty of bars/restaurants you can just wonder round in to and enjoy.

Cheers Stan, your the man

8 hours ago, Soup said:

So many but I'll jot down a few of our favourites later on when I.get a few minutes.

22 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Cheers pal, appreciated

I remember @Soup did the same for me back in September when I went so here's his post if it saves you time :D 

On 22/04/2019 at 22:19, Soup said:

Valencia is a fantastic city. I'm here at the moment and genuinely don't want to go home.

El Carmen in the center of the city is the biggest old town in Spain and filled with back streets and plazas. In fact there are different areas within the district and each have a different feel to them. The central food market in Carmen is amazing, the biggest indoor market in Europe apparently with over 1000 stalls. There's a great little bar inside but getting a seat is hard as people queue for ages but sometimes you can get lucky. 

The amount of restaurants and bars is mad, literally everywhere. Personally I prefer the  old tapas joints that have been there for years but tbh you'll be spoilt for choice. All sorts of bars as well. Craft beer is taking off big time if you like that but pretty much everything you can think of from wine, gin cocktail, vermouth bars. You'll never go thirsty anyway.

Outside of Carmen there are some great neighbourhood's/ barrios to explore. Colon, El Cabanyal, Benimeclet and many more and they all have a more local feel to them. Probably the best neighbourhood in the city is Russafa/Ruzafa. A 20 minute walk from Carmen and just behind the train station. Evening's are best with road side bars and restaurants all over the place and the intersections especially good. Carrer Cadis and Sueca are the main streets but the whole area is really cool.

The main beach in the city is called Malvarossa and is stunning. It starts at the Marina and goes on for miles. It has a California feel to it and great just to walk along. Malvarrossa to Patacona takes about 35 minutes and filled with places to eat and  drink. September will be great for a swim as well.

The jewel of Valencia is Turia Gardens. A 7km long park which cuts through the city. It's the old river which was tured in to a park in the 50's due to it flooding all the time. As you walk or cycle through the scenery changes all the time, it's absolutely beautiful. Cycling is the best way of getting round the city,  cycle lanes everywhere and more being added all the time. Loads of cycle  hire places or Boris bikes dotted all over the place. Public transport is great as well with the buses and metro very cheap and very reliable.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit but it's a great place ??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wolfox said:

in Tokyo 

Go the roof top bar at the park Hyatt (featured I lost in translation)

fish marker and the sushi bar next to it

Treat yourself to a ceremonial meal - not cheap but an unforgettable experience 

would love to hear your recommendations on Spain…. San Sebastián is one of my favourite European towns and if there are nicer places to visit I’d love to hear about them…

I'll give you a list! I love Spain and feel like I still haven't seen a lot of it. I haven't even been to Barcelona, Valencia and Zaragoza which I'm aiming to tick off this summer. 

Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of San Sebastian but these are some of my favourite spots that are on par or better that I've been to (some are much smaller and hard to compare). Seville is my favourite city in Europe so that would top it. 

Seville

Cordoba

Granada

Merida

Salamanca 

Caceres

Cadiz

Burgos

Toledo

Jerez

Madrid is okay but not as special as some of the other places I've mentioned.

I'm heading to Girona, Figueres and Cadaques in May. 

Hopefully also doing Barcelona, Zaragoza, Teruel, Cuenca and Valencia in September. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ousefox said:

I'll give you a list! I love Spain and feel like I still haven't seen a lot of it. I haven't even been to Barcelona, Valencia and Zaragoza which I'm aiming to tick off this summer. 

don't go there in the summer! way way too hot!

• Haha 1

@Dr The Singh Here's a few places for food and booze.

For Craft beer try, Tyris on Tap. The Market Craft beer ( both near the central market in El Carmen. Olhops have two gaffs in the Russafa district ( the one on Carrer de Sueca is my fave but better outside seating at the other location a few mins away. 

Very authentic Vermouth bar in El Carmen called Casa Vitoria. Really nice meat and cheese boards as well,.not cheap but worth it. Closed Mon,.Tues Weds.

Best Calamari in town is at Aquarium Bar near the Marker de Colon. Probably my fave bar in the city. Mainly locals but very friendly. Stand at the bar its ace.

Angel Tasca. You pretty much have to stand at the bar as it's so small. A bit of an institution in the old town this one. Great

Go to Patacona beach for sunset. Loads of pop up bars on the sand with different vibes. Taxi or bus 19 or 92 (€1.50 each way). Not far and well worth it. 

Also At Patacona beach is La Mas Bonita. Open for breakfast till midnight. Tables over looking the beach or a really cool courtyard..Really good sandwiches and amazing cakes.

Russafa in the evening is great,.so many cool places. One is Bella de Cadiz, I think I've mentioned on here before but its worth having one on there. Agua de Valencia in there is really nice. 

Apologise if I've gone on again....

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Any recommendations (dare I ask) booked Anne Frank museum, heard there’s a sex museum 😝 

Did see the sex museum but didn't go in. Red light is a must though even just window shopping :D

Found a cracking pub called Cafe Gollem. A beer lovers dream. So much selection and very friendly staff.. Good burgers as well.

The coffee shops are great. Went to.one called Easy Times which was pretty cool and there was one next door but forgot the name. Both very friendly staff and when in Rome ....

Went to a live Jazz bar called Alto Jazz. Absolutely cracking place,.packed out and a real buzz in there. 

Would go back definitely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ousefox said:

Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of San Sebastian but these are some of my favourite spots that are on par or better that I've been to (some are much smaller and hard to compare). Seville is my favourite city in Europe so that would top it. 

Seville

Cordoba

Granada

Merida

Salamanca 

Caceres

Cadiz

Burgos

Toledo

Jerez

Madrid is okay but not as special as some of the other places I've mentioned.

I'm heading to Girona, Figueres and Cadaques in May. 

Hopefully also doing Barcelona, Zaragoza, Teruel, Cuenca and Valencia in September. 

Any good recommendations for Seville, I'm going in April.

2 minutes ago, Soup said:

Did see the sex museum but didn't go in. Red light is a must though even just window shopping :D

Found a cracking pub called Cafe Gollem. A beer lovers dream. So much selection and very friendly staff.. Good burgers as well.

The coffee shops are great. Went to.one called Easy Times which was pretty cool and there was one next door but forgot the name. Both very friendly staff and when in Rome ....

Went to a live Jazz bar called Alto Jazz. Absolutely cracking place,.packed out and a real buzz in there. 

In addition to this, forgot to say we went to a decent coffeeshop called the Greenhouse Effect.

Also, the Icebar is pretty cool. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Soup said:

@Dr The Singh Here's a few places for food and booze.

For Craft beer try, Tyris on Tap. The Market Craft beer ( both near the central market in El Carmen. Olhops have two gaffs in the Russafa district ( the one on Carrer de Sueca is my fave but better outside seating at the other location a few mins away. 

Very authentic Vermouth bar in El Carmen called Casa Vitoria. Really nice meat and cheese boards as well,.not cheap but worth it. Closed Mon,.Tues Weds.

Best Calamari in town is at Aquarium Bar near the Marker de Colon. Probably my fave bar in the city. Mainly locals but very friendly. Stand at the bar its ace.

Angel Tasca. You pretty much have to stand at the bar as it's so small. A bit of an institution in the old town this one. Great

Go to Patacona beach for sunset. Loads of pop up bars on the sand with different vibes. Taxi or bus 19 or 92 (€1.50 each way). Not far and well worth it. 

Also At Patacona beach is La Mas Bonita. Open for breakfast till midnight. Tables over looking the beach or a really cool courtyard..Really good sandwiches and amazing cakes.

Russafa in the evening is great,.so many cool places. One is Bella de Cadiz, I think I've mentioned on here before but its worth having one on there. Agua de Valencia in there is really nice. 

Apologise if I've gone on again....

Soup, that's amazing, thank you.

When your in the Leicester, make sure you check out the Blue Oyster bar.  @StanSP, he is a regular there, and part of the furniture.

13 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Soup, that's amazing, thank you.

When your in the Leicester, make sure you check out the Blue Oyster bar.  @StanSP, he is a regular there, and part of the furniture.

Loads of leather and handle bar moustaches then? Might have to swerve that one lol

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

We went to Sevilla back end of 2018, lovely city, the cathedral is absolutely beautiful, inside and out, the Palace was ok, interesting if you’re into Game of Thrones as parts of the palace were used in the show, and also if you like tiles! The place is full of them 🙁, the park De Maria Luisa is lovely and nice to chill in, just had a look at the bull ring from the outside as my good lady didn’t want to go in.

If you love Tapas you’ll love it here although I found portions were small compared to other parts of Spain I’ve visited, oh and beggars can be a pain when you’re eating out, we found a couple of great restaurants but can’t for the life of me remember their names.

May sound daft as it’s Spain but I really liked the fact that not many people spoke English, and there were not a lot of English tourists.

Hope my post wasn’t too garbled 😆 enjoy your trip 😊

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

In addition to this, forgot to say we went to a decent coffeeshop called the Greenhouse Effect.

Also, the Icebar is pretty cool. 

Did you do the Believe it or not museum? 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Contemplating eating some cake lol but as an old git I’m wondering whether to or not!

Thank you both for the advice 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Saw a Betis game there…. Much bigger following than Seville 

The main cathedral is amazing (Biggest something or other in Europe)…. Tomb of Christopher Columbus can be found there

The Parasol is great to walk round…. Amazing structure

loved this tapas bar (oldest one Seville). - El Rinconcillo

49 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Contemplating eating some cake lol but as an old git I’m wondering whether to or not!

Got back today from my first time in Amsterdam but basically just went in bars and cafes as didn’t really have much time for museums.

The sex museum was about the only one we went in but for 12 euro for something you’re only in for about 20 mins, not really worth it.

First time had weed and cake for decades too. Cake we got really didn’t do much despite the guy who sold it to us giving us a health warning. Guess that’s how touristy we looked!

Loads of really nice bars even in and around the seedier parts. A large beer was about six euros everywhere we went.

Will definitely go again, especially when the weather’s better.

• Like 1

Anyone been Russia recently? The VISA is causing me pain. It asks for historic passport numbers, which I have certainly not kept! 

Also places you have travelled to in the past 10 years. During that time I have been travelling around Europe in an attempt to visit every capital city. Without any social media it’s going to be fun retracing my footsteps on the exact dates!

10 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Nah you're never too old. You should try a little of something while there. Be like going to Naples and not eating pizza :D