Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Japan end of April, recommendations?

Yes - Loads!

Firstly the obvious, Tokyo, I found 4 days to be long enough. 

Kyoto was beautiful, definitely the place to go for seeing the more traditional side of Japan.

Nara was nice too, I just did a day trip to here from Kyoto to visit Todaiji Temple, the sheer size of it was amazing.

Also in Nara there is the deer park, you can buy crackers from locals and feed them to the deer, they always bow their heads before taking the food.

I’d recommend getting a Japan Rail Pass (depending on the length of your trip)

I got a 2 week one and whilst in Tokyo you won’t use it that much but if you use the Shinkansen/Bullet Trains then you’ll soon make a saving. They’re incredibly efficient and you can get to many places outside of the main cities easily enough.

I managed to watch the Sumo wresting in Nagoya, however this was in July so if they have tournaments in April I’d give that a watch.

Forgive me as I can’t remember which place was close to where but the following places where a highlight of mine:

Todaiji as above, Fushimi Inari Shrine (the huge hill with 100’s of the famous red gates), Kinkaku-Ji (golden temple, full of tourists all crowding the place but worth seeing), Arashiama Bamboo grove, Tokyo Sky Tree, Shibuya Crossing, Kyoto Imperial Palace... 🤔 

I’m sure there’s more but that’s what comes to mind without looking back too much.

Happy to provide links and transport advice etc if you need anything else 👍🏼

• Like 1

Japan flight deals. Will only last 3-4 days.

Never a bad day when a Tokyo deal comes around.

KLM/Air France's prices to Japan tends to sit higher most of the year, but when it goes down, like today, it's typically both the cheapest & shortest option to Japan from airports outside of London. Lots of dates available in June and November - early December. Some of the listed departure airports have a few dates scattered in early spring as well :-)

To:

Tokyo (NRT)

Birmingham (BHX) - £387
Southampton (SOU) - £399

Bristol (BRS) - £465
Cardiff (CWL) - £463
Newcastle (NCL) - £417
Norwich (NWI) - £400
Durham (MME) - £424
Aberdeen (ABZ) - £470
Edinburgh (EDI) - £437
Glasgow (GLA) - £417
Travel Dates: Mostly June & November - early December, scattered dates in April - May

Airline: KLM / Air France

Standard Fare: £650

Bags: Checked bag is extra (£60 rtn)

Book by: These fares could go in 3-4 days

Here's how to book:

1. Head to Google Flights and use their handy calendar tool to find the best travel dates for your route, by locating the dates with the lowest fares (those highlighted in green). This flight is not any cheaper on other websites, so we recommend you book direct with the airline. Follow the links from Google Flights to the airline's website and book.

Note: If you want to add luggage while booking, you'll need to click back from the page Google Flights leaves you on and choose the inclusive option when picking flights.

Good to know:

- If you're new here, read our guide to learn how to combine Google Flights and Skyscanner or Momondo to find cheap flights.

- Deals can go at anytime. If you've checked our example links and couldn't find any more dates at the deal price using the instructions above, it's likely to have expired.

- Our general guide on how to find cheap flights.

- Example Itinerary -
b570fe3d61af0ffe626ba86137c7e260.png?r=2

On 13/01/2020 at 20:23, bovril said:

Has anyone been to the Basque Country? Planning to head to San Sebastian in spring. 

Great city but probably still only just gets into my top 10 in Spain - my favourite country!

I went a few years ago but it's just a lovely place to walk around and enjoy the coast. I did notice a big difference in the prices of food and drink compared to the south though. A lot more pricey.

We went to Burgos afterwards which I would highly recommend but it's a few hours away. I need to visit Asturias too - heard very good things. 

On 14/01/2020 at 18:57, Dr The Singh said:

I'm currently in New York for a conference.  The more time I spend here, the more shit it is .

This is my 8th time

Hence why i stay in the great white north! Come to the land of frozen tundra!

You wont be able to escape from the monarchy though..... lol

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Just booked a weeks all inclusive with the missus and bairn to go to Zante in May, last out of season holiday before he starts school and we go Rhyl every year.

If you're in Leicestershire you need to make use of the first week of our school summer holidays in July when he starts, we always finish a week before the rest of the country so it's still cheap. Same goes for our October half term but I think that's going to change in the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you're in Leicestershire you need to make use of the first week of our school summer holidays in July when he starts, we always finish a week before the rest of the country so it's still cheap. Same goes for our October half term but I think that's going to change in the future. 

14 hours ago, Raj said:

Booked a week in Malta in Easter.

Hotel near St.Pauls bay.

Anyone been Malta- any tips etc

Car hire is really cheap, and is probably the best way to get around. They drive on the left like us but they drive like maniacs, there's very little roundabout discipline and apart from the main roads the roads are pretty narrow. If you do hire I'd recommend doing it through Zest and paying for the extra insurance, it's about £15 and means you don't need to worry if anything happens. The main companies are at the airport but there are plenty of horror stories about them ripping people off, I've hired in Malta using Zest plenty of times and never had a problem. 

Buses are modern, reliable and cheap. Apart from the express services though they take ages. 

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! 

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go! They're fab, lots of food, music and fab fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them! 

Hth, give me a shout if you want to know anything more 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

In Tenerife at the minute and I’m pretty sure people are out numbered by mobility scooters by at least 2.1, even seen a tandem earlier lol.

I feel so young despite being nearly completely grey.

Sounds like Hunstanton.