Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

13 minutes ago, E.Rose said:

No worries, yeah 2k-ish would be fine each; I’ve put some costs below to give you an idea of where most of your money is likely to go but most of your expenses will be on travel and accommodation as expected. 

I’ll let you research accommodation prices as it will vary depending on where you’re staying and what type of place you want to stay at.

Please take these as rough costs; it was a few years since I went so my memory on what I spent isn’t spot on.

Travel:

As mentioned before please consider getting a Japan Rail Pass, they may seem pricey but let’s say you did the trip from the airport to Tokyo, that’d be around £21pp, and again on your return, £42 in total pp, then if you used it to get from Tokyo to Kyoto it would be an additional £91pp for only a single ticket, you can see how quickly the cost would rack up without one. You’ll very quickly save money.

Plus should you ever miss a train then there’s no need to worry money wise, just buy another ticket and you’re covered. Local buses are included too (basically any travel with JR on it)

Please do your own research but from a quick glance this looks like a reputable company to use https://www.jrailpass.com/ - usually the pass is posted out to you then once you’re at the airport there’ll be a counter somewhere (good luck finding it, it took me ages hah) where you exchange it for a proper pass.  The passes can be sold in zones so if you’re not travelling far then you can get it at a much lower price, but for what it’s worth you may as well pay for the full country wide pass (14 day £331) and have the freedom of being able to use it where you want.  

In Tokyo some of the metro lines you can’t use the pass for but each fair is only in the region £1.20, if you put £25 aside that’d be more than enough each.

That with the cost of the pass you’re looking at around £356 each.

Local Attractions:

I’ll list what I paid to see so you can get an idea.

Tokyo Sky Tree Combo Ticket (deck and gallery):  £23pp

These were all around £3.50 - Meji Shrine (Tokyo),  Kinkakuji (Golden Temple Kyoto),  Arashiyama (Kyoto):  The bamboo forest is free but the temple is likely to be around £3.50pp

Nara Park: £3.50 & another £3.50 for entrance to Todaiji Temple.

I definitely saw more than that but you’re looking at £40 for the above which is about 4/5 days worth of things to do. Not many places are free but they’re relatively cheap, I can’t think of anywhere off the top of my head that you’d pay more money for.

Food:

Depends on your preferences, you don’t need to spend much at all to have a good meal, food in convenience stores is of great quality for a quick snack on the go, there’s many options for cheap meals that you order on a vending machine outside the restaurant, or you can go high end and go to Sukiyasbashi Jiro in Tokyo and spend £280 for arguably the best sushi in the world!

This article is good for food costs overall https://matcha-jp.com/en/2532

Other Costs

Souvenirs/general shopping and whatever else, portable WiFi packs are £40 as seen on the Japan Rail pass link I sent, I didn't get one but later into the trip wish I had, I didn't see any options to get one apart from at the airport. 

Overall cost pp without accommodation (estimate):

£500+ for food, £356 travel, £100 entrance fees/attractions (deffo more than you need) = £956

Really appreciate this mate, thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

is it worth paying more for being right in the centre or pay less for a hotel just outside?

Generally speaking, it of course depends where you're going and what you're looking to do but for me, city centre every time - or a hotel that is easily walkable.  It's a pain in the arse to start pfaffing with local transport, particularly last bus/train scenarios. Plus, I've always liked the option of going back to the hotel in the afternoon; to rest the feet, have a kip and shower/change before going out again. It's so much easier to do that if you're staying downtown.

I visited New York once the weekend of the marathon. I didn't realise when booking flights that it was the marathon weekend and couldn't find a hotel room (affordable) in Manhattan and ended up staying in Queens. Now that wasn't actually a problem, and was indeed interesting in its own right, but it did change the nature of my intended visit.  

I've been to Amsterdam many times and have stayed centrally each time. Tbh, I don't even know what there is outside the centre! My interests at the time were, shall we say, limited! lol

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mabrah said:

Generally speaking, it of course depends where you're going and what you're looking to do but for me, city centre every time - or a hotel that is easily walkable.  It's a pain in the arse to start pfaffing with local transport, particularly last bus/train scenarios. Plus, I've always liked the option of going back to the hotel in the afternoon; to rest the feet, have a kip and shower/change before going out again. It's so much easier to do that if you're staying downtown.

I visited New York once the weekend of the marathon. I didn't realise when booking flights that it was the marathon weekend and couldn't find a hotel room (affordable) in Manhattan and ended up staying in Queens. Now that wasn't actually a problem, and was indeed interesting in its own right, but it did change the nature of my intended visit.  

I've been to Amsterdam many times and have stayed centrally each time. Tbh, I don't even know what there is outside the centre! My interests at the time were, shall we say, limited! lol

Cheers! Yeah I think we’ll probably go central in the end so don’t have a long journey when hammered late at night.

55 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

India is a continent, what are you asking?

No it isn’t 😂 
I was asking if anyone had been to India, this is a holiday thread. I’d think people would realise it was clear I was asking for recommendations? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I have . Amazing country ,but prepare yourself for the shits on a biblical scale .

It’s alright, women don’t poo anyway. Thought everyone knew that. 

I was looking into the Golden Triangle kinda area but I’ve seen some guided tours that look good and they’re all over the country, is there anywhere that stood out for you in particular? 

8 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Amsterdam (I’m probably about the only one here not been there).

We’re doing the booze cruise so only going go for a hotel for one night, but is it worth paying more for being right in the centre or pay less for a hotel just outside?

You looked at Airbnb? One of the best airbnbs I've done was for Amsterdam at a place about 2 miles North of centraal over the river.

Picture postcard Holland and only a bike ride from centraal. 

Avoid Schiphol or anything anywhere near there. You may as well be in Milton Keynes

2 hours ago, E.Rose said:

No it isn’t 😂 
I was asking if anyone had been to India, this is a holiday thread. I’d think people would realise it was clear I was asking for recommendations? 

Hold on, you asked if someone has been to India, and I answered yes, where the fook did you ask for holiday recommendations?

This thread is 'has anyone booked a holiday yet', not give me the fook recommendations thread.

I was trying to help you.  India is a fooking continent, if you read its history, it was called the union alliance/states of India, it has over 100 languages, 200 religions, and numerous distinct regions that host this continent.  Saying has anyone been to India is like saying has anyone been to Europe or south America.

Anyhow, go and do one and hope some else can help you.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

You looked at Airbnb? One of the best airbnbs I've done was for Amsterdam at a place about 2 miles North of centraal over the river.

Picture postcard Holland and only a bike ride from centraal. 

Avoid Schiphol or anything anywhere near there. You may as well be in Milton Keynes

Cheers. Yeah, there’s very few places for six of us though unfortunately. We’d been looking at hotels and they were looking at £85 ish each, but then suddenly found the Ibis budget for about £20 each so bit of a no-brainer in the end.

Running down the clock waiting for the full weather picture for snowfall reports before booking anything - it’s all hardpack out there and freezing temperatures have been rubbish.

Gonna see where the snow is gonna fall and take a punt on something over the weekend for the following week.

Are you alright mate??

11 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hold on, you asked if someone has been to India, and I answered yes, where the fook did you ask for holiday recommendations?

I didn’t, didn’t say I did either, I said “I’d think people would realise it was clear I was asking for recommendations”

This thread is 'has anyone booked a holiday yet', not give me the fook recommendations thread.

Posted 5 January

Any hostel/hotel recommendations for Amsterdam? 

Posted 6 January

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Posted 15 January

Japan end of April, recommendations?

Posted Sunday at 15:00

It’s the wife’s 50th in September and she’s on about going to Iceland for 3/4 nights. Anyone been? Any recommendations what to do and how to get around?

Posted 11 January

Looking at Malta too???

Malta anyone?”

Posted 10 January

Just booked Zante for a week in august. Anyone been?”

I was trying to help you.  India is a fooking continent, if you read its history, it was called the union alliance/states of India, it has over 100 languages, 200 religions, and numerous distinct regions that host this continent.  Saying has anyone been to India is like saying has anyone been to Europe or south America.

Irrelevant because you still know exactly where I’m referring to as would the mass majority of people.  

Anyhow, go and do one and hope some else can help you

I have absolutely no doubt they will be able to whether it be on here or elsewhere.

P.s I shan’t be entertaining any futher comments so I’ll end this here. Enjoy your day.

55 minutes ago, E.Rose said:

Are you alright mate??

I didn’t, didn’t say I did either, I said “I’d think people would realise it was clear I was asking for recommendations”

Posted 5 January

Any hostel/hotel recommendations for Amsterdam? 

Posted 6 January

Looking to book my honeymoon for the first few weeks of September, thinking of somewhere in Europe as my partner doesnt like long flights (about 4/5 hours max). Usual places such as Paris and Rome have been mentioned, has anyone got any other recommendations?

Posted 15 January

Japan end of April, recommendations?

Posted Sunday at 15:00

It’s the wife’s 50th in September and she’s on about going to Iceland for 3/4 nights. Anyone been? Any recommendations what to do and how to get around?

Posted 11 January

Looking at Malta too???

Malta anyone?”

Posted 10 January

Just booked Zante for a week in august. Anyone been?”

Irrelevant because you still know exactly where I’m referring to as would the mass majority of people.  

I have absolutely no doubt they will be able to whether it be on here or elsewhere.

P.s I shan’t be entertaining any futher comments so I’ll end this here. Enjoy your day.

:plancque:too much anal vitriol posted to be bothered to respond.

There's been a bit of discussion about railway journeys so thought this might interest a few. I've done a couple of these - Mostar to Sarajevo is beautiful, and the Bulgarian narrow gauge is an experience. 

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jan/31/10-of-the-best-scenic-train-rail-journeys-in-europe-readers-tips?fbclid=IwAR3R4auV7eG3-PEMswRY23AH-l9acR9HXJpRD-wguITolB8txF3XomK0jlw#comments

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Not booked yet, but somewhere in the North West Highlands of Scotland,

I go up there quite a lot. Glen Affric (near Kyle) is beautiful and a bit off the beaten track. And the Kyle - Inverness line is very scenic and stops at some little halts that are good bases for climbs into the hills.