Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

So Vietnam has cancelled all visa's, we were due to go on our honeymoon April 9th which is obviously not happening. We booked everything through Trailfinders, do you think we will get a full refund? We are waiting to hear from them on their request as obviously they are so overhwlemed at the moment. We don't have any other time in the year we would like to go so we want our money back.

We've booked in the UK for Easter.  For reassurance, I took a look at their website since we booked through an online agent who accept no liability acting as the agent, and it clearly states there that if the holiday is cancelled at their end, we'll get a full refund as one of three possible outcomes.  We never take travel insurance whilst in the UK either, but I'm determined we'll get there now.  lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, z-layrex said:

So Vietnam has cancelled all visa's, we were due to go on our honeymoon April 9th which is obviously not happening. We booked everything through Trailfinders, do you think we will get a full refund? We are waiting to hear from them on their request as obviously they are so overhwlemed at the moment. We don't have any other time in the year we would like to go so we want our money back.

Yeah, Trailfinders are reputable so I’d imagine you are fine.

Is anybody able to clarify what you are and aren’t covered for in things like this?

I’m reading conflicting opinions on travel insurance etc. I’ve also read that it takes the Foreign Office to officially recommend not travelling (which they haven’t done), in order for people to be refunded for their flights/hotels, but my trip to the US Is off because as of Monday, the travel ban is in place. I don’t understand the difference, it’s confusing. 

When airlines go bust etc you get your money back. 

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Is anybody able to clarify what you are and aren’t covered for in things like this?

I’m reading conflicting opinions on travel insurance etc. I’ve also read that it takes the Foreign Office to officially recommend not travelling (which they haven’t done), in order for people to be refunded for their flights/hotels, but my trip to the US Is off because as of Monday, the travel ban is in place. I don’t understand the difference, it’s confusing. 

When airlines go bust etc you get your money back. 

Depends who/how you booked it.

Who did you book it with and how did you pay?

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Depends who/how you booked it.

Who did you book it with and how did you pay?

It’s quite ambiguous to be honest, there were 7 of us going, booking flights and hotels under different names etc. 

My understanding is that you’d turn to travel insurance if the airline didn’t pay out. We were due to fly with Norwegian who may still fly US citizens back, so I’m not sure what our rights are regarding cancellation. According to Martin Lewis our travel insurance should cover us under the FCO advising against flying. Quite confusing.

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s quite ambiguous to be honest, there were 7 of us going, booking flights and hotels under different names etc. 

My understanding is that you’d turn to travel insurance if the airline didn’t pay out. We were due to fly with Norwegian who may still fly US citizens back, so I’m not sure what our rights are regarding cancellation. According to Martin Lewis our travel insurance should cover us under the FCO advising against flying. Quite confusing.

Yeah your first port of call would be the airline and then your insurance if it covers that scenario. Did you pay on credit card? That should cover it if not.

If you booked accommodation and flights together you are will be covered for everything.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah your first port of call would be the airline and then your insurance if it covers that scenario. Did you pay on credit card? That should cover it if not.

If you booked accommodation and flights together you are will be covered for everything.

We booked the hotel under credit card but flights under a debit. It’s a visa though which I believe is eligible for the chargeback scheme. We had similar issues with Monarch and Thomas Cook lol 

58 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I supposed to go to Zurich in 2 weeks. Booked my flights on a Visa card and the hotel on a credit card. Tbh , I haven’t got a clue what’s happening.

I’d presume you won’t get a penny back unless official advice stops brits from entering.

3 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Got flights booked for Budapest end of April. Haven't booked any hotels yet and the flights only cost 50 quid for a return. So far i'm not losing out on a lot. 

Scheduled to be going Budapest a week today, think I will be cancelling at some point this week. At the minute there are no travel restrictions, and they've taken a different approach to neighbouring countries but feel its only a matter of time. The baths, ruin bars, museums are closing so there doesn't seem much point, even if flights aren't cancelled. 'Luckily' for me our hotel was booked with free cancellation, so I've got until the end of the week to cancel this. Then will have to look at flights, airport lounge and our pre-booked baths, river cruise and beer spa tickets to see if they are refundable.

I was supposed to be going travelling in Latin America and souther africa for a few months at the end of this month but that is not happening for obvious reasons now. I am lucky to be able to afford the financial hit from what was already arranged. 

I think it will be at least a year before international travel returns to something like normal

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Scheduled to be going Budapest a week today, think I will be cancelling at some point this week. At the minute there are no travel restrictions, and they've taken a different approach to neighbouring countries but feel its only a matter of time. The baths, ruin bars, museums are closing so there doesn't seem much point, even if flights aren't cancelled. 'Luckily' for me our hotel was booked with free cancellation, so I've got until the end of the week to cancel this. Then will have to look at flights, airport lounge and our pre-booked baths, river cruise and beer spa tickets to see if they are refundable.

Yes luckily i didn't book anything once this started spreading but man what a ball ache. Thing is if they country doesn't go on a full lockdown and allows flights it will be pointless to go if all the major attractions stay shut. 5 weeks away seems so long to go and so much has changes within days notice so it's hard to know what i want to do. Ahhhhh :frusty:

British Airways are offering free re-booking or cancellation for flights unitl 31 May. If you cancel though, you get a voucher rather than a refund.

But it seems likely there will be widespread cancellation by them anyhow, which presumably means you get a refund anyway?

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

British Airways are offering free re-booking or cancellation for flights unitl 31 May. If you cancel though, you get a voucher rather than a refund.

But it seems likely there will be widespread cancellation by them anyhow, which presumably means you get a refund anyway?

Its the same for my Egypt trip. After hearing TUI are cancelling flights to Egypt i got in touch with the company i booked with and they advised they will give me a credit note which will last for 11 months for me to re-book. When i said i wanted my money back they advised i would need to claim off my travel insurance. :( 

The plus point though is i paid for it all on credit card so i'm considering just cancelling it.