Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Best place I’ve been Vancouver. Let me know if you want any tips etc

Yes please mate was waiting for you to chip in, take your time haha.

In the city itself is a week too long? I’ll hopefully be there for 10 nights, spending 4 in Whistler and trying to work out if I would be better adding somewhere else in BC in or not.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yes please mate was waiting for you to chip in, take your time haha.

In the city itself is a week too long? I’ll hopefully be there for 10 nights, spending 4 in Whistler and trying to work out if I would be better adding somewhere else in BC in or not.

We went to the city for 10 nights and could have stayed longer. We went to Whistler just for a day, it was between seasons though so not the best. If we go again I would probably look at the ferry to Victoria as a trip that looked nice. I will let you know on bars and stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

We went to the city for 10 nights and could have stayed longer. We went to Whistler just for a day, it was between seasons though so not the best. If we go again I would probably look at the ferry to Victoria as a trip that looked nice. I will let you know on bars and stuff.

What time of year did you go? I thought May would be full on spring but turns out can still ski there a bit which will mean less of the mountains are open for hiking but I’m fine with being able to ski.

Just been looking at trips over to the island, didn’t realise it was as big as it is so will probably book a couple of nights on there as well.

We spent a month in Vancouver in 2017 at the end of a 10 month trip traveling South and Central America. I think you definitely have time to add an extra stop while still having time to see enough of the city. Victoria by boat is a great idea, we did that. Tofino which is also on Vancouver Island was highly recommended to us as a bit of a surf / hippy enclave but we didn't have time and didn't fancy the long drive with our 2 year old daughter.

Back on the mainland we drove north to Whistler and stopped off in Squamish which was pretty cool. And we finished with a 2 day drive to Calgary, stopping off in Canmore near Banff for a few days on the way. That drive is stunning but may be a push to fit in to your itinerary.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, James. said:

We spent a month in Vancouver in 2017 at the end of a 10 month trip traveling South and Central America. I think you definitely have time to add an extra stop while still having time to see enough of the city. Victoria by boat is a great idea, we did that. Tofino which is also on Vancouver Island was highly recommended to us as a bit of a surf / hippy enclave but we didn't have time and didn't fancy the long drive with our 2 year old daughter.

Back on the mainland we drove north to Whistler and stopped off in Squamish which was pretty cool. And we finished with a 2 day drive to Calgary, stopping off in Canmore near Banff for a few days on the way. That drive is stunning but may be a push to fit in to your itinerary.

Talk to me about your South/Central America trip? It's been on my bucket list for a long time!

33 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

What time of year did you go? I thought May would be full on spring but turns out can still ski there a bit which will mean less of the mountains are open for hiking but I’m fine with being able to ski.

Just been looking at trips over to the island, didn’t realise it was as big as it is so will probably book a couple of nights on there as well.

We went in April, the weather was pretty decent. 

19 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate, that’s why I’m giving it a miss next year because I want to do everything you have listed there.

Looks a crazy place.

Anyone got any tips for Vancouver and the surrounding area? I’ve been skiing in Whistler but this will be in May. 

6 hours ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Vancouver itself is fantastic - one of the world's best cities in my opinion in terms of where it;s situated.

I'd recommend getting a sea plane to Vancouver Island, exploring Gastown and Granville Island Market. Also go to Grouse Mountain and ride a bike around the Stanley Park Sea Wall, you won't regret it.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Best place I’ve been Vancouver. Let me know if you want any tips etc

We are hoping to do an Alaskan cruise starting from Vancouver. I was thinking of just a couple of days there beforehand, but sounds like we might need more?! 

53 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Talk to me about your South/Central America trip? It's been on my bucket list for a long time!

In short we started in Rio (during Olympics) and then worked our way down the east coast of the continent from Brazil to Uruguay and then to Argentina. Stopped off for a month in Buenos Aires before heading further south to Patagonia and then Ushuaia (which is cited as the world's most southerly city). From there we headed back north to Cordoba and Mendoza and then Chile including Santiago, the volcanic region in the south and the isle of Chiloe. After that we went to Peru (just briefly, got really ill and struggled to escape) then Costa Rica (wow) then Mexico (only Mexico City, great place though) and from there we flew to Vancouver.

We didn't do some of the classic destinations like Machu Pichu, Cusco, Amazon, Atacama, etc and had long stays in BA and Santiago largely as we were travelling with our daughter who was 1-2 at the time.

Amazing continent, amazing scenery, people, culture, etc etc. Could bang on about it for hours. If you have any specific questions let me know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rachhere said:

We are hoping to do an Alaskan cruise starting from Vancouver. I was thinking of just a couple of days there beforehand, but sounds like we might need more?! 

I would say 4-5 days would be enough to do all the things you need in Vanvcouver.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, James. said:

In short we started in Rio (during Olympics) and then worked our way down the east coast of the continent from Brazil to Uruguay and then to Argentina. Stopped off for a month in Buenos Aires before heading further south to Patagonia and then Ushuaia (which is cited as the world's most southerly city). From there we headed back north to Cordoba and Mendoza and then Chile including Santiago, the volcanic region in the south and the isle of Chiloe. After that we went to Peru (just briefly, got really ill and struggled to escape) then Costa Rica (wow) then Mexico (only Mexico City, great place though) and from there we flew to Vancouver.

We didn't do some of the classic destinations like Machu Pichu, Cusco, Amazon, Atacama, etc and had long stays in BA and Santiago largely as we were travelling with our daughter who was 1-2 at the time.

Amazing continent, amazing scenery, people, culture, etc etc. Could bang on about it for hours. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Fantastic bucket list trip that is, i'll have to wait until i'm retired for that amount of travel.

I did Buenos Aires and Rio last year. South America is without a doubt the most vibrant, chaotic, intoxicating place you could ever imagine.

Just don't go into a favela in Rio on your own like I did. Not the best idea i;ve ever had.

We were supposed to be going to Athens last week but had to cancel the week before due to potential lockdowns here and in Greece (both of which happened).  Accommodation cancelled (no deposit involved), but pleasantly surprised that the Ryanair refund went into my account TODAY!  Gobsmacked after hearing some if the issues with them. 

1 hour ago, Vince Vega said:

We were supposed to be going to Athens last week but had to cancel the week before due to potential lockdowns here and in Greece (both of which happened).  Accommodation cancelled (no deposit involved), but pleasantly surprised that the Ryanair refund went into my account TODAY!  Gobsmacked after hearing some if the issues with them. 

That’s crazy, I’m waiting for money from them cancelling my flights to Athens about a month ago.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I was meant to be there as well, booked with Ryanair so not so lucky.

Ryanair get knocked but never had a problem with them

Had a 5 hour delay from Ibiza last year and they paid compensation within 3 weeks

And still grateful for the pilots who brought us back safely from Seville after the CL game!!

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Ryanair get knocked but never had a problem with them

Had a 5 hour delay from Ibiza last year and they paid compensation within 3 weeks

And still grateful for the pilots who brought us back safely from Seville after the CL game!!

Haha the weather was mental that day wasn’t it, was definitely landed on auto pilot.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha the weather was mental that day wasn’t it, was definitely landed on auto pilot.

Shame we ended up at Birmingham instead of Stansted but after two failed attempts at landing, and with the plane tipping from side to side, I was just glad we got down safely anywhere.

Most nervous I've ever been on a plane.

Question for all that have been to Rio.

Aside from the favela's which I have no desire to see, is it safe in all the area's of Rio that We may want to spend time in? Copacabana, Ipanema etc.

Are tickets to football games easily available?

Also any hints on places to see/avoid. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, boots60 said:

Aside from the favela's which I have no desire to see, is it safe in all the area's of Rio that We may want to spend time in? Copacabana, Ipanema etc.

Yes and yes in my experience. It was all safe if you were careful, and I went to flamengo v nacional at the Maracana, South American champions league match

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 14:21, James. said:

Thanks mate, definitely haven’t got the time to drive to Calgary as I’ve already looked at that.

Think we have decided to do 3 nights in Whistler and then it gives us a bit more freedom to see other parts. Probably won’t stop in Squamish because it’s pretty close to Whistler but will definitely spend some time exploring round there. I’ve looked in to moving to Vancouver many times and Squamish always looks the best of both world so rude not to check it out.

On 13/11/2020 at 13:49, boots60 said:

Ipanema is pretty safe as is Leblon next door. Having said that i'd still avoid taking valuables anywhere and don't leave your watch/mobile phone on show etc.

Copacabana is a bit more rough around the edges in my experience and i'd urge a bit more caution there.

In terms of what to do, despite your reservations i'd do an organised favela tour. they're fascinating and completely safe. Rocinha was one that I did, unfortunately I also did Vidigal but that was on my own! Other than that, sugar loaf mountain, Copacabana beach, Christ the Redeeemer and Tijuca Jungle tours are all musts in my opinion. I also did Parque Large which was beautiful.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 13:49, boots60 said:

Add leblon to that list…. Just have your wits about yiu

go and find a nice pousada in Buziois too

• 2 weeks later...

Think i'm gonna start looking at booking places for September or October. Thailand hopefully although a bit apprehensive of the country kicking off because of the king or whatever. With the vaccine looking likely I want to catch the wave before the prices for flights shoot up. Think i'm only going to book with a half decent airline though. Won't ever touch KLM after trying to get my refund last time.