Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Back from Greece. Had a great week and apart from any bar/hotel staff wearing masks, it was like COVID didn't exist, which was quite nice.

Few too many fat all inclusive Brits abroad though. 

Where did you go? I'm off to Corfu on Sunday, fingers crossed!

Hoping for some levels of normality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Where did you go? I'm off to Corfu on Sunday, fingers crossed!

Hoping for some levels of normality.

We went to Kos mate which was nice. The closest wasn't great but the hotel was superb and we went on a couple of bike rides out to nicer beaches. 

You may have read about the Passenger Locator Form that you have to fill out and you'll receive a QR Code that the passport control guys will look at. As people have worked out, if it begins with an odd number, you'll likely be tested at the airport. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Went to Cornwall for a week over summer, did wonders for my mental health just to get away and have a breather from the daily stresses (which this year have been ramped up by 1000 for pretty much everyone!)

Bloody beautiful part of the country and made me appreciate that we really do have some nice places to visit in the UK. Hoping next year to fly up to Inverness, rent a car and go round the Isle of Skye.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Went to Cornwall for a week over summer, did wonders for my mental health just to get away and have a breather from the daily stresses (which this year have been ramped up by 1000 for pretty much everyone!)

Bloody beautiful part of the country and made me appreciate that we really do have some nice places to visit in the UK. Hoping next year to fly up to Inverness, rent a car and go round the Isle of Skye.

I’d definitely recommend Inverness and Skye, I’m off up there in a few weeks and have been for the last couple of years.

Absolutely incredible scenery, id definitely recommend getting the ferry to Harris as well which takes about 2 hours and the beaches are genuinely like the best beaches you will get abroad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’d definitely recommend Inverness and Skye, I’m off up there in a few weeks and have been for the last couple of years.

Absolutely incredible scenery, id definitely recommend getting the ferry to Harris as well which takes about 2 hours and the beaches are genuinely like the best beaches you will get abroad.

Iwent two weeks ago for a few days, isle of skye plus assorted places around the highlands: Balmoral, ben nevis, obligatory few whisky distilleries. You're right about the scenery, it's brilliant, unlike anywhere in the UK.

On 13/10/2020 at 16:53, Sampson said:

What are you guys who are visiting countries on the quarenteen list doing for insurance? I'm interested to know how feasible these countries are still.

I know the European Health Card covers some things but it doesnt cover repatriation in case of illness I thought.

I’m away at the moment in a place on the list, my insurance was £11.00 which covered hospital costs if I were to catch covid. I’m fortunately in good health and had no health issues to declare on the form.

Quarantine will be a bind though! 

8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m away at the moment in a place on the list, my insurance was £11.00 which covered hospital costs if I were to catch covid. I’m fortunately in good health and had no health issues to declare on the form.

Quarantine will be a bind though! 

The quarantine situation is a bit of a farce.  I was reading earlier about a lad from Liverpool saying how he’s got to quarantine on return from a place with ten times less cases than where he lives.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Iwent two weeks ago for a few days, isle of skye plus assorted places around the highlands: Balmoral, ben nevis, obligatory few whisky distilleries. You're right about the scenery, it's brilliant, unlike anywhere in the UK.

Nice, what was the weather like? I’ve only ever been in May.

12 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

The quarantine situation is a bit of a farce.  I was reading earlier about a lad from Liverpool saying how he’s got to quarantine on return from a place with ten times less cases than where he lives.

A bit of a farce is a huge understatement and I’m gobsmacked how the government seems to have completely washed its hands of the travel industry. It’s as if they believe the disease is rampant abroad and virtually non existent  at home, 20/100.000 was a completely ridiculous figure in the first place and even more so now. 

23 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Back from Greece. Had a great week and apart from any bar/hotel staff wearing masks, it was like COVID didn't exist, which was quite nice.

Few too many fat all inclusive Brits abroad though. 

I guess you go to those type of resorts knowing want the clientele will be like and accept it for what they are.

Glad you had a good time anyway, any trip away this year is well deserved.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

We went to Kos mate which was nice. The closest wasn't great but the hotel was superb and we went on a couple of bike rides out to nicer beaches. 

You may have read about the Passenger Locator Form that you have to fill out and you'll receive a QR Code that the passport control guys will look at. As people have worked out, if it begins with an odd number, you'll likely be tested at the airport. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Sounds good. Yeah thanks - I've already done the PLF etc. I was crossing fingers that Corfu escaped the quarantine list and thankfully it has, for now.

Won't be able to fully relax until i'm sat with a cold pint of Mythos though!

38 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Just booked Grand Canaria in Feb, will probably get cancelled but it gives us something to look forward too over the winter.

Hope you get to go, I’m in Mogán now, probably a third of the restaurant’s are open and it’s still quiet but it’s great to get away and sit on a beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Hope you get to go, I’m in Mogán now, probably a third of the restaurant’s are open and it’s still quiet but it’s great to get away and sit on a beach.

I’ve booked all inclusive plus just in case there isn’t much open. We like to go out but at least if we can’t we can get table service restaurant.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 11:37, TheUltimateWinner said:

Can highly recommend it. We go there lots. Inverness is beautiful, especially down by the river. The drive from there to Skye is amazingly scenic, Loch Ness, The Sisters of Kintail, Eilean Donan. For a real treat, drive over to Applecross. That's a stunning and in places, terrifying drive.

In fact, why not drive to Inverness. Just the drive up there is great once you get off the motorway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Can highly recommend it. We go there lots. Inverness is beautiful, especially down by the river. The drive from there to Skye is amazingly scenic, Loch Ness, The Sisters of Kintail, Eilean Donan. For a real treat, drive over to Applecross. That's a stunning and in places, terrifying drive.

In fact, why not drive to Inverness. Just the drive up there is great once you get off the motorway.

On a whim, i chucked a tent in the boot, some food and booze in a cool box and drove up on my own to Glencoe a couple of summers ago, starting early on a quiet Sunday. 

I loved it. I never knew the UK could be so stunning.

• Like 2

The quarantine on return is barely being enforced anyway 

They ring a small sample of people who have entered the country and ask them if they are self isolating....that's the check.

Only if you fail to answer the call 3 times then MAYBE someone knocks at the door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It’s a slog to be fair. I drove all the way back from Harris (ferry for 2 hours as well obviously) and that was pretty grim in a day. On the way up I slept in a lay-by in Fort William but this year will likely be in 1 go.

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a slog to be fair. I drove all the way back from Harris (ferry for 2 hours as well obviously) and that was pretty grim in a day. On the way up I slept in a lay-by in Fort William but this year will likely be in 1 go.

Drove back from John O'Groats in one day. Wouldn't recommend it.

Nowadays we usually drive up to southern Scotland on Friday evening and stay in the cheapest hotel we can find around Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Last time we stayed at Falkirk and someone mentioned The Kelpies, which we'd never heard of, but so glad we stopped off there on the way home. Amazing sculpture!

How was Harris? Always fancied going to the Outer Hebrides. Been to Skye and Orkney, but that would be he next step. Would also like to visit Shetland some time.

4 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Drove back from John O'Groats in one day. Wouldn't recommend it.

Nowadays we usually drive up to southern Scotland on Friday evening and stay in the cheapest hotel we can find around Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Last time we stayed at Falkirk and someone mentioned The Kelpies, which we'd never heard of, but so glad we stopped off there on the way home. Amazing sculpture!

How was Harris? Always fancied going to the Outer Hebrides. Been to Skye and Orkney, but that would be he next step. Would also like to visit Shetland some time.

Harris is absolutely stunning in places, the best beaches in the uk I would say. There isn’t much there obviously but would definitely recommend it.

What was Orkney like?