Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Depending on how long you go for and the budget, we went for a mini-moon package (crap term I know) at The Gilpin near Bowness on Windermere in the Lake District for 3 nights from Monday to Thursday after we got married. Absolutely loved it, we admittedly splashed on ourselves given the one off ocassion.

Yeah looking for about 3 nights, Lake District is on the shortlist as it were - Cotswolds and Edinburgh also.

21 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

At the moment we’ve only planned to visit Auschwitz, it would be great if you could let me know other things to do 👍🏼

I'd suggest doing Auschwitz in the morning follwed by the Salt Mines, probably a good way of decompressing as opposed to hitting the pub or something straight after Auschwitz. I'm sure Tim will have other suggestions as I think I just followed by nose outside of those two things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'd suggest doing Auschwitz in the morning follwed by the Salt Mines, probably a good way of decompressing as opposed to hitting the pub or something straight after Auschwitz. I'm sure Tim will have other suggestions as I think I just followed by nose outside of those two things.

Thank you for that, I’ll look into the salt mines 👍🏼

25 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Thank you for that, I’ll look into the salt mines 👍🏼

Kazimierz is a nice part of Krakow. It's the Jewish quarter, 10 mins walk from the main square. Not as busy as the main part but has lots to see, very old buildings, cafes. Hevré is a nice cool bar, still has decor dating back 100 years. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

At the moment we’ve only planned to visit Auschwitz, it would be great if you could let me know other things to do 👍🏼

Absolutely what nalis said about doing both in a day, Auschwitz can probably be pretty harrowing (I didn't find it so, but still a very surreal day) and ending the day on a high with the salt mines is great, me and my fiance did the same thing.

12 hours ago, Nalis said:

👍

7 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

Kazimierz is a nice part of Krakow. It's the Jewish quarter, 10 mins walk from the main square. Not as busy as the main part but has lots to see, very old buildings, cafes. Hevré is a nice cool bar, still has decor dating back 100 years. 

This too, there is a wonderful free walking tour that set off from main square that ends Kazimierz and looks back at Jewish Krakow during WW2 and the Oskar Schindler and then Krakow under Soviet rule.

Other than these I would spend a day exploring the city it's simply beautiful, take a stroll down the royal lane, the castle is what it is and can be a drag but the cathedral is beautiful and worth a visit.

Randomly The zoo is also incredible, I've been twice and it feels empty in terms of tourists but yet has every animal you could think of.

Eating out the world is your Oyster but I would recommend getting stuck into the polish grub in one of the hundreds of basement restaurants. (If street food is your thing then I can recommend a few spots)

I was lucky enough to catch a Krakow derby footie match with the legend himself big Marc Was playing, deffo something that needs to be checked out if your able too

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Had to cancel my Canada trip in May for obvious reasons, I’ve booked to go to New Orleans in November instead.

On the off chance this actually goes ahead, any tips?

No tips but i'm planning Texas, Louisiana and New Orleans about the same time, but haven't booked yet because of the uncertainty. I can't be doing with changing travel goalposts every 5 minutes like last year.

Edited by Mapperleyfox

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Had to cancel my Canada trip in May for obvious reasons, I’ve booked to go to New Orleans in November instead.

On the off chance this actually goes ahead, any tips?

New Orleans is amazing. The food is incredible but the music is the best thing about the place. So many cool venues on Frenchman Street alone but loads dotted all over the city. Maple Leaf on a Tuesday is must to see Rebirth. Hot 8 play The Howling Wolf every Sunday. So many places I could go on and on.

If you're there on a Sunday you must do 2nd line wherever it is. One of the best days of my life. You follow a band around the streets for hours with hundreds if not thousands of other people. Drinking, dancing and eating the most amazing BBQ along the way.

Watch Treme for a real flavour of the place. It was better than any guide book. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Soup said:

New Orleans is amazing. The food is incredible but the music is the best thing about the place. So many cool venues on Frenchman Street alone but loads dotted all over the city. Maple Leaf on a Tuesday is must to see Rebirth. Hot 8 play The Howling Wolf every Sunday. So many places I could go on and on.

If you're there on a Sunday you must do 2nd line wherever it is. One of the best days of my life. You follow a band around the streets for hours with hundreds if not thousands of other people. Drinking, dancing and eating the most amazing BBQ along the way.

Watch Treme for a real flavour of the place. It was better than any guide book. 

Thanks mate, it really does look great. I’ve got a mate who has been a few times and wondered why but the more I’m looking into it I can see why.

The only flights I could book mean I’m there for 10 nights so the Sunday thing looks like an idea, the obvious Covid complications withstanding, so will look into that.

Will probably drive to Houston and stay for a few nights as well.

23 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate, it really does look great. I’ve got a mate who has been a few times and wondered why but the more I’m looking into it I can see why.

The only flights I could book mean I’m there for 10 nights so the Sunday thing looks like an idea, the obvious Covid complications withstanding, so will look into that.

Will probably drive to Houston and stay for a few nights as well.

Hopefully by November all restrictions will be lifted. To find out about second line use WWOZ and they will give the schedule nearer the time. https://www.wwoz.org/programs/inthestreet  Go to the section called"Taking it to the streets" 

I'm jealous mate, you'll have a great time there. I've gotta get back

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Cyprus it is then if you've had the vaccine and come from UK or Israel. 

Hopefully Greece will open up to us soon. 

BBC News - Covid-19: Cyprus to welcome vaccinated UK tourists from May
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

Be interesting to see how you're supposed to provide proof of vaccine. The start of vaccine passports then? 

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Be interesting to see how you're supposed to provide proof of vaccine. The start of vaccine passports then? 

By seeing if you've bought any Microsoft products in the electronics section of the duty free :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Like the Israeli green digital certificate perhaps. :dunno:

Not sure that I'd want to go to Greece if its full of those dirty unvaccinated Germans. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Cyprus it is then if you've had the vaccine and come from UK or Israel. 

Hopefully Greece will open up to us soon. 

BBC News - Covid-19: Cyprus to welcome vaccinated UK tourists from May
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

This should not be allowed until everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, it is discriminatory. Just because Israel, the UK has a good vaccination programme does not mean they should have an advantage over other people/countries. The same goes for the over 60s having an advantage over younger people. Fully understand that one day this might be implemented when everyone has an equal opportunity to get the vaccination but until that point, it breeds inequality.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This should not be allowed until everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, it is discriminatory. Just because Israel, the UK has a good vaccination programme does not mean they should have an advantage over other people/countries. The same goes for the over 60s having an advantage over younger people. Fully understand that one day this might be implemented when everyone has an equal opportunity to get the vaccination but until that point, it breeds inequality.

Of course, by the same token, people from the UK shouldn't be allowed to have holidays at all.  It's discriminatory.  The UK is a rich country, and people in poor countries can't afford holidays the same way.

If you want to abolish discrimination between rich and poor for holidays, coronavirus jabs are small beer.

48 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Of course, by the same token, people from the UK shouldn't be allowed to have holidays at all.  It's discriminatory.  The UK is a rich country, and people in poor countries can't afford holidays the same way.

If you want to abolish discrimination between rich and poor for holidays, coronavirus jabs are small beer.

But you have discrimination within one country as well. It would be like all under 50s ignoring any COVID regulations as they are at low risk. Why should they care about the over 50s when it doesn't affect them? Now those people are being punished for being low risk and not requiring a vaccine until everyone else more at risk has. The vaccination priority makes absolute sense, but until everyone has been given the opportunity to have two doses, "passports" should not be a thing.

The world is far from being even but where possible, people should be given equal chances. Things like this would encourage queue jumping and paying their way to the top. There is too much power play in the world as it stands.

11 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

But you have discrimination within one country as well. It would be like all under 50s ignoring any COVID regulations as they are at low risk. Why should they care about the over 50s when it doesn't affect them? Now those people are being punished for being low risk and not requiring a vaccine until everyone else more at risk has. The vaccination priority makes absolute sense, but until everyone has been given the opportunity to have two doses, "passports" should not be a thing.

The world is far from being even but where possible, people should be given equal chances. Things like this would encourage queue jumping and paying their way to the top. There is too much power play in the world as it stands.

Honestly, if I can't go on holiday because of coronavirus it wouldn't make me feel any better to stop the lady next door from going on holiday.  I know communism, as pointed out by Churchill, is all about equal sharing of miseries; I'm not a fan.  If I can't be happy it doesn't mean I will stop someone else from being happy.

It really wouldn't be like under 50's ignoring covid rules because they were low risk.  Under 50's had to obey covid rules because not to obey them would hurt other people.  If a vaccinated old person gets to Cyprus a month or two ahead of you, only our feelings can be hurt.  And hurt feelings is something we are better off learrning to live with.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 17:31, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Krakow £53 and Reykjavik £58 flights booked for January and February 2022.

Both from Luton. 

Haven’t read all the replies, so might have been mentioned. If you are thinking of visiting Schindlers factory museum, might be better booking time on line in advance. Walk-ins sometimes have a bit of a wait as limited numbers admitted at any one time. 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 16:54, LVocey said:

Looking at booking a UK based honeymoon for June, has anyone got any recommendations? Anywhere other than Cornwall

As foxestalkers honorary Norfolkian I am obliged to try and sell the county. Great white sand beaches, loads of history (medieval churches, castles, stately homes), some fantastic pubs.

Failing that the NW of Scotland is stunning. My parents went there on honeymoon and are still married 50 years later so maybe a bad omen. 

Edited by bovril

6 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Why would you want to prevent people from travelling if they are able to? Much of this has not been fair, least of all on the travel, tourism and hospitality industries. Why would we punish these people and threaten their livelihoods further if we can alleviate it even if only slightly?

• Like 1