Jump to content
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just booked 10 days in Lake Garda for late September, hopefully things will be better by then. Has anyone been and got any recommendations? We were thinking of a day trip to Venice, a day in Milan, and possibly a day trip over the Swiss border? And the rest of the time round the lakes, eating lots of pizza, pasta and ice cream. Oh and drinking wine, obviously 😉 

I lived in Trento and Rovereto for a bit and know the area very well. Get yourself a South Tyrol travel pass and you can travel on all buses and regional trains in Trentino, South Tyrol and parts of Lombardy and Switzerland.

 

There are some absolutely fantastic off-the-beaten-track villages and paths in the mountains around Bolzano which I used to do a lot. I can send you a message nearer to the time to give you some specific recommendations for walks or day trips. I know Venice very well too.

 

Which part of Garda are you staying in by the way?

Edited by bovril
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bovril said:

I lived in Trento and Rovereto for a bit and know the area very well. Get yourself a South Tyrol travel pass and you can travel on all buses and regional trains in Trentino, South Tyrol and parts of Lombardy and Switzerland.

 

There are some absolutely fantastic off-the-beaten-track villages and paths in the mountains around Bolzano which I used to do a lot. I can send you a message nearer to the time to give you some specific recommendations for walks or day trips. I know Venice very well too.

 

Which part of Garda are you staying in by the way?

That would be great, thank you. We're staying in a town called Peschiera del Garda. Flights from here in Spain to Bergamo are very reasonable, and we thought we'd need to hire a car, but maybe not? Car hire does seem to be on the steeper side there, compared to what I've paid in other parts of Europe.

 

I've read plenty of off putting stories about Venice, but neither of us have been to Italy at all before, so we have to go, really. But we're very up for off the beaten track :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That would be great, thank you. We're staying in a town called Peschiera del Garda. Flights from here in Spain to Bergamo are very reasonable, and we thought we'd need to hire a car, but maybe not? Car hire does seem to be on the steeper side there, compared to what I've paid in other parts of Europe.

 

I've read plenty of off putting stories about Venice, but neither of us have been to Italy at all before, so we have to go, really. But we're very up for off the beaten track :)

I stayed there a few years back. Lovely place and the water taxi to the other little villages is brilliant. Also, the train to venice stops at Peschiera and takes roughly an hour. Well worth imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

That would be great, thank you. We're staying in a town called Peschiera del Garda. Flights from here in Spain to Bergamo are very reasonable, and we thought we'd need to hire a car, but maybe not? Car hire does seem to be on the steeper side there, compared to what I've paid in other parts of Europe.

 

I've read plenty of off putting stories about Venice, but neither of us have been to Italy at all before, so we have to go, really. But we're very up for off the beaten track :)

Venice is great, it's easy to get away from the tourists and find a beautiful little church or place where the locals eat and drink.

 

Would strongly recommend the area round Bolzano at least for a day trip. Verona's lovely too, and Trento is a little calmer and less touristy. 

 

Public transport is all very good, but I don't drive so can't compare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just booked 10 days in Lake Garda for late September, hopefully things will be better by then. Has anyone been and got any recommendations? We were thinking of a day trip to Venice, a day in Milan, and possibly a day trip over the Swiss border? And the rest of the time round the lakes, eating lots of pizza, pasta and ice cream. Oh and drinking wine, obviously 😉 

Don't bother with Milan.

 

Venice, Verona, even Modena (if you're a foodie) and Bologna are nicer places to visit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id second avoiding Milan and heading to Verona.

 

If you are flying to Bergamo go and explore Cita Alta for an afternoon as well.

 

Car hire from Bergamo airport was really cheap 5/6 years ago with some of the companies but if you value not getting a clapped out banger don’t go with the cheaper ones lol 

Edited by Costock_Fox
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone go to the Lake District in 2020? Was it basically the same folk who normally go pre covid but more of the same?

 

I'm a bit of a regular that gave 2020 a miss. Want to go back this summer but dont want to go if its full of chavs (I'm aware of how much of a snob this makes me sound lol).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Did anyone go to the Lake District in 2020? Was it basically the same folk who normally go pre covid but more of the same?

 

I'm a bit of a regular that gave 2020 a miss. Want to go back this summer but dont want to go if its full of chavs (I'm aware of how much of a snob this makes me sound lol).

I went for a week in July but I normally make great efforts to avoid the crowds anyway. I certainly wouldn't say it was full of chavs but it was very, very busy in the towns and main beauty spots.

 

But as always, if you get your boots on and a creative with your walking plans it is easy to avoid the crowds.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I went for a week in July but I normally make great efforts to avoid the crowds anyway. I certainly wouldn't say it was full of chavs but it was very, very busy in the towns and main beauty spots.

 

But as always, if you get your boots on and a creative with your walking plans it is easy to avoid the crowds.

Thanks and yes, very true on your last sentence!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Did anyone go to the Lake District in 2020? Was it basically the same folk who normally go pre covid but more of the same?

 

I'm a bit of a regular that gave 2020 a miss. Want to go back this summer but dont want to go if its full of chavs (I'm aware of how much of a snob this makes me sound lol).

We went up for a week in July it was very busy. Would 2nd what @stripeyfox says.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2021..aint going to be nice fixed /Package holidays...Workers trying to find Short deals, I reckon will still  have to follow quarantine regulations..

The maverick, come Adventure traveller,People willing to organize their own paths, Not Stuck to stringent time-periods....might find more opportunities...

Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked a holiday before the 1st lockdown and when it was cancelled instead of a refund they put the money against a new holiday plus 20% off. In August/September we booked for Thailand, we would have been going next week, but obviously it was cancelled again, this time we asked for a refund. It looks like they've refunded us the full amount, including the 20% off. I think we may have made a profit. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Krakow £53 and Reykjavik £58 flights booked for January and February 2022.

Both from Luton. 

Love Reykjavik, it's mega expensive though. Make use of the 'Happy' hours in the bars. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, isaidno said:

Finally got my flight refund from Ryanair, only taken 10 months :mad:

Took me about 3 months from klm. This is what puts me off booking anything. Doesn’t matter if i get a refund it’s the hassle of getting it back that I can’t be arsed for. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to book honeymoon for Dec/Jan in Caribbean. Hoping to get Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados included in a package.

 

Want a mix of relaxing (mainly this) and things to explore/sightsee/touristy stuff.

 

Already got an eye on doing one of the rum tours (Appleton Estate or Mount Gay distilleries). There's a fish-fry event (like a popular massive barbecue/fresh fish grill in Barbados) to do, Turtle Beach area we've seen, too. Hidden coves in Antigua as well.

 

If anyone has any other recommendations for the above islands, please say :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Looking to book honeymoon for Dec/Jan in Caribbean. Hoping to get Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados included in a package.

 

Want a mix of relaxing (mainly this) and things to explore/sightsee/touristy stuff.

 

Already got an eye on doing one of the rum tours (Appleton Estate or Mount Gay distilleries). There's a fish-fry event (like a popular massive barbecue/fresh fish grill in Barbados) to do, Turtle Beach area we've seen, too. Hidden coves in Antigua as well.

 

If anyone has any other recommendations for the above islands, please say :D 

I know it’s a long way away but I would be careful about making plans that include crossing multiple borders. Can imagine in some places that will still be messy for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...