Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a slog to be fair. I drove all the way back from Harris (ferry for 2 hours as well obviously) and that was pretty grim in a day. On the way up I slept in a lay-by in Fort William but this year will likely be in 1 go.

My roots are in Harris, Tarbert. 

Spent my school summer holidays there from 79 to 89 working on the family croft. 

I bet its different now compared to then. Everything shut on a Sunday and everyone speaking Gaelic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Harris is absolutely stunning in places, the best beaches in the uk I would say. There isn’t much there obviously but would definitely recommend it.

What was Orkney like? 

Properly wild. The largest town Kirkwall is only about the size of Oadby, but St Magnus' cathedral is impressively large. The rest of the mainland island is flat, but ruggedly windswept. The main interest to me was the ancient settlements and monuments like Skara Brae and the Ring of Brodgar. To think that people lived here over 5000 years ago, with bronze age technology is just amazing. Also good if you like wildlife, especially sea birds and birds of prey. With no real woodland (in fact, barely a tree anywhere) I think it's easier to spot all kinds of birds.

To everyone, if you ever just want to get away for modern life though, just visit the Highlands and Islands. You might as well be in a different country.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

My roots are in Harris, Tarbert. 

Spent my school summer holidays there from 79 to 89 working on the family croft. 

I bet its different now compared to then. Everything shut on a Sunday and everyone speaking Gaelic. 

Ah nice one mate, I guess it’s different when you live there but part of me would love to live somewhere so remote.

I can’t remember Tarbert to be fair but would have driven through it.

Just searched for it and it’s where the gin distillery is so I’ve definitely been .

Edited by Costock_Fox

On 18/10/2020 at 11:48, Costock_Fox said:

Ah nice one mate, I guess it’s different when you live there but part of me would love to live somewhere so remote.

I can’t remember Tarbert to be fair but would have driven through it.

Just searched for it and it’s where the gin distillery is so I’ve definitely been .

One cant be more Remote than Leic'shire Uk....!!

My wife kids & I have done the Autonomous Regions of China.(34yrs ago)..I reckon Next Year Touring internal regions of China

could be the safest parts of the World to travel...

We are going on tour to Discover the best English & German take-aways they can offer....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a weekend booked (hotel only) for the weekend after we are supposed to go out of lockdown in Bath.

Have until 10 days before to cancel it with no charge and would love to keep it but even things are opened up (with no lockdown extention) there might be fvck all open anyway so swaying towards cancelling.

I’ve got two lodges booked. One next week which will now obviously be cancelled and one the weekend before Xmas which I’d be surprised if happens as well. Serves me right for being a cheapskate and refusing to pay the august, September, October prices and picking two cheaper weekends. 😂

I’m up in the Scottish Highlands. Third time I’ve been up here and it blows me away every time.

Strangely, drove over to Skye to hike up Old Man of Storr and someone who lives on my bloody housing estate in Countesthorpe was there lol.

Pic of Glengarry view point near where I’m staying...

A95441EF-0ED2-454D-9741-AC85F357DEC6.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone been brave enough to book anything for next year? Just booked flights to Vancouver for May so hopefully that can go ahead.

I've booked flights to Chicago / Milwaukee in April, with Aer Lingus, but they offer free unlimited itinerary changes up to the day before departure.  So I can always put it off if the baseball hasn't reopened.  And the flights cost only half what they usually do.

At the moment there's about 6 of us on the plane.

Edited by dsr-burnley
  • Like 1

Anyone been brave enough to book anything for next year? Just booked flights to Vancouver for May so hopefully that can go ahead.

Yes I’ve booked Krakow for the end of March (slim chance of going) and Sardinia for June (quite hopeful) both flights return approximately £55 each, silly not to take a chance with those prices.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to go away in December but will wait to see how lockdown unfolds and try to book last minute, if it does end in early December as planned. Will base the destination on wherever the FCO let me travel to at that time

With the prices listed above ^ I might take a gamble with booking a few holidays for next summer too...

Edited by Houdini Logic

Not booked yet but currently looking Japan next October for 18 days or something. Looking to to tie it in to the F1 at Suzuka A friend’s parents moved to Tokyo at the start of the year so there’s free accommodation on offer, a no brainier if I can knock myself out for the flight

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Not booked yet but currently looking Japan next October for 18 days or something. Looking to to tie it in to the F1 at Suzuka A friend’s parents moved to Tokyo at the start of the year so there’s free accommodation on offer, a no brainier if I can knock myself out for the flight

Nice one, sounds amazing. Tokyo was on the list for my trip as well but I would want to do 2 weeks over there and didn’t have the time off for it.

37 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I've booked flights to Chicago / Milwaukee in April, with Aer Lingus, but they offer free unlimited itinerary changes up to the day before departure.  So I can always put it off if the baseball hasn't reopened.  And the flights cost only half what they usually do.

At the moment there's about 6 of us on the plane.

That’s good, I've got the same with BA minus a service charge as I’ve used a reward flight.

Nice one, sounds amazing. Tokyo was on the list for my trip as well but I would want to do 2 weeks over there and didn’t have the time off for it.

Did Japan in February this year just as the virus was breaking. I'd recommend it, fascinating and takes you out of your comfort zone. It can be a bit weird.

Try to get on the shinkansen train out of Tokyo and do Osaka and Kyoto, both are at least as good. Tokyo is endless though...several huge cities within a city. Never ending. We stayed in Shinjuku which was great.

if you want any advice etc drop me a note - happy to help.

1 minute ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Did Japan in February this year just as the virus was breaking. I'd recommend it, fascinating and takes you out of your comfort zone. It can be a bit weird.

Try to get on the shinkansen train out of Tokyo and do Osaka and Kyoto, both are at least as good. Tokyo is endless though...several huge cities within a city. Never ending. We stayed in Shinjuku which was great.

if you want any advice etc drop me a note - happy to help.

Thanks mate, that’s why I’m giving it a miss next year because I want to do everything you have listed there.

Looks a crazy place.

Anyone got any tips for Vancouver and the surrounding area? I’ve been skiing in Whistler but this will be in May. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Gran Canaria in feb, languedoc in July and then hopefully Dominican Republic or Barbados in September. It’s my 40th next year, so I’m going over the hill in style.

Well, if I die on top of the hill
And if I don't make it, you know my baby will

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate, that’s why I’m giving it a miss next year because I want to do everything you have listed there.

Looks a crazy place.

Anyone got any tips for Vancouver and the surrounding area? I’ve been skiing in Whistler but this will be in May. 

Vancouver itself is fantastic - one of the world's best cities in my opinion in terms of where it;s situated.

I'd recommend getting a sea plane to Vancouver Island, exploring Gastown and Granville Island Market. Also go to Grouse Mountain and ride a bike around the Stanley Park Sea Wall, you won't regret it.

• Like 1