Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Norfolk and Devon are the 2 best holiday counties imo. Lovely.

If we're talking purely England, Northumberland takes it for me for the beaches and the fact it's not quite as touristy followed closely by Cumbria for the Lake District (although only during the off season).

If we expand it UK wide the Highlands takes it hands down.

17 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Haven’t read all the replies, so might have been mentioned. If you are thinking of visiting Schindlers factory museum, might be better booking time on line in advance. Walk-ins sometimes have a bit of a wait as limited numbers admitted at any one time. 

Brilliant. Thank you 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

If we're talking purely England, Northumberland takes it for me for the beaches and the fact it's not quite as touristy followed closely by Cumbria for the Lake District (although only during the off season).

If we expand it UK wide the Highlands takes it hands down.

Tbf I've never been that far north so I couldn't comment. sounds cold though.

We’ve taken a bit of a flyer and last night rebooked 11 nights in Cape Verde departing 19th May! TUI, Boa Vista, Touareg. 

Will be having our second jabs on April 21st, so hope we are ok to go and hopefully no quarantining required when we get back. Watch the Spurs game in the sports bar over there. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Brilliant. Thank you 

Don't know whether it has been mentioned before but presuming this is about Krakow. If you're planning to go to Aushwitz make sure you book in advanced (it's free but you need a reservation) when I was there I failed to do this and went to Aushwitz 2-Birkinau instead as we couldn't get in to the original parts. Similarly the salt mines get massive queues but you can jump this with a pre booked ticket.

Another cool thing to consider which I found out about through a local who lives there is going to a milk bar. Basically they are cafes from the communist era that still exist today. They serve traditional food really cheap, originally they were there to provide milk for the workers during food shortages. It's an interesting part of history that has survived to the modern day. (they are fairly touristy these days).

Edited by peach0000
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Tbf I've never been that far north so I couldn't comment. sounds cold though.

Fair enough, it helped that I used to live up in Newcastle. It was essentially my back yard. The scenery is stunning although the weather is questionable at best lol

• Like 1

Off the record, if you’re thinking of booking abroad June/July then maybe think about those countries which are likely to have vaccinated their own populations well.  Hopefully august is safer re this as the programs move forward with time. I’ve heard that the govt will designate ‘safe’ countries to visit where quarantine on return is less likely to be required. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Off the record, if you’re thinking of booking abroad June/July then maybe think about those countries which are likely to have vaccinated their own populations well.  Hopefully august is safer re this as the programs move forward with time. I’ve heard that the govt will designate ‘safe’ countries to visit where quarantine on return is less likely to be required. 

What exactly does that mean. Surely that's a list of no more than 4 or 5. Israel, UAE, USA, UK. Are those essentially going to be the options?

On 02/03/2021 at 08:33, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

At the moment we’ve only planned to visit Auschwitz, it would be great if you could let me know other things to do 👍🏼

As others have said Salt Mine and Schlinders factory are good. Make sure on the way into the Salt Mine you have a look down the gap from the top of the stairs.. that tiny black dot youll see is where youll be descending to.. its fair to say theres a good few steps! luckily for your legs you get a miners lift on the way back up. 😂 There are some really nice bars in the Square to sit out at night for a few drinks under the patio heaters.

A tip though make sure when crossing the road you use the zebra crossings and only when its on green. We walked into the road on a quiet street to get past some scaffolding blocking the path and were met by a Police car who fined us the equivalent of 20 quid for jaywalking. 😂 They were parked on the otherside of it and got about 3 other people while we were being issued the fine so clearly a planned operation. Sneaky cvnts

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

To be fair I've always though Jerusalem would be fascinating to visit and have never got round to it. Might have to consider that!

Assuimg you’ve had your own jab ..... no idea if some of these countries will insist that you’ve had two jabs or if one will do ....

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Assuimg you’ve had your own jab ..... no idea if some of these countries will insist that you’ve had two jabs or if one will do ....

I think it's safe to say I'll be one of the last on the list to get one. However it looks likely to me that everyone should get vaccinated in the coming months. I wouldn't book anything until it is more certain anyway but if it's only 'safe' countries that we can travel to Israel definitely would interest me the most. 

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd have thought florida is nailed on to be open for business 

The US is a weird one. It's dependent more on if the US govt lets us travel there more than if the UK govt lets us. I mean as far a I'm aware the whole of Europe is subject to a travel ban still on their side of things. But honestly the kid in me has always wanted to go to Universal Studios so...

On 02/03/2021 at 13:15, STEVIE B said:

Kazimierz is a nice part of Krakow. It's the Jewish quarter, 10 mins walk from the main square. Not as busy as the main part but has lots to see, very old buildings, cafes. Hevré is a nice cool bar, still has decor dating back 100 years. 

I went to Krakow for a long weekend with my wife…. We had plans to visit salt mines and camps…. Didn’t manage the former as we didn’t get round to booking tickets and didn’t attempt the latter as I didn’t feel I wanted to face it…

I found the square near Kazimerez poignant enough…. It’s where the Jews were shipped off to the camps…. Beautifully done and memorialised and gave you a clear feeling of connection with the past…. 

it’s a lovely area and we spent a memorable evening getting hammered with a younger Polish couple in a bar with a load of sewing machine tables…. Really memorable 

More broadly Krakow is wonderful 

Great people

stunning atmosphere and architecture

Pretty awful food!

would love to go back… 

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This should not be allowed until everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, it is discriminatory. Just because Israel, the UK has a good vaccination programme does not mean they should have an advantage over other people/countries. The same goes for the over 60s having an advantage over younger people. Fully understand that one day this might be implemented when everyone has an equal opportunity to get the vaccination but until that point, it breeds inequality.

Papers today will detail how the government don’t want people to go countries such as Cyprus and Greece without a valid reason; holiday is not a good enough one. Only countries with significant numbers of vaccinated population will be allowed for holidays 

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why would you want to prevent people from travelling if they are able to? Much of this has not been fair, least of all on the travel, tourism and hospitality industries. Why would we punish these people and threaten their livelihoods further if we can alleviate it even if only slightly?

Government wants the holiday boom to be focused on British economy I suspect as well as legitimate concerns over variants. It’s going to absolute smash the tourism industry 

7 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

As others have said Salt Mine and Schlinders factory are good. Make sure on the way into the Salt Mine you have a look down the gap from the top of the stairs.. that tiny black dot youll see is where youll be descending to.. its fair to say theres a good few steps! luckily for your legs you get a miners lift on the way back up. 😂 There are some really nice bars in the Square to sit out at night for a few drinks under the patio heaters.

A tip though make sure when crossing the road you use the zebra crossings and only when its on green. We walked into the road on a quiet street to get past some scaffolding blocking the path and were met by a Police car who fined us the equivalent of 20 quid for jaywalking. 😂 They were parked on the otherside of it and got about 3 other people while we were being issued the fine so clearly a planned operation. Sneaky cvnts

I went schindlers factory and although its an amazing museum and a good insight into the war, I felt it wasn't what I was expecting and was a little disappointed as it was all about the the war and ghetto and not about the factory. Get to auschwitz in the morning and the salt mines in the afternoon, everyone who has said that is bang on 

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Papers today will detail how the government don’t want people to go countries such as Cyprus and Greece without a valid reason; holiday is not a good enough one. Only countries with significant numbers of vaccinated population will be allowed for holidays 

I don’t see why it matters if the country your going to has low vaccination numbers. Surely as long as the person travelling has been vaccinated it doesn’t matter ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

I don’t see why it matters if the country your going to has low vaccination numbers. Surely as long as the person travelling has been vaccinated it doesn’t matter ?

I’m not trying to justify it myself. I am just relaying the decisions made by the Government.  

There’s ways and means that the virus can still exist/spread which I assume they want to avoid. That’s me assuming 

• Like 1