Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

I know it’s a long way away but I would be careful about making plans that include crossing multiple borders. Can imagine in some places that will still be messy for a while.

Yeah any plans we do make we will try and ensure there's no charge for us to either cancel or re-book for other dates, whether that includes flights and hotels.

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Looking to book honeymoon for Dec/Jan in Caribbean. Hoping to get Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados included in a package.

Want a mix of relaxing (mainly this) and things to explore/sightsee/touristy stuff.

Already got an eye on doing one of the rum tours (Appleton Estate or Mount Gay distilleries). There's a fish-fry event (like a popular massive barbecue/fresh fish grill in Barbados) to do, Turtle Beach area we've seen, too. Hidden coves in Antigua as well.

If anyone has any other recommendations for the above islands, please say :D 

Went Jamaica in 2019 and absolutely loved it. Appleton estate deffo worth a visit aswell as climbing the Dunns River falls, Rics Cafe, Pelican bar (Bar built out on stilts in the middle of the ocean) and the 7 mile beach. Make sure you eat your fair share of jerk chicken, ‘rice n peas’ and Jamaican patties aswell, absolutely lovely stuff 👌🏻. Bob Marley shots worth a try but are absolutley lethal! Also plenty of people always happy to sell you some of their finest home grown to help you relax if thats what youre into. 😉 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Looking to book honeymoon for Dec/Jan in Caribbean. Hoping to get Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados included in a package.

Want a mix of relaxing (mainly this) and things to explore/sightsee/touristy stuff.

Already got an eye on doing one of the rum tours (Appleton Estate or Mount Gay distilleries). There's a fish-fry event (like a popular massive barbecue/fresh fish grill in Barbados) to do, Turtle Beach area we've seen, too. Hidden coves in Antigua as well.

Went Barbados a couple of years ago we did the Mount gay rum tour ( would recommend that ) and the oystins fish fry, there’s loads of places to eat at so do some research. We went to one called chillin and grilling was really good food.

id recommend doing a tour of the island as well.

Was supposed to be going Antigua last April but obviously got cancelled 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

I went to Barbados 20 years ago, loved it. Would recommend visiting the local Rum Shacks.

These are dotted all over the island. They are basic bars, obviously serving local rum. Very cheap & a great way to meet the local characters. Great fun.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Only going for 2 nights, surprisingly the accommodation doesn’t look too expensive.

The flights and accommodation are cheap. It's the food and drink that are expensive. About £10 a pint and £20 for fish and chips.  

19 hours ago, isaidno said:

Finally got my flight refund from Ryanair, only taken 10 months :mad:

Really? They were pretty good with me tbh, particularly as the refund was a mix of voucher,  cash and an accidentally double booked flight

I was expecting months of hassle. But a couple of web chat function convos and it was sorted. All monies back inside 3 months

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Really? They were pretty good with me tbh, particularly as the refund was a mix of voucher,  cash and an accidentally double booked flight

I was expecting months of hassle. But a couple of web chat function convos and it was sorted. All monies back inside 3 months

We booked the holiday with love holidays.  They refunded the hotel straight away. Ryanair had to refund the flights. Only got it back yesterday,  but my brother got his money back quite quickly.

20 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Went Jamaica in 2019 and absolutely loved it. Appleton estate deffo worth a visit aswell as climbing the Dunns River falls, Rics Cafe, Pelican bar (Bar built out on stilts in the middle of the ocean) and the 7 mile beach. Make sure you eat your fair share of jerk chicken, ‘rice n peas’ and Jamaican patties aswell, absolutely lovely stuff 👌🏻. Bob Marley shots worth a try but are absolutley lethal! Also plenty of people always happy to sell you some of their finest home grown to help you relax if thats what youre into. 😉 

Would you recommend Jamaica for a family holiday?  2 daughters aged 16 and 18? I have heard that some areas can be a bit ‘dodgy’.

Edited by Big Dave

On 21/02/2021 at 18:30, Big Dave said:

Would you recommend Jamaica for a family holiday?  2 daughters aged 16 and 18? I have heard that some areas can be a bit ‘dodgy’.

Yes 100 percent if youre going on a package holiday? The hotels are well guarded and you cant go out the complex at night so you are perfectly safe. Plus the only really dodgy area is Kingston and thats well away from the touristy areas youd be staying of Negril, Montego Bay and Ochos Rios so there is nothing to worry about 👍🏻

5 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Yes 100 percent if youre going on a package holiday? The hotels are well guarded and you cant go out the complex at night so you are perfectly safe. Plus the only really dodgy area is Kingston and thats well away from the touristy areas youd be staying of Negril, Montego Bay and Ochos Rios so there is nothing to worry about 👍🏻

Thanks for that. 
We don’t tend to book package holidays - we always book and travel independently.

Not sure I like the sound of being restricted to complexes - usually like to go to a local town, have a wander around and soak up the atmosphere and then eat in one of the local restaurants. 
Will do a bit more research!

On 21/02/2021 at 13:30, Big Dave said:

Like @South Shire Fox said, everything is pretty safe and tourist friendly. I went there with my wife for our honeymoon, and the "worst" thing that happened was people trying to sell us weed, "hand made" trinkets, etc. 

It's really an incredible place, and very cheap comparatively. A week all inclusive was far cheaper than going to Disney (in Orlando). 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 21:43, StanSP said:

I spent quite a few years in the Caribbean - Any of the above islands are a good shout!

St Lucia is another one to add to the list - a bit quieter, but very elegant with some great restaurants.

Barbados was my base for a while - I usually used to stay in St Lawrence Gap as it was pretty lively, nice beach and close to a lot of the other good parts of the island that I enjoyed. It's about a 5 minute cab ride from Oistins (for your Friday night fish party!) and about a 10 minute cab ride from The Boatyard, which was the main hangout at the time. 

There's still peace and quiet to be found in Barbados, so for me it was the best of both worlds     

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 21:43, StanSP said:

Rockley Beach near Oistins is a nice mix of relaxing and busy, down the road from the above mentioned Gap. Also a great beach for bodysurfing as I recall. Bubba's sports bar is over the road too if you want somewhere to watch a Leicester game or whatever cricket's on.

Some mates did the Mount Gay tour and enjoyed it but I'd also recommend a trip to the Foursquare Distillery, where you can get a talk on rum and sample platter for a ridiculously low price.

I'd offer some more advice but it's 10 years since I was there (on a cricket tour) and from what I understand the bars and restaurants can change their names/ownership quite frequently so mightn't be much point. Chefette is good for a cheap meal - apparently McDonald's don't bother to set up on the island because of them! Also make sure you use the ZR taxi buses to get along the coast road - your life can feel under threat at times but they're quite an experience!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thanks to everyone who replied! 

Was going to ask what the best way to get around is - might not use those ZR taxi buses all the time @Voll Blaulol

It's definitely the cheapest and most efficient. At peak times you can end up with locals sitting on your lap though! Also, hope you like loud reggae music...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Thanks for that. 
We don’t tend to book package holidays - we always book and travel independently.

Not sure I like the sound of being restricted to complexes - usually like to go to a local town, have a wander around and soak up the atmosphere and then eat in one of the local restaurants. 
Will do a bit more research!

Yeah i can only speak from my experience so couldnt say what itd be like going independently or whether itd be safe to wander. We went with Tui to the ‘Royalton Negril’ and it was amazing. The hotels are big with loads of different varieties of restaurants, bars with all branded alcohol and activities. With Tui they had a large selection of excursions to do in the day aswell including swimming with dolphins and climbing waterfalls so youd never get bored. Deffo recommend.  

• Like 1

To be honest lads you can go anywhere in Jamaica it's not that unsafe. My mom is half jamaican and i've been multiple times. Kingston is only really dodgy at night if and thats if you stop at the traffic lights lol... Everywhere else is chilling. The tourist resorts are all safe to wander around at night. Although I was mainly down in St Elizabeth area in the villages so it is a lot more rural

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's definitely the cheapest and most efficient. At peak times you can end up with locals sitting on your lap though! Also, hope you like loud reggae music...

If I belt out that Levi Roots song will they accept us? 

£38 for a return flight to Morocco mid September, Arrive in Marrakesh. Up to Casablanca then flying home from Rabat. Thinking 6 days is enough to get an idea of what Morocco is all about. Also read online their domestic league starts mid September so hoping my trip coincides with a Botola match. 

On 23/02/2021 at 15:22, StanSP said:

Thanks to everyone who replied! 

Was going to ask what the best way to get around is - might not use those ZR taxi buses all the time @Voll Blaulol

Remember being in Thialand come out of airport and was surrounded by aload of taxi drivers, ended up getting in one and we was meant to be going to a tourist area anyway halfway through the journey smoke starts coming through the air vent in the car thought he was trying to gas me n the missus lol he then dropped us of in a town with no tourists in and full of trampy locals it was not good!

3 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Looking at booking a UK based honeymoon for June, has anyone got any recommendations? Anywhere other than Cornwall

Depending on how long you go for and the budget, we went for a mini-moon package (crap term I know) at The Gilpin near Bowness on Windermere in the Lake District for 3 nights from Monday to Thursday after we got married. Absolutely loved it, we admittedly splashed on ourselves given the one off ocassion.