Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 24/09/2016 at 23:08, pSinatra said:

One of things I found best for getting to have a good look round is hiring a boat for a few hours & getting lost on the canals.  Probably in the region of 80-90 Euros for a few hours & seats about 6, so the more of you there are the cheaper it is.  I thought it sounded a bit shit as well when someone suggested it, but I would recommend it.  There's loads of places that do it.

A good bar is 'In De Wildeman'.  We asked the concierge last year to suggest somewhere & he pointed us there.  Not far from Dam Square, hundreds of draught/craft beers to choose from & not majorly expensive.  It was heaving when we went, but very good.

In De Wildeman

Where did you watch the match?

42 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Where did you watch the match?

Got back half hour ago. 

Watched it at the Three Sisters pub on Rembrandtplein.

For anyone in Amsterdam on a Champions League night, they showed every match going.  There was about 25 screens with about half showing Dortmund v Madrid, but there was a couple of screens showing Leicester v Porto.  The place was packed out but I was the only one cheering when Slimani scored.

• Like 1

Really appreciate your effort here MC.Always good to know from people who have lived/ been.

yes it is Mount Nelson for tea you will be pleased to know.We might need to stay a month with that list,but we will have 3/4 busy days im Sure.Then we are off on safari and then Mauritius.Should be good( if you like airport lounges)

Will look at those restaurants In more detail in the next few days.Many thanks.

Did you have fun Cambridge?!

I'd like to plan a short tour of the Far East for myself and my still recuperating wife - maybe a month or six weeks. All ideas/advice/suggestions welcomed. Nothing pre-conceived as yet, just wanting to weigh-up possibilities with the help of anyone who's been there and done it.       

3 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Anyone been Fuerteventura and know of any sports bars that have multiple screens or any City pubs? Missing Copenhagen home due to family holiday, don't care where on the island I will find a way there and back.

I last went quite a few years ago but there were plenty of sports bars in Corralejo. You'll have no problem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Did you have fun Cambridge?!

Not going until the 16/10 MC,but I have got a note of the restaurants and coffee shops you sent me thanks.

looking forward to the safari too.Never been before and I can imagine it's an amazing experience.

Edited by cambridgefox

On 28/09/2016 at 11:02, Turtles Head said:

Couldn't find your post mate 

Ok so NYC.....

Do the Rockerfella instead of Empire State. Better view of Central Park and you can see the Empire State from RF.

We went on a sunset boat tour, had a few drinks etc on there which was really good and would definitely recommend. Started from Chelsea Pier and turned around just after Brooklyn Bridge.

We went on a food tour of Nolito and Little Italy which was really really good,  hear loads of stories about Mafia etc and film stars that lived/ grew up around there. The street art round there is incredible as well.

Chelsea Market it great, when you do that explore Greenwich as well which is a really nice area. Went in a Michelin starred gastropub called The Spotted Pig, very nice and not expensive at all (25 a head for a massive lunch).

Do Times Square once and then you will probably avoid it like the plague, whatever you do don't eat there.

Go to Katz Deli and have a Pastrami sandwich, if you do don't eat all day. If I think of anything more I will post.

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ok so NYC.....

Do the Rockerfella instead of Empire State. Better view of Central Park and you can see the Empire State from RF.

We went on a sunset boat tour, had a few drinks etc on there which was really good and would definitely recommend. Started from Chelsea Pier and turned around just after Brooklyn Bridge.

We went on a food tour of Nolito and Little Italy which was really really good,  hear loads of stories about Mafia etc and film stars that lived/ grew up around there. The street art round there is incredible as well.

Chelsea Market it great, when you do that explore Greenwich as well which is a really nice area. Went in a Michelin starred gastropub called The Spotted Pig, very nice and not expensive at all (25 a head for a massive lunch).

Do Times Square once and then you will probably avoid it like the plague, whatever you do don't eat there.

Go to Katz Deli and have a Pastrami sandwich, if you do don't eat all day. If I think of anything more I will post.

That's quality cheers mate. How did you get from airport to where you were staying? Looked at train/subway...half an hour, 2 changes. 10pm Friday night as well, tempted just to grab a taxi 

2 hours ago, Turtles Head said:

That's quality cheers mate. How did you get from airport to where you were staying? Looked at train/subway...half an hour, 2 changes. 10pm Friday night as well, tempted just to grab a taxi 

Get a cab, think it's a set rate but I can't remember how much.

edit, remembered you said you are staying in Brooklyn so this will be different.

Edited by Costock_Fox

3 hours ago, Turtles Head said:

There's plenty of 'transfer' services - the traffic makes it just as much of a pain as the subway but at that time you should be okay. 

A couple of other mentions

- The HighLine right near Chelsea Market is a great way to spend a morning. 

- The Museum of Moving Image is great fun but in Queens. If you can try to join up with a trip to the baseball (Mets - look likely to play in the wildcard playoff game). 

I did a lot more than most people do in NYC. Manhattan isn't the be and all (though as Costock says Greenwich is beautiful and worth spending a night around - decent bars and great good also did Spotted Pig). I love Brooklyn personally - Williamsburg in particular but it's to a taste not for everyone - Brooklyn Brewery is great fun if you like your beer. In fact Williamsburg is great for beer full stop. 

Other suggestions - Coney Island is an experience and the weather probably wont be good enough for the Rockaways though. 

Times Square - yep, see it once and don't bother. I stayed next to it and I regret that decision. The Rock is better than Empire State. Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island far better than I imagined. 

Additionally, if jet lag plays games with you. Walk around the city in the early morning. Was one of the best things I did. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There's plenty of 'transfer' services - the traffic makes it just as much of a pain as the subway but at that time you should be okay. 

A couple of other mentions

- The HighLine right near Chelsea Market is a great way to spend a morning. 

- The Museum of Moving Image is great fun but in Queens. If you can try to join up with a trip to the baseball. 

I did tons more than most people do in NYC. Manhattan isn't the be and all (though as Costock says Greenwich is beautiful and worth spending a night around - decent bars and great good also did Spotted Pig). I love Brooklyn personally - Williamsburg in particular but it's to a taste not for everyone - Brooklyn Brewery is great fun if you like your beer. 

Yeah Highline is decent as well, Meant to put that on there.

Haven't really seen much of Brooklyn on either visit so cant really comment on anything other than DUMBO but that was nice enough. Ate in the River Café a couple of times, expensive and they could treat people better but the steak and Brooklyn bridge cake is incredible.

This is my first one and was recommended to me.Judging by the reviews I think I've hit the jackpot.

http://www.marataba.co.za/

Looks great. In that area we've only done Aquila. Which is also nice.

They are game reserves, but that is expected in that area. The obvious thing being the animals are somewhat enclosed. But it still is a great opportunity to see animals.

Not to be a downer! I always want to make sure expectations are set. And they make it a lot of fun.
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2016 at 23:01, Turtles Head said:

Brilliant, cheers both. We're staying in Prospect Heights, plan to spend a lot of time in Brooklyn/Williamsburg. We're both really into our food & beer so expecting to pile it on. We're planning on Times Square at night as our one visit. Looking at baseball or basketball, can't stand NFL. 

Mets have made the wild card playoff at home on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning - fingers crossed they get into the conference playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody booked a holiday with Virgin holidays recently? We've gone to Orlando the last two years with Thomas Cook but the planes are old and shabby and the service is poor. I know Virgin are a bit more expensive, but I wonder if it's worth paying a little more and booking with them for next summer?

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Has anybody booked a holiday with Virgin holidays recently? We've gone to Orlando the last two years with Thomas Cook but the planes are old and shabby and the service is poor. I know Virgin are a bit more expensive, but I wonder if it's worth paying a little more and booking with them for next summer?

I've not used Virgin for 5 years since I went Las Vegas. But out of all the airlines I've flew with over the years they are in my opinion the best. 

I booked through Thomas Cook last year to go Las Vegas and I agree with you about the poor service. The plane was fairly new but I was annoyed about having to pay for the tv & movies also apart from meals I had to pay for my drinks. 

I'd definitely pay the extra and use Virgin, service was great, plenty of leg room, free bar & snacks which they kept coming round & offering us. 

Have you looked into using premium economy with TC? I think it's about £100/150pp more but it could be a better saving than Virgin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I've not used Virgin for 5 years since I went Las Vegas. But out of all the airlines I've flew with over the years they are in my opinion the best. 

I booked through Thomas Cook last year to go Las Vegas and I agree with you about the poor service. The plane was fairly new but I was annoyed about having to pay for the tv & movies also apart from meals I had to pay for my drinks. 

I'd definitely pay the extra and use Virgin, service was great, plenty of leg room, free bar & snacks which they kept coming round & offering us. 

Have you looked into using premium economy with TC? I think it's about £100/150pp more but it could be a better saving than Virgin.

Thanks mate. I took the plunge today and booked next summers holiday with Virgin. Probably £100 per person more than TC overall, but I'm blown away by how good Virgin service is so far. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we'll also get free use of their new 'V room' lounge at Gatwick with kids area/free food/drink etc. Can't wait to go Orlando again and looking forward to going with Virgin this time. Think I could end up being a raving fan of theirs :thumbup:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Thanks mate. I took the plunge today and booked next summers holiday with Virgin. Probably £100 per person more than TC overall, but I'm blown away by how good Virgin service is so far. Nothing was too much trouble for them and we'll also get free use of their new 'V room' lounge at Gatwick with kids area/free food/drink etc. Can't wait to go Orlando again and looking forward to going with Virgin this time. Think I could end up being a raving fan of theirs :thumbup:

My in-laws booked South Africa through virgin last year and they were really impressed with the service. 

Hope you enjoy, a nice relaxing flight starts the holiday off nicely. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I've flown to America half a dozen times in the last 10 years.  Only ever with British Airways or Virgin.  It seems to be a bit of a lottery, but at their poorest Virgin are still a load better than British Airways at their best.

Flew from Heathrow to Atlanta with Virgin in June.  It was pretty crap to be honest. Plane was shabby, stewardesses were poor (to look at), earphone socket not working.  But still better than British Airways.

Then flew from Atlanta to Fort Myers in Florida with Delta.  What a shitbucket that was

• Like 1