Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, pSinatra said:

Off to Amsterdam Monday to Thursday.  The missus is paying, as it's my birthday.  I appreciate the sentiment & the outlay, but what about Champions League?

Anyone know any decent bars/coffeeshops likely to be showing the match?  A sports bar maybe, showing a selection of games?

I've watched games at Plan B on Overtoom, http://planbovertoom.nl/2015/english/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Splendid & it's just aorund the corner from the hotel.

Got a little time before the match to have a reccy, but will try that place first. Thanks

Which hotel? I usually stay at the Conscious Vondelpark, it's just up the road and quite nice, and you can't go too wrong in Amsterdam.

4 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Which hotel? I usually stay at the Conscious Vondelpark, it's just up the road and quite nice, and you can't go too wrong in Amsterdam.

I've lost count of the times I've been to Amsterdam, must be on about number 12.  I love the place & will deffo be buying an apartment there when I eventually win the lottery.  Stayed at the Krasnapolsky on Dam Square last year.  Perfect.

This year staying at another hotel in the same chain, the NH Museum Quarter hotel.  Not strictly around the corner but within 5 mins walk of where you mentioned.

Googled the Conscious.  Looks decent & with your recommendation, will probably try that next year :thumbup:

19 hours ago, pSinatra said:

I've lost count of the times I've been to Amsterdam, must be on about number 12.  I love the place & will deffo be buying an apartment there when I eventually win the lottery.  Stayed at the Krasnapolsky on Dam Square last year.  Perfect.

This year staying at another hotel in the same chain, the NH Museum Quarter hotel.  Not strictly around the corner but within 5 mins walk of where you mentioned.

Googled the Conscious.  Looks decent & with your recommendation, will probably try that next year :thumbup:

No way, if you're staying at the NH hotels the Conscious will be a big come down!!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 11:02, Ollie93 said:

Any good ideas of where to go for New Years around Europe? Thinking of taking the missus away for her birthday which is early January. Relatively cheap (ish) would help?

After 2nd Jan ,Europe  can be really cheap. Czech republic has many nice areas, cultural and country-spa hotels .Obviously Prague.

Germany Black Forest, again with Hotels /B +Bs doing bargains. Over the border into France in the Elsass.Colmar, Strassbourg.

The Mosel and Rhein, Mosel runs into the Rhein, so one could

merge the trip, either self-drive or short bus / boat trips

As mentioned if you are not looking to do New year itself, then savings are to be made up and down the financial scale.

How many days are you wanting to do...??

Edited by fuchsntf

22 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

After 2nd Jan ,Europe  can be really cheap. Czech republic has many nice areas, cultural and country-spa hotels .Obviously Prague.

Germany Black Forest, again with Hotels /B +Bs doing bargains. Over the border into France in the Elsass.Colmar, Strassbourg.

The Mosel and Rhein, Mosel runs into the Rhein, so one could

merge the trip, either self-drive or short bus / boat trips

As mentioned if you are not looking to do New year itself, then savings are to be made up and down the financial scale.

How many days are you wanting to do...??

Well I think now due to work commitments I'm thinking of going away over new year. This obviously throws the prices up a bit which i can deal with, Flights to Stockholm/Prague are relatively cheap its just accomodation that becomes expensive! Looking at around 5-6 days though.

20 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Well I think now due to work commitments I'm thinking of going away over new year. This obviously throws the prices up a bit which i can deal with, Flights to Stockholm/Prague are relatively cheap its just accomodation that becomes expensive! Looking at around 5-6 days though.

Prague then maybe the best bet...Price wise.

But dont hang around New year gets booked up pretty early.

If looking at Prague then

#hotels do inclusive arrangements for New years eve..including trips

# Book a Hotel, then look for the News eve party in Restaurants or on boats

# Book a pension, then do one of the above..

**  Restaurants and boats with New year Eve parties, start looking NOW!!

New years eve parties in Prague are a real mixed bunch, for all and mixed ages.

The Streets are full with people drinking in groups or pub/bisto crawling  atmosphere Magic.

12 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Prague then maybe the best bet...Price wise.

But dont hang around New year gets booked up pretty early.

If looking at Prague then

#hotels do inclusive arrangements for New years eve..including trips

# Book a Hotel, then look for the News eve party in Restaurants or on boats

# Book a pension, then do one of the above..

**  Restaurants and boats with New year Eve parties, start looking NOW!!

New years eve parties in Prague are a real mixed bunch, for all and mixed ages.

The Streets are full with people drinking in groups or pub/bisto crawling  atmosphere Magic.

Cheers mate! Can i ask what a pension is haha? Would you have any suggestions on places to stay/particular parties/things to do? Don't really fancy the nightclub scene for new years, shed probably prefer a swankier do, so boat parties sound good! 

8 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Cheers mate! Can i ask what a pension is haha? Would you have any suggestions on places to stay/particular parties/things to do? Don't really fancy the nightclub scene for new years, shed probably prefer a swankier do, so boat parties sound good! 

Sorry...Guest houses Or B n Bs.

Restaurants do their own parties with music, so you book the table for whole night/morning

Boats, depends some finish early others untilvearly hrs of the morning.

I advise you to do the searching the easiest way for yourself...ask travel buro, or better still

do the hardwork yourself and go online , for Accommodation and Restaurants

and to kickstart your search try...www.pragueexperience.com. Or www.praguetoursdirect.com

These 2 sites will give you an insite with lists with pictures And list  of hotels and restaurants.

Www.prague-boats.cz.....Www.prague-river-cruises.cz.  New yrs eve Boat  parties from ca 100 euro pperson..

Also contact the prague tourist office, they have id e as on good offers for this period.

I could give you a couple of suggestions, but it depends on your budget ..

Mlynec restaurant direct on the river...

Novometsky restaurant +micro brewery, I liked this one , just around the corner ton Wenceslas square.not c sure if it has music

For new year.If itcdoes most likely traditional..

Again..spend intensive time looking, then go and book.ASAP Restaurants might need a deposit..

Good luck..

18 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry...Guest houses Or B n Bs.

Restaurants do their own parties with music, so you book the table for whole night/morning

Boats, depends some finish early others untilvearly hrs of the morning.

I advise you to do the searching the easiest way for yourself...ask travel buro, or better still

do the hardwork yourself and go online , for Accommodation and Restaurants

and to kickstart your search try...www.pragueexperience.com. Or www.praguetoursdirect.com

These 2 sites will give you an insite with lists with pictures And list  of hotels and restaurants.

Www.prague-boats.cz.....Www.prague-river-cruises.cz.  New yrs eve Boat  parties from ca 100 euro pperson..

Also contact the prague tourist office, they have id e as on good offers for this period.

I could give you a couple of suggestions, but it depends on your budget ..

Mlynec restaurant direct on the river...

Novometsky restaurant +micro brewery, I liked this one , just around the corner ton Wenceslas square.not c sure if it has music

For new year.If itcdoes most likely traditional..

Again..spend intensive time looking, then go and book.ASAP Restaurants might need a deposit..

Good luck..

Thank you!

On 9/22/2016 at 09:23, Merging Cultures said:

I've watched games at Plan B on Overtoom, http://planbovertoom.nl/2015/english/

On 9/22/2016 at 09:37, pSinatra said:

Splendid & it's just aorund the corner from the hotel.

Got a little time before the match to have a reccy, but will try that place first. Thanks

I'm also going to Amsterdam in a few weeks, this will only be my 2nd time though but I love the place. Either of you got any suggestions for places to eat/things to do that might not be as well known (less mainstream/commercial)?

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 11:56, Webbo said:

I'm  sitting  outside a cafe in Armacoa de pera  drinking coffee, soaking up the sun. Its quite a big resort but a bit dull, a bit dearer than Albufeira  as well.

Just finished an excellent pizza.

They all laughed at me in the pub today when i shouted out when Gray scored.

10 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I'm also going to Amsterdam in a few weeks, this will only be my 2nd time though but I love the place. Either of you got any suggestions for places to eat/things to do that might not be as well known (less mainstream/commercial)?

One of things I found best for getting to have a good look round is hiring a boat for a few hours & getting lost on the canals.  Probably in the region of 80-90 Euros for a few hours & seats about 6, so the more of you there are the cheaper it is.  I thought it sounded a bit shit as well when someone suggested it, but I would recommend it.  There's loads of places that do it.

A good bar is 'In De Wildeman'.  We asked the concierge last year to suggest somewhere & he pointed us there.  Not far from Dam Square, hundreds of draught/craft beers to choose from & not majorly expensive.  It was heaving when we went, but very good.

In De Wildeman

Anyone done any of the Christmas markets around Europe? Thinking of doing a 3 night stay somewhere with the girlfriend just before Christmas. Websites recommend the usual places like Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague etc. I quite liked the look of Vienna but at that time of year I think it's gonna be slightly out of my price range, Cologne has taken my fancy and wondering if anyone has visited or has any other recommendations?

19 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Anyone done any of the Christmas markets around Europe? Thinking of doing a 3 night stay somewhere with the girlfriend just before Christmas. Websites recommend the usual places like Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague etc. I quite liked the look of Vienna but at that time of year I think it's gonna be slightly out of my price range, Cologne has taken my fancy and wondering if anyone has visited or has any other recommendations?

Smaller central European towns like Innsbruck and Bolzano are really nice. Not too many tourists around. There's a direct flight to Innsbruck I think. Also a bit further east Debrecen and Timisoara always look nice around Christmas. 

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Smaller central European towns like Innsbruck and Bolzano are really nice. Not too many tourists around. There's a direct flight to Innsbruck I think. Also a bit further east Debrecen and Timisoara always look nice around Christmas. 

Thank you very much I will take a look at them!

5 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

did Berlin last year. Worth looking at Dusseldorf as you can fly there from EMA with Euro wings

On 24/09/2016 at 00:22, Turtles Head said:

14 nights in NYC approaching.

Any suggestions out of the ordinary? Sights, day trips, food, drinks...

Nice, think I posted a detailed report of what I did in NYC a few pages back. Where abouts are you staying?