Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

18 minutes ago, FIF said:

Sorry I missed the point then but the reinforcement of your vegas holiday without the smiley fooled me.

Ah I meant I was buzzing to go to Vegas, not that he was staying with his grandparents. Gonna miss him like crazy for the 5 nights we're there

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Love the idea of a cruise through exotic places. I'm not the type of person who needs more than 2 or 3 days in a city BUT I'd hate to go on a cruise. Too many people in a small area abhor the idea.

Hope it goes well for you though.

Yep can understand your thinking, ive never been one for cruising, prefer to be in control and decide where to go, but this looks like good value and a chace to see a few places we wouldnt normally bother with.

We shall see if we survive it :)

The Mrs is pregnant so taking a UK based summer holiday for the first time in eons.

8 days in Cornwall spent between Bedruthan, St Ives and Fowey in mid September. Any restaurant recommendations more than welcome, especially for St Ives..

Also got a final "lads" trip booked in at start of September. 1 night in Helsinki, then boat over to Tallinn for 2 nights. 

Edited by martyn

Long Way Home officially booked.

Namyangju, Korea to Leicester by ferry and train with hotels sorted for a night in Vladivostok, a night by Lake Baikal and two nights in Moscow, all over the course of two weeks. Set out on September 4th. PUMPED.

Edit: Shit, now I look like an idiot because I posted nearly the same thing a month ago on here saying it was going to be October back when it was all still a bit up in the air. Well, it's finally all sorted now anyway.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Long Way Home officially booked.

Namyangju, Korea to Leicester by ferry and train with hotels sorted for a night in Vladivostok, a night by Lake Baikal and two nights in Moscow, all over the course of two weeks. Set out on September 4th. PUMPED.

Edit: Shit, now I look like an idiot because I posted nearly the same thing a month ago on here saying it was going to be October back when it was all still a bit up in the air. Well, it's finally all sorted now anyway.

How are you getting from Moscow to London? There's a Moscow - Paris train, stops at Brest, Minsk, Warsaw, Berlin. I think there's also a St Petersburgh to Vienna one. Gets a bit expensive though.

51 minutes ago, bovril said:

How are you getting from Moscow to London? There's a Moscow - Paris train, stops at Brest, Minsk, Warsaw, Berlin. I think there's also a St Petersburgh to Vienna one. Gets a bit expensive though.

I've stopped at Breast many times - delightful place.

7 hours ago, bovril said:

Moscow-Paris followed by Eurostar to London. It's all actually been a bit cheaper than I thought it might be.

Just booked three nights in Barca in October. Any tips?

Planning on learning a few phrases before we go but should I go for Spanish or Catalan? Don't want people looking at me like scum in the way Welsh speaking Welsh people do just for cracking out the old "ablo Espanol".

45 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Planning on learning a few phrases before we go but should I go for Spanish or Catalan? Don't want people looking at me like scum in the way Welsh speaking Welsh people do just for cracking out the old "ablo Espanol".

Barcelona is a great city. I've been twice and the first time we bought one of them hop on hop off bus tickets which was decent value considering some of the attractions were far apart from what I remember.

Visit the three Gaudi's, Park Guell being the best in my opinion but they are all great.

Obviosly the Nou Camp and Sagrada Familia are well worth a visit.

Picassos museum is good as well other than that I have a few decent restaurants I can recommend if I remember the names but they were pretty expensive.

As for the language, they speak Catalan but if I was you I would learn a bit of Spanish as I think most people speak that.

Edited by Costock_Fox

21 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

There's a great little street for food in an area called Poble Sec, it's called Calle Blai

Loads of little bars selling Pintoxs for €1 each. These are breads with loads of different toppings on them. The fillings are attached with cocktail sticks and when you pay they just count your sticks, so easy.

Pretty much a local crowd there but it's a laugh and makes a change from having a meal out. 

Edited by The soup nazi

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a holiday late December, just before Christmas for me and the Mrs.

Was either looking at Lanzarote as it is still supposed to be warm at that time. But open to other ideas. Any suggestions? Weather isn't an option, more a question of a cheap little getaway.

3 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Looking for a holiday late December, just before Christmas for me and the Mrs.

Was either looking at Lanzarote as it is still supposed to be warm at that time. But open to other ideas. Any suggestions? Weather isn't an option, more a question of a cheap little getaway.

Syria will be cheap.

7 minutes ago, The Railway Man said:

Off to Skiathos next week, to say I can't wait is an understatement.

Nice. If you're there for a week you could get a boat to Skopelos. Probably my favourite Greek island, much calmer and has some really beautiful parts. Takes about 30 minutes if you're going from Skiathos Town to Glossa. I wanted to go this year but my partner convinced me the Outer Hebrides would be fun....

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Nice. If you're there for a week you could get a boat to Skopelos. Probably my favourite Greek island, much calmer and has some really beautiful parts. Takes about 30 minutes if you're going from Skiathos Town to Glossa. I wanted to go this year but my partner convinced me the Outer Hebrides would be fun....

Cheers Bovril I will take a look at that enjoy doing days out.

From Skiathos you can sail to Glossa (30 mins) or Skopelos Town (1 hr). Glossa is a small and relatively charming town in the north of the island. The north of Skopelos is wilder and has some amazing, out-of-the-way beaches. Difficult to get to though without a car. Skopelos Town is a nice place with a lot of character in its backstreets, and there are regular buses going from there to some nearby beaches.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 12:47, martyn said:

The Mrs is pregnant so taking a UK based summer holiday for the first time in eons.

8 days in Cornwall spent between Bedruthan, St Ives and Fowey in mid September. Any restaurant recommendations more than welcome, especially for St Ives..

Also got a final "lads" trip booked in at start of September. 1 night in Helsinki, then boat over to Tallinn for 2 nights. 

We went to Seagrass restaurant in St Ives last year, I wasn't overly impressed, even though it has good reviews. Ooops I just looked on TripAdvisor and it is closed. Not surprised. That was the only 'quality' restaurant we went to down that way as we had a AirBnB and I did most of the cooking.

Alba and Blackrock look good. Black rock has a superb whine menu. 

On 8/4/2016 at 20:36, Voll Blau said:

Not to focus on food too much (Otherwise @Countryfox will give me a complex) but I did a food tour in Barca and it was excellent. The one we went on showed you all the small restaurants and local delicacies that you might miss out on if you focus on the tourist spots.

6 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Not to focus on food too much (Otherwise @Countryfox will give me a complex) but I did a food tour in Barca and it was excellent. The one we went on showed you all the small restaurants and local delicacies that you might miss out on if you focus on the tourist spots.

I'm saying nothing MC ...    but if the cap fits ...  

(Would have to be a bloody big cap mind !   :)).

• Like 1