Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

55 minutes ago, bovril said:

Fly to Athens then drive down to Peloponnese or hop on a boat to one of the Cyclades.

But it's going to be rather cold and foggy in December, won't it? I always liked the look of Santorini, but I think we'd be too late for a decent beach/sunbathing trip.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

But it's going to be rather cold and foggy in December, won't it? I always liked the look of Santorini, but I think we'd be too late for a decent beach/sunbathing trip.

I was in the Peloponnese last winter (Mani peninsula) and it was really nice. Not warm enough for me to swim, but still sunny and mild. How about Jordan? I have a few friends who've been in the winter and loved it, especially as the beaches tend to be quite empty. Canaries?

29 minutes ago, bovril said:

I was in the Peloponnese last winter (Mani peninsula) and it was really nice. Not warm enough for me to swim, but still sunny and mild. How about Jordan? I have a few friends who've been in the winter and loved it, especially as the beaches tend to be quite empty. Canaries?

Which part? Near the Dead Sea?

Canaries look tempting - La Palma in particular.

15 minutes ago, bovril said:

They had a few days on the Dead Sea and a few days near Aqaba. Beaches near Aqaba looked quite deserted.

But it's a chore to get down there - changing planes twice is not what I'm looking forward to. :D 

Plus, having to respect the Muslim customs could potentially take away some of the easiness we'd like to encounter - unless we're on an enclosed resort.

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

But it's a chore to get down there - changing planes twice is not what I'm looking forward to. :D 

Plus, having to respect the Muslim customs could potentially take away some of the easiness we'd like to encounter - unless we're on an enclosed resort.

Ok, final suggestion - Sicily. West coast is gorgeous. Very Tunisian flavour, fantastic white-sand beaches and atmospheric old towns like Trapani, Marsala, Mazara del Vallo. Lots of ancient history. Easy flight to Palermo.

Edited by bovril

• 2 weeks later...

Booked to go to Dubrovnik for 4 nights at the end of March with BA for the girlfriends Christmas present. She has been wanting to go and I was also interested in going, a nice break at the end of term before exams made sense. Anyone got any tips or suggestions, expect it will be quiet but also been reading that makes it the best time to go.

16 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Booked to go to Dubrovnik for 4 nights at the end of March with BA for the girlfriends Christmas present. She has been wanting to go and I was also interested in going, a nice break at the end of term before exams made sense. Anyone got any tips or suggestions, expect it will be quiet but also been reading that makes it the best time to go.

I'm not sure if Dubrovnick is ever quiet but yeah it'll be far less crowded than usual.
Are you hiring a car? You could spend an afternoon exploring little villages on the coast or in the Herzegovinan hinterland and eat some of the best lamb you've ever tasted. Mljet is a beautiful island nearby that has escaped the attention Hvar has got.

Beer is pretty crap, wine is quite good, but the best is the rakia and other spirits which are best in that region. Dubrovnik is famous for its aniseed grappa. You need to go for the home made stuff not shop-bought.

Split's one of the best cities in Europe but too far away probably for a day trip.

Edited by bovril

On 12/16/2016 at 17:50, KingGTF said:

Hope this helps...

On 6/11/2015 at 19:33, Voll Blau said:

Apart from the cable car, there isn't a lot going on in the centre. A bus ride or walk out to Lapad (Where we were based) and it gets lively again with decent restaurants/bars. The bar at Hotel More (half in a cave, half on decking looking out to sea) there is a must.

On 6/10/2015 at 20:02, Voll Blau said:

If you're looking for a good bar in Dubrovnik old town, try Buza (aka the hole in the wall bar). It's on the seaward side of the wall. Not well signposted but a great venue and fantastic views. Locals should be able to direct you as it's not somewhere found in the tourist guides.

Cheapest place we found in the old town for booze was the Exit Rock Cafe, which is in an alley off the main street, towards the port end of town.

Echo what you say about the locals, never met a bad egg there. Never felt hassled to buy anything and they genuinely seem honoured you choose to visit their area.

Obviously the old town is great, would recommend a walking tour, and the ferry over to Lokrum (nature reserve full of peacocks) is well worth doing.

On 12/16/2016 at 18:03, bovril said:

Beer is pretty crap, wine is quite good, but the best is the rakia and other spirits which are best in that region. Dubrovnik is famous for its aniseed grappa. You need to go for the home made stuff not shop-bought.

Rated Ozujsko. Didn't rate anything else.

On 21/12/2016 at 20:54, RobHawk said:

Mexico, 2 weeks all inclusive at the end of Jan! Can't wait!

Maybe its because i live in canada but i dont know how people can go there for 1 week let alone 2. North americans typically go to the caribbean because its 3 or 4 hours flight and cheap for a week of all you can eat. But after 4 days im bored as ever lol.

Europeans always seem to go for 2 weeks but i chalk it up to a long flight so makes sense.

You really have to get off the resort and see places. Having said all that with the snow we have i could definitely hit mexico right about now.

6 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Maybe its because i live in canada but i dont know how people can go there for 1 week let alone 2. North americans typically go to the caribbean because its 3 or 4 hours flight and cheap for a week of all you can eat. But after 4 days im bored as ever lol.

Europeans always seem to go for 2 weeks but i chalk it up to a long flight so makes sense.

You really have to get off the resort and see places. Having said all that with the snow we have i could definitely hit mexico right about now.

Well, we chose mexico because t was the same price as the canary islands, with better standards of hotels and better weather. Really just need a break in the sun, so don't plan to do much, especially with our 5 month old. I'll ending ready a dozen books to keep me occupied, alog with the food and drink and other activities. 

22 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Well, we chose mexico because t was the same price as the canary islands, with better standards of hotels and better weather. Really just need a break in the sun, so don't plan to do much, especially with our 5 month old. I'll ending ready a dozen books to keep me occupied, alog with the food and drink and other activities. 

Touche. Mexico has decent food much better than cuba.

Whilst under the influence of alchohol a few days back, I casually mentioned to the wife that we should consider going abroad next year (we haven't left the UK for a few years after having kids in both 2012 and 2013). 

She's spent every waking minute researching where to go ever since and is now ready to book somewhere. I'd have been happy with Ingoldmells, that'll teach me to keep my mouth shut. Damn you cheap ALDI lager!

Back from a few days away... interesting to note. (not really but)....

This time last year i was in the uk, it was stupidly warm... 15-17 degrees

This time this year...im still in WA...and the temp is stupidly cold... 16-18  degrees

lol