Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Went to a little Italian in Syston the other night. Allola or something like that. An old pub, now restaurant. 

It was a nice little find, nice little independent with very good staff.

Only 3 tables taken, real shame as it was a Friday and looks like the good folk of Syston aren’t into popping into the local Italian on a Friday night. 

4 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Went to a little Italian in Syston the other night. Allola or something like that. An old pub, now restaurant. 

It was a nice little find, nice little independent with very good staff.

Only 3 tables taken, real shame as it was a Friday and looks like the good folk of Syston aren’t into popping into the local Italian on a Friday night. 

I live in Syston and haven't been. Perhaps will check it out. I take it this is the old Corner House / Bakers Arms?

20 minutes ago, Simi said:

I live in Syston and haven't been. Perhaps will check it out. I take it this is the old Corner House / Bakers Arms?

Not sure, I don’t know Syston. It’s right in the centre on a corner, so I assume maybe once called Corner House. 

The Spotted Duck Mountsorrel

Best food by far that I've had in Leicestershire in decades. The lads that cook own the place, they wouldn't work in Leicestershire otherwise.

Not a food mountain but extremely innovative, well cooked and presented

Great value Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Menu gets more extensive and a bit more cost on Friday and Saturday, but still great value for the quality and expertise.

http://www.thespottedduck.co.uk/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1520843-d11860807-Reviews-The_Spotted_Duck-Mountsorrel_Leicestershire_England.html

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

For Leicester it’s fine. Mahrez was in there Sunday night when we were there.

Not amazing, but decent atmosphere and food is fine. Same as it always has to be fair.

Cant work out how they make money with such a massive menu. Can’t be fresh or the waste they would encounter would  be a burden to the business. 

Big is not always beautiful

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/food-hygiene-12-leicester-premises-185841

Bit of time ago but same owners

4 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The Spotted Duck Mountsorrel

Best food by far that I've had in Leicestershire in decades. The lads that cook own the place, they wouldn't work in Leicestershire otherwise.

Not a food mountain but extremely innovative, well cooked and presented

Great value Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Menu gets more extensive and a bit more cost on Friday and Saturday, but still great value for the quality and expertise.

http://www.thespottedduck.co.uk/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1520843-d11860807-Reviews-The_Spotted_Duck-Mountsorrel_Leicestershire_England.html

Went for my Mrs birthday a couple of weeks ago and agree with the above.

I had the fillet steak and it was incredible. 

7 hours ago, Simi said:

It's opposite Barclay's bank; up the road from Wilko's, towards the mini-roundabout where the Fox and Hound pub is in front.

It's on the corner of the roundabout (the side where the Wilko's car park is located behind it).

I haven't been keen on the restaurants in Syston, although The Rose Indian restuarant is ok. Although this one looks nice looking from the outside in.

Sounds as if the town is doenhill at the moment, with a good number of car thefts reports and businesses bring broken into/premises windows smashed etc.

Edit: just seen @Samilktray's post above just after this post about it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It's opposite Barclay's bank; up the road from Wilko's, towards the mini-roundabout where the Fox and Hound pub is in front.

It's on the corner of the roundabout (the side where the Wilko's car park is located behind it).

I haven't been keen on the restaurants in Syston, although The Rose Indian restuarant is ok. Although this one looks nice looking from the outside in.

Sounds as if the town is doenhill at the moment, with a good number of car thefts reports and businesses bring broken into/premises windows smashed etc.

Edit: just seen @Samilktray's post above just after this post about it.

Taraj is the better of the curry houses for me. You've got Mangal too which is excellent. But other than that, not much variety in terms of restaurants. None of the pubs do decent food really. Especially when you compare to The Brittania in Quenni, which is excellent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Simi said:

Taraj is the better of the curry houses for me. You've got Mangal too which is excellent. But other than that, not much variety in terms of restaurants. None of the pubs do decent food really. Especially when you compare to The Brittania in Quenni, which is excellent. 

None of the pubs do great food? Hope and Anchor circa 2009 was top end scran and 5 star service.

The Britannia is a great gaff, bit pricey for bevs for a village pub mind.

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

None of the pubs do great food? Hope and Anchor circa 2009 was top end scran and 5 star service.

The Britannia is a great gaff, bit pricey for bevs for a village pub mind.

It's just average Hungry Horse grub, doesn't do it for me. Much rather go Cheney Arms, Blue Bell, Brittania or Blacksmiths which are all pretty close. 

Brittania bit pricey as the area around there is pretty pricey itself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simi said:

It's just average Hungry Horse grub, doesn't do it for me. Much rather go Cheney Arms, Blue Bell, Brittania or Blacksmiths which are all pretty close. 

Brittania bit pricey as the area around there is pretty pricey itself. 

Aha I'm joking mate, used to work there around that time. Tip.

The Blue Bell is excellent, two pizzas for 15 quid on a Monday as well, superb.

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Aha I'm joking mate, used to work there around that time. Tip.

The Blue Bell is excellent, two pizzas for 15 quid on a Monday as well, superb.

Used to frequent many times back in '09. I knew there was some redeeming factor.

Yeah, pub quiz on a Monday too isn't it? Been meaning to make the trip.

3 minutes ago, Simi said:

Used to frequent many times back in '09. I knew there was some redeeming factor.

Yeah, pub quiz on a Monday too isn't it? Been meaning to make the trip.

Yeah and you get a bloody pizza per team free of charge then in all #backofthenet #banter #foxestalk

1 hour ago, Simi said:

This bloke knows his stuff.

• Thanks 1

Went to that Italian in Syston again last night. Not perfect, but nice. Feel sorry for them as they try hard and it’s nice food but not many tables taken. 

Love his tripadvisor remarks too if anyone leaves a bad one (which is rare) , he really has a go back.

Dont think he is Italian though, but it’s still decent food.

53 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Went to the Boot Room on millstone lane last night with the other half, very decent food and great service - would definitely recommend it. Bit quieter was filling up through the night which was nice to see

Is that a relatively new one?

Rarely go into Leicester now, but heard that part of the city has a few decent bars (in terms of feedback from people who've gone there) to try.

Middleton's is very good for a few course meal, and Firebug is alright as well for the atmosphere but found the drink quite on the expensive side imo.

10 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is that a relatively new one?

Rarely go into Leicester now, but heard that part of the city has a few decent bars (in terms of feedback from people who've gone there) to try.

Middleton's is very good for a few course meal, and Firebug is alright as well for the atmosphere but found the drink quite on the expensive side imo.

No, it’s been there for years

• Thanks 1