Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Yeah it was lovely when I went, although it is 3-4 years back now.

How's it compare to the Curzon? I seem to remember mentioning this before and folk leaning towards the Bull.

Off for a family meal in a couple weeks. Booked the Curzon last time and the Bull this.

The Old Bulls Head is a lot more modern now than what it used to be. Still, I've been there god knows how many times within the past 2 years and never had a bad meal. The food is absolutely spot on & the drink prices are the same as an average pub now a days. Big bar area & a lovely beer garden. Can't go wrong imo.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

The old bulls head is good @@MattP good food with plenty of choice and a good selection of drinks. Also it is nice inside and there won't be any riff raff. I also saw schlupp in there.

Great stuff @@Unabomber - I hate eating near riff raff. There was a homeless guy having a coffee in Newmans the other week with carrier bags for shoes, it put me off my breakfast.

Guest MattP

How's it compare to the Curzon? I seem to remember mentioning this before and folk leaning towards the Bull.

Off for a family meal in a couple weeks. Booked the Curzon last time and the Bull this.

The Curzon was tremendous, as good a Lamb Shank as I've had, slow cooked for 8 hours I think.  As I say I've can't really compare though as not eaten at either for a while and they both have new kitchens now.

Has anyone been to Haycock and Talibar in town yet? They do things like Crocodile, Snake, Wild Boar and Moose etc

The Zebra looks absolutely amazing.

zebra-and-bison.jpg

The curzon arms is boss, living in birstall it's a misery for pubs. Massive bloody village and three shit boozers, one shit social and the legion.

SHIT

All my family live in Birstall so every Boxing Day my cousin and uncle take me in the village for a few pints. Start in the Stamford then work our way down to the White horse.

I'd been in the Stamford for about an hour when I went toilet and some bloke was trying to sell me drugs.

I've never been disappointed at the Curzon. Even some top restaurants haven't been as enjoyable. The Cruzon combines good quality food, including venison sometimes, within a much-varied menu with welcoming log fires in winter and a lively but totally unpretentious pub atmosphere with great service and decent wines.

If I had to chose one place I had to eat at for the rest of my life it'd be the Curzon - and that includes one or two top restaurants in Birmingham, Cambridge and Oxford which were all rated as outstanding but which really didn't match the Curzon either for their food or their still reasonable cost.

One of the few places I found did compare was Simpsons in Edgbaston, Birmingham where I had the lunchtime taster menu which was absolutely outstanding value for the money. Not better than the Curzon, just different. And they now have sleepover facilities if you're heading that way for a day or two. 

Edited by Thracian

The Blue Bell in Rothley is really good. Think it's owned by the same people who own the Curzon and a few other places.

Yeah I love that place as well. It is you are correct, they also have The Windmill at Wymeswold. Haven't been to the Curzon yet but it's definitely on the list.

• Like 1

All my family live in Birstall so every Boxing Day my cousin and uncle take me in the village for a few pints. Start in the Stamford then work our way down to the White horse.

I'd been in the Stamford for about an hour when I went toilet and some bloke was trying to sell me drugs.

Ahahaha, Christ mate the Stamford is god awful - it's not even got shit boozer charm has it, it's just shit.

White Horse thinks it's something it's not in all, they don't look after their beer / lager well at all, always tastes like the lines need cleaning in there.

Plough probably has the best selection of booze and is steady in the summer when you can sit out the back in peace unlike the White Horse that attracts the fairweather drinkers, but it's still piss poor considering how big Birstall is. SIleby, Rothley, Syston and Barrow all have more than decent village pubs, for me where to go for a quiet one in walking distance is like choosing my favourite member of ISIS.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Need a little help - can anyone recommend a decent pub/restaurant for Sunday roast for a large group (15-ish) that I can book at a week's notice? Anywhere about a 10 mile radius of Leicester would be ideal. Cheers

The Font, on Gateway Street usually caters for large group tables.

Went to The Forge in Glenfield not long ago that had a table with 10 on, so could be possible there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Went to the Shires in Peatling Parva the other week for Sunday munch. Quality carvery 3 meats & excellent unlimited spuds yorkies & veg. Best to book for a large group. £11.50 fill your boots.

Never let's you down ...   Well recommended.   Big portions and well cooked.

15 hours ago, boots60 said:

Went to the Shires in Peatling Parva the other week for Sunday munch. Quality carvery 3 meats & excellent unlimited spuds yorkies & veg. Best to book for a large group. £11.50 fill your boots.

I'll vouch for this place as well. I've never had a bad experience there. Might have to take myself there on Sunday now, I've got a craving!

• 4 weeks later...