Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Café Rouge is nice

I used to frequent the one in Cheltenham regularly when I was there. The atmosphere was great, the service and food was fantastic, and the staff really made an effort, with most of them being genuinely French.

The one in the Highcross, however, I found to be absolutely shocking. Poor food, poor presentation, disgraceful steak, slack, slow staff who didn't give a damn and were rude. I felt that I had put them out, just by being in there. Perhaps it's changed since then, but I was massively put off and unimpressed (if you couldn't guess lol).

Grey Goose at Gilmorton is excellent.

Been a little while since I was in there last, but I don't think I've had a bad meal there. If it's stll anywhere near as good, I'd recommend it too :thumbup:

I used to frequent the one in Cheltenham regularly when I was there. The atmosphere was great, the service and food was fantastic, and the staff really made an effort, with most of them being genuinely French.

The one in the Highcross, however, I found to be absolutely shocking. Poor food, poor presentation, disgraceful steak, slack, slow staff who didn't give a damn and were rude. I felt that I had put them out, just by being in there. Perhaps it's changed since then, but I was massively put off and unimpressed (if you couldn't guess lol).

Been a little while since I was in there last, but I don't think I've had a bad meal there. If it's stll anywhere near as good, I'd recommend it too :thumbup:

Tbf I've not been to the Highcross one I have only been to the one next to the MEN Arena in Manchester

Tbf I've not been to the Highcross one I have only been to the one next to the MEN Arena in Manchester

Haha fair enough. I've been to a couple of others too, and thought they were alright, just the one in town was terrible. Just assumed you meant the one in town, given the thread title. No worries :thumbup:

Haha fair enough. I've been to a couple of others too, and thought they were alright, just the one in town was terrible. Just assumed you meant the one in town, given the thread title. No worries :thumbup:

I knew there was a brand in Leicester so I just assumed it would be as good as the one I went in before lol

Also interested in this, but my feeling is that there are none. 

…does Time & Plaice (Rothley) count? It's a restaurant tacked onto the side of the chip shop, but they make it feel like a proper restaurant and the quality is way above standard chip shop fair. Went last weekend with missus' family, I'm not normally a fish fan but the fish was really nice and light and I had the scampi, which was fantastic. 

Barnacles in Hinckley. Never been myself as I don't like that sort of food, but my sister has been and she liked it.

I can echo this. A few friends of mine have been there and have recommended it if that's your kinda thing. I could be wrong, but I think they do a decent steak there too.

EDIT: Here's the link to the menu http://barnacles-restaurant.co.uk/food/

Edited by Darkon84

I can echo this. A few friends of mine have been there and have recommended it if that's your kinda thing. I could be wrong, but I think they do a decent steak there too.

EDIT: Here's the link to the menu http://barnacles-restaurant.co.uk/food/

Looks a good menu, starters seem a bit steep though.

On another note if anyone goes for a walk in Bradgate park the Bradgate pub has improved a lot and has a decent menu and their pizzas are great.

Looks a good menu, starters seem a bit steep though.

On another note if anyone goes for a walk in Bradgate park the Bradgate pub has improved a lot and has a decent menu and their pizzas are great.

The Sunday roasts are pretty delicious too. I was last there around mid November and thoroughly enjoyed the beef. They do a sort of Sunday roast sharing board where you can dip in and take bits and pieces. Certainly a different idea, but the huge table next to us seemed to enjoy it. Good yorkies too, which is always good to see.