Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, The Bear said:

Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson both binned off to free agency.

That would have been unthinkable a couple of seasons ago.

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Oh yeah and Darelle Revis too. But only because he's been a naughty boy.

The last CBA changed NFL free agency massively. The smart teams (such as the Patriots) realised early on that from then on if you are paying a veteran a lot of money you are best dumping their massive contracts as soon as their play started to decline and turn that into either cap space or draft picks. It is only worth nailing down your superstars to decent contracts but even then they should not be allowed to stick around once they hit the wall.

The rest of the league is just starting to smarten up and catch on. AP is the wrong side of 30 which is when production from running backs hits a massive drop-off. Charles is always injured and whose risk/reward now drifts massively towards the former. Revis was dreadful for the Jets last year and would have been on the bubble even before getting in trouble. 

The average NFL career is down to about two and a half years now I think which is pretty mad.

• 2 weeks later...

With the draft approaching who do you think will be drafted 1st overall and who do you want your side to select with their first pick.

I personally think the Browns will go for DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M). However I wouldn't be surprised if in true Browns style they went for for a QB in Khizer or Trubisky.

So as a Panthers fan id like to see us go for a RB as J Stew isn't getting any younger. I realise the OL and DL needs strengthening but free agency has been good so id go with a RB. Fournette would be my pick but don't think he'll last till 8 so Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffrey please.

This year looks stacked defensively with some great offence talent especially in the RB's and TE's.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts...

2 hours ago, eddylcfc said:

With the draft approaching who do you think will be drafted 1st overall and who do you want your side to select with their first pick.

I personally think the Browns will go for DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M). However I wouldn't be surprised if in true Browns style they went for for a QB in Khizer or Trubisky.

So as a Panthers fan id like to see us go for a RB as J Stew isn't getting any younger. I realise the OL and DL needs strengthening but free agency has been good so id go with a RB. Fournette would be my pick but don't think he'll last till 8 so Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffrey please.

This year looks stacked defensively with some great offence talent especially in the RB's and TE's.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts...

Jets need a QB and they need miracles getting the right one as draft picks at QB have been a disaster for my team 

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a shock to see Romo retire. Maybe his injuries have affected him more than we know.

Shame as he'd have been a perfect match for someone like the Texans.

Also, Marshawn Lynch reckons he could make a comeback, which I'd love to see.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

If Trubisky turns out to be the real deal (big if) then everyone will forget about the trade. 

Of course, if he turns out to be the next aaron rodgers, all will be forgiven. But giving away all those picks to move up 1 spot, when in all likelyhood he's going to fall to you anyway? What a waste. Especially after spending the money to sign Glennon. I dont know if either of them are even an upgrade on Cutler.

Amazed that Cleveland didn't screw up. Thought they might take a QB at #1.

Figured they would gamble on Reuben Foster at 25 but they added some nice young talent and have every chance of being in a position to pick up Darnold or Rosen next year.

San Francisco a big winner, and I like the OJ Howard pick for Tampa Bay, their offence should be fun this year.

• 3 months later...

Season starts two weeks today with Patriots v Chiefs!!

I had a look earlier at what the big name trades/signings were during the off-season:

Adrian Peterson, RB, New Orleans Saints
Eddie Lacy, RB, Seattle Seahawks
Marshawn Lynch, RB, Oakland Raiders
Terrelle Pryor, WR, Washington Redskins
Martellus Bennett, TE, Green Bay Packers.
Desean Jackson, WR, Philadelhia Eagles.
LeGarrette Blount, RB, Philadelphia Eagles
Brandon Marshall, WR, New York Giants
Brandin Cooks, WR, New England Patriots
Eric Decker, WR, Tennessee Titans
Desean Jackson, WE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Martellus Bennett to the Packers is a really good deal in a problem position for them. It'll be interesting to see how Beast Mode and Peterson do at their new teams too. Ingram is still at the Saints as well isn't he?

12 hours ago, The Bear said:

Had my usual pre-season acca on the eight divisional winners. Couple of tough calls, particularly Seahawks v Cardinals and Falcons v Panthers. Went for Falcons/Cardinals.

Patriots
Steelers
Titans
Raiders
Cowboys
Packers
Falcons
Cardinals

Agree with that apart from Bucs for Falcons and I don't think cowboys will win the east. I think they may even be third behind Phil. and NY.

All of the NFC divisions are very open. 

Edited by bovril