Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

51 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Very limited knowledge of the sport but what the hell was the guy doing who just had to tackle him at the end ?? 

Think the safety’s problem was that he thought too much about what to do. He could wrap him up at the 35 yard line, but he knows that this is in range of Kai Forbarth’s field goal and then it’s still game over. He can’t let him go out of bounds as that will give the Vikings time to set the field goal up. At the same time he doesn’t want to give up a penalty for potentially nailing a defenceless receiver. He’s also the safety that had the momentum shifting pick that got the Saints back into the game in first place so he’s probably riding high on confidence. The technique is inexcusable, but I think he’s just tried to consider too many things and has then tried something which just fvcks it all up. Awesome game, awesome ending. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bert said:

Pleased for the Vikings. They've been class this season. 

Praying for a Vikings Jags final. 

Can't be doing with another Brady love in. 

Love to meet any genius that predicted a possible Jags Vikings super bowl at the start of the year. lol

Mad. Titans and Jags turning heads this year, top stuff. 

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Love to meet any genius that predicted a possible Jags Vikings super bowl at the start of the year. lol

I know. Crazy. But that's what makes the sport so good. You'll always have one or two dominant teams that are always there or thereabouts but there will always be someone in there that quietly sneaks up whilst playing impressively throughout. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

As much as it annoys me, the Vikings have done brilliantly this season. The key moment of their season was when they knocked Aaron Rodgers down and broke his collar bone. Packers were 4-1 and looking very strong, Vikings were 3-2. If Rodgers had remained fit all season, I think they would have won the division and left the Vikings with a wildcard game and road trips to the superbowl. As it is, they made the right call in the off season and recruited a reasonable backup QB with experience when it was understood that they were would be without Bridgewater and he has more than took his chance.

My full backing is behind the Jags now though and would love them to go all the way but can't see it. 

Spent most of the weekend avoiding Twitter and the internet in general so I could enjoy the four games on delay.

Aside from the snorefest of Pat-Titans, what a set of matches. Absolutely captivated by them and it's weekends like this I fall a little out of love with soccer and fall in love a but more with football. Knockout football really is the best.

Hoping for similar quality this Sunday. Was all confident about the Jags doing the underdog job until Steelers lobbed 42 points past them. Vikings under their own roof would be immense. Famous last words but Foles against the Pats, if he played like he did at the beginning of the Falcons game, ain't gonna be pretty.

Ugh, the fvcking Patriots. The worst thing is that it isn't even close to being a surprise - second half the jags just didn't perform on offence. 

Not aggressive enough on the play calling imo, they must've run almost every first down second half even though it wasn't really working.

Got to give the Patriots credit for their ability to win games. I don't want them to win another Superbowl but they've got so much experience it's going to take one hell of a game for either the Eagles or the Vikings to win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Ugh, the fvcking Patriots. The worst thing is that it isn't even close to being a surprise - second half the jags just didn't perform on offence. 

Not aggressive enough on the play calling imo, they must've run almost every first down second half even though it wasn't really working.

Got to give the Patriots credit for their ability to win games. I don't want them to win another Superbowl but they've got so much experience it's going to take one hell of a game for either the Eagles or the Vikings to win. 

I think the Vikings could beat them in Minneapolis. However I think the possibility of getting to a Superbowl in your home stadium will be too much for the Vikings tonight and they'll choke. 

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think the Vikings could beat them in Minneapolis. However I think the possibility of getting to a Superbowl in your home stadium will be too much for the Vikings tonight and they'll choke. 

Good point, it would certainly add another obstacle for NE.

I can't see either of these QB's leading a team past the Patriots though, especially after how well they just dealt with the Jags run.

16 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

They seem to be like the Man U side of the late 90's - get into the head of opposing teams and therefore win even when they haven't played well, which is pretty much what happened tonight.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

They seem to be like the Man U side of the late 90's - get into the head of opposing teams and therefore win even when they haven't played well, which is pretty much what happened tonight.

Oh yeah, the mentality they have is seemingly unbreakable, it's what makes them so formidable. Their play-off history in the last decade is full of comebacks.

Haha thought it was only amongst my group of friends that the Patriots are compared to Man  Utd.....Anyone but the Patriots is pretty unanimous amongst us just like anyone but United..... Have to agree the Jags were very poor in 2nd half. Wasted far too many plays trying to run out from their own 20 when it was obvious the Patriots had gained the upper hand in the close  exchanges...Good start for the Vikings. ? Hope they don’t do the same as the Jags 

Hoping for a Eagles win now. 

Officials were desperate for the patriots to win that. Harsh on the Jags and what a shame for the Vikings to probably have their worst game of the season especially after going 7-0 up so early on in the game. 

If the Jags hadn't had that delay of game penalty just before HT allowing the Pats to score, I reckon they'd have had enough to win it. Especially as they'd have likely got a FG minimum from that drive too. Absolutely shocking to get that penalty coming straight from a time  out.