Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Does Pearson Deserve Another Crack ?

Keep Pearson:

- for next year in the Premiership if he engineers the miraculous escape: or

- for next year in the Championship (proven at that level, if he got us back up to the Prem I'd expect him to have learnt from this season).

I don't see many other attractive alternatives which would not be a massive gamble. Allardyce maybe - if he'd come that is. Not saying that there isn't anybody out there who could do the job, don't see why we need to take the risk when we have a proven manager already at the club.

Howe? Possibly, although he might easily end up a failure and have the 'too big a club for him' label.

Fresh ideas sounds attractive in principle, but for every successful appointment there's also an Allen/Holloway/Levein/Megson/Taylor disaster waiting in the wings.

;)

Do we know this or is it just a rumour?

Was told by the owners of a high profile corporate sponser at the hull game, duno whether its true but they seemed pretty convinced as they were negotiating with the exec's of the club the price difference of a box in the championship compared to the prem.

Was told by the owners of a high profile corporate sponser at the hull game, duno whether its true but they seemed pretty convinced as they were negotiating with the exec's of the club the price difference of a box in the championship compared to the prem.

I just can't see it being common knowledge in the public domain, I can't see the owners telling a client no matter how high profile.

Don't get me wrong it's believable and could imagine it being true but on those two factors is where I think a rumour has been born rather than it being a fact.

I just can't see it being common knowledge in the public domain, I can't see the owners telling a client no matter how high profile.

Don't get me wrong it's believable and could imagine it being true but on those two factors is where I think a rumour has been born rather than it being a fact.

Like i said mate just going on what i have been told. The sponser in question are very close to the thai's due to the 'logistical' nature of King power.

No, no, no.

We need to start again with a manager who will play "modern" Premiership-style football whichever league we're in. You simply can't change styles in a close season. We need to model ourselves on Southampton and Swansea, clubs of a similar size to our own, who have shown you can get promoted and do more than survive if you start off playing high tempo, on-the-floor football with players who are comfortable on the ball.

Pearson is a "mend and make do" manager - more comfortable with limited players, (mostly British) who show honest application, squad solidarity and obedience. He was one such player himself and - even at the peak of his career when he reached Cup Finals with Sheff Wed and Middlesborough - he played overwhelmingly with this type of player. Carlton Palmer, Curtis Fleming with the odd Junhino thrown in. His most successful managerial role models would be Ron Atkinson and Bryan Robson. He distrusts youth and over-rates experience.  He distrusts flair insisting that players who have it, put in a shift before they earn the right to display their creativity. His emphasis on squad solidarity means he will not tolerate any form of challenge or disobedience. In the 90's when he was playing, less fashionable clubs could frustrate the bigger clubs (to a limited extent) with this approach. But football has changed massively since then. 

It is Pearson's limited mindset which informs so much of what has happened this season. His over-rating of experience  has led him to reject the most competent goalkeeper we have in favour of two with bigger "names." His clear intention to rely heavily on Upson and Konchesky this season, ignores the fact that both left the Premiership some time ago, struggling then, to meet the required standard. His dependence on Cambiasso and his persistence with Nugent despite his lamentable open play goal-scoring record, also spring from this bias towards experience. And nothing could have prepared me for the cringing embarrassment  of Gary Taylor Fletcher waddling on to the Stamford Bridge pitch - in centre midfield - to match up to the likes of Cesc Fabregas. Meanwhile the brightest young defensive talent the club has produced in a couple of decades, has had his confidence so badly shattered, he can no longer command a starting place with Brentford. On the flair side, Knockaert is racing for the door having barely been given a chance to show he meets Premiership standards, Mahrez will probably do the same once the die is finally cast. Both, along with the "disappeared" Albrighton, have been criticised by Pearson this season, for not doing "a job for the team." While that may be true, it negates the reason you sign this type of player in the first place, to provide the creative spark that gives you the impetus you need to win matches. Maybe one solution would be to sign better defenders who need less additional protection. Or to sign a midfielder whose expertise is  in protecting a back four. 

Meanwhile Pearson's definition of disobedience is probably the strictest outside Putin's Russia. Knockaert and Albrighton's public comments (actually Albrighton's missus) would have been treated as minor misdemeanours at every other Premiership club, but it is clear that they have had a serious and lasting impact on both players' careers at LCFC. A man who couldn't handle a Radio Leicester interviewer trying to get beyond routine, mumbled, moronic,platitudes week in week out, while the club was at the top of the Championship, was always going to struggle in the Premiership goldfish bowl. And so it has proved. Pearson has presented a belligerent face of our club, when most of the upsetting events could either have been easily predicted (dodgy ref decisions) or brought on by his own actions (abusing a fan, grabbing McArthur). 

For most of this season I have been upset by the way some fans have seemed so eager to turn on a man who has done more to revive our club since Martin O'Neill. I have supported him on that basis. But nothing about this season convinces me he has the tactical dexterity or the vision to manage successfully in the Premiership. And that's what we need. even if we start next season in the Championship. 

If all of the above happened, I would give him next season.

If he gets us promoted, I would give him two months, in the premier league, and if it looks to be heading the same way, get rid.

If he starts bad next season get rid asap.

Again that's if he's humble enough to do what you say in your post.

Otherwise I want someone new in, no point in letting pearson have a go, only to **** it up again, can't say for certain he will, but nothing says to me this season he has learnt or will.

I agree in most of what you are saying, but, we got rid of Gary Megson after 10 weeks during the 2004/05 season. We brought in Robson and ironically Pearson. Our survival went to the last day, after being bottom of the prem on Christmas Day. The problems were that all the players signed were Megson's. Robson made the mistake of selling Earnshaw instead of Ellington. We beat Portsmouth to stay up after Palace drew. Point is few Baggies could understand the appointmet of Alan Irvine however he got until Christmas and fair play to the guy he got some unexpected results. It's been Pulis who has always been seen by Albion fans as the great Satan (he took more points at The Hawthorns as Stoke's boss than Clarke/Mel/Irvine combined), who has united the fanbase. If Pearson takes you down, but, brings you back you need stick with until the festive season. Two month is too short and its rare a Manager/Head Coach of decent quality would be available then anyway. 

Will be gone when relegation is confirmed as clauses in his contract kick in meaning the owners can git rid for pretty much nothing

I don't hold out too much hope of us ever being a force to be reckoned with if the owners are happy to wait until relegation to sack a manager to save money.

No, no, no.

We need to start again with a manager who will play "modern" Premiership-style football whichever league we're in. You simply can't change styles in a close season. We need to model ourselves on Southampton and Swansea, clubs of a similar size to our own, who have shown you can get promoted and do more than survive if you start off playing high tempo, on-the-floor football with players who are comfortable on the ball.

Pearson is a "mend and make do" manager - more comfortable with limited players, (mostly British) who show honest application, squad solidarity and obedience. He was one such player himself and - even at the peak of his career when he reached Cup Finals with Sheff Wed and Middlesborough - he played overwhelmingly with this type of player. Carlton Palmer, Curtis Fleming with the odd Junhino thrown in. His most successful managerial role models would be Ron Atkinson and Bryan Robson. He distrusts youth and over-rates experience. He distrusts flair insisting that players who have it, put in a shift before they earn the right to display their creativity. His emphasis on squad solidarity means he will not tolerate any form of challenge or disobedience. In the 90's when he was playing, less fashionable clubs could frustrate the bigger clubs (to a limited extent) with this approach. But football has changed massively since then.

It is Pearson's limited mindset which informs so much of what has happened this season. His over-rating of experience has led him to reject the most competent goalkeeper we have in favour of two with bigger "names." His clear intention to rely heavily on Upson and Konchesky this season, ignores the fact that both left the Premiership some time ago, struggling then, to meet the required standard. His dependence on Cambiasso and his persistence with Nugent despite his lamentable open play goal-scoring record, also spring from this bias towards experience. And nothing could have prepared me for the cringing embarrassment of Gary Taylor Fletcher waddling on to the Stamford Bridge pitch - in centre midfield - to match up to the likes of Cesc Fabregas. Meanwhile the brightest young defensive talent the club has produced in a couple of decades, has had his confidence so badly shattered, he can no longer command a starting place with Brentford. On the flair side, Knockaert is racing for the door having barely been given a chance to show he meets Premiership standards, Mahrez will probably do the same once the die is finally cast. Both, along with the "disappeared" Albrighton, have been criticised by Pearson this season, for not doing "a job for the team." While that may be true, it negates the reason you sign this type of player in the first place, to provide the creative spark that gives you the impetus you need to win matches. Maybe one solution would be to sign better defenders who need less additional protection. Or to sign a midfielder whose expertise is in protecting a back four.

Meanwhile Pearson's definition of disobedience is probably the strictest outside Putin's Russia. Knockaert and Albrighton's public comments (actually Albrighton's missus) would have been treated as minor misdemeanours at every other Premiership club, but it is clear that they have had a serious and lasting impact on both players' careers at LCFC. A man who couldn't handle a Radio Leicester interviewer trying to get beyond routine, mumbled, moronic,platitudes week in week out, while the club was at the top of the Championship, was always going to struggle in the Premiership goldfish bowl. And so it has proved. Pearson has presented a belligerent face of our club, when most of the upsetting events could either have been easily predicted (dodgy ref decisions) or brought on by his own actions (abusing a fan, grabbing McArthur).

For most of this season I have been upset by the way some fans have seemed so eager to turn on a man who has done more to revive our club since Martin O'Neill. I have supported him on that basis. But nothing about this season convinces me he has the tactical dexterity or the vision to manage successfully in the Premiership. And that's what we need. even if we start next season in the Championship.

fair play, that's the kind of criticism of nigel I can appreciate, even if I don't agree with it all. it's a far cry from "get rid of old bog brush head, he's arrogant"!

I don't hold out too much hope of us ever being a force to be reckoned with if the owners are happy to wait until relegation to sack a manager to save money.

Whilst I agree (Under normal circumstances or say a few months ago - when we could still be saved and sub-standard players could have been replaced in the transfer window) surely you can agree we're pretty much down, have been for weeks and I doubt anyone/thing could/would save us, that's not to say we shouldn't try of course but at the same time in the situation in we're pretty much condemned so we may aswell save money and play the waiting game if this rumour is actually true.

Whilst I agree surely you can agree we're pretty much down, have been for weeks and I doubt anyone/thing could/would save us, that's not to say we shouldn't try of course but at the same time in the situation in we're pretty much condemned so we may aswell save money and play the waiting game if this rumour is actually true.

We are all but relegated. If this rumour is true then it doesn't strike me as proactive, ambitious ownership, happy to save money on a payoff whilst losing money through relegation. If the owners want to make us a good side and established in the top flight they'll have to make tough decisions and lose more money to make changes.

They could've acted at Christmas, they could've stuck to their decision in February. So why didn't they? If this squad is not all that bad and being hindered by the manager then logically you sack the manager and gamble on the next one.

The owners were happy to spend millions in the transfer window so it shouldn't be an issue to get rid of Pearson and replace him.

We are all but relegated. If this rumour is true then it doesn't strike me as proactive, ambitious ownership, happy to save money on a payoff whilst losing money through relegation. If the owners want to make us a good side and established in the top flight they'll have to make tough decisions and lose more money to make changes.

They could've acted at Christmas, they could've stuck to their decision in February. So why didn't they? If this squad is not all that bad and being hindered by the manager then logically you sack the manager and gamble on the next one.

The owners were happy to spend millions in the transfer window so it shouldn't be an issue to get rid of Pearson and replace him.

It is though. Premiership-wise anyway, Championship it's a top quality squad, but no-where near Premiership standard - they don't even scratch the surface, now they can't help being good enough and it's Pearson fault we didn't strengthen in January so therefore we should have sacked him at Christmas (Like you have said) or we don't sack him at all and let him see the season out because I don't think anyone could have come in post-January transfer window and saved us with these players at their disposal we needed strengthening and players needed replacing.

(I have also edited my original post to pretty much say that, but you'd already quoted me before the edit)

It is though. Premiership-wise anyway, Championship it's a top quality squad, but no-where near Premiership standard - they don't even scratch the surface, now they can't help being good enough and it's Pearson fault we didn't strengthen in January so therefore we should have sacked him at Christmas (Like you have said) or we don't sack him at all and let him see the season out because I don't think anyone could have come in post-January transfer window and saved us with these players at their disposal we needed strengthening and players needed replacing.

(I have also edited my original post to pretty much say that, but you'd already quoted me before the edit)

I guess the question then becomes, would good enough players have come to us?

Why do people think we have a divine right to stay up? We got promoted at a canter & I, like a few others thought this might be the start of something MON-esque. However his faith in last seasons players & poor recruiting has shown us coming up short.

We should & I emphasis should steamroller the championship but I'd give him 10 games. He has not helped his case this season with the antics that have gone on & made himself unlikeable to many people. He has shown himself as arrogant & his truculence with the media is appalling. I would stick with him next season & see how it goes.

Will be gone when relegation is confirmed as clauses in his contract kick in meaning the owners can git rid for pretty much nothing

About 3 weeks ago I aksed in a thread if the reason we had no got rid was because of a clause.

Had never seen it put by anyone else at the time.

Now it seems it was in his contract for real or have people misread what I said.

About 3 weeks ago I aksed in a thread if the reason we had no got rid was because of a clause.

Had never seen it put by anyone else at the time.

Now it seems it was in his contract for real or have people misread what I said.

I doubt anyone on here would know the truth about that.

Don't buy that at all!

Could have got rid of him for nothing by trumping up a gross misconduct charge over the fan/McArthur incidents if they even slightly wanted to get rid of him.

Wouldn't have been hard to issue him a written warning for the fan incident, then a gross misconduct dismissal as his 'damaging behavior' became a repeat offence with the McArthur incident.

It's not a case of does he deserve, it's will he be successful this time around? For me after all that's happened this season I don't think he will be.

I was about to type this, the amount of people who treat sacking managers as some kind of punishment handed out to the individual for the sole crime of being a bit shit amazes me. It's about what's best for the club not what an individual manager "deserves" Adkins didn't deserve to be sacked at Saints when they were 15th in the league but it's hard to say the owners made a bad decision. Cut throat, but the club will more than likely be playing European football next year.

For me, I think he's a pretty safe bet to get us back up so the answer would be yes, however he'd be watched like a hawk both next season and  season after.

I was about to type this, the amount of people who treat sacking managers as some kind of punishment handed out to the individual for the sole crime of being a bit shit amazes me. It's about what's best for the club not what an individual manager "deserves" Adkins didn't deserve to be sacked at Saints when they were 15th in the league but it's hard to say the owners made a bad decision. Cut throat, but the club will more than likely be playing European football next year.

For me, I think he's a pretty safe bet to get us back up so the answer would be yes, however he'd be watched like a hawk both next season and season after.

Good post MP and I agree with that.

I think he would be a safe bet to give us a fighting chance of promotion again.

However, what about thereafter? Having seen what we've seen this season, do people think Nigel will have learnt enough to have a better crack at the Prem next time around?

I guess thats speculation.

The only aim, should we get down, would be to get straight back up again.

It would be very strange though, if we kept Pearson, got promoted again..and then sacked him..

lol

Archived