Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

This is just a thread about Neil Lennon

Having just read that article in the mercury with Tony Cottee regarding Lennon it actually makes me feel that I would be happy to give him a chance! Goes on to say he's all about team spirit & everybody plays for each other. Don't like big ego's!

Makes me think the current squad of players would like him.

I reckon if someone signed up to a Bolton forum and asked them if they'd swap Lennon for Pearson a lot of them would snap your hands off. Says it all really

It's comments like this that are really starting to pee me off. I'm sure 90% of Leicester fans would rather keep Pearson but that's not the point. Nigel has gone now whether we like it or not therefore we have got to keep our heads high & support our club no matter what. Comparisons like this are not relevant to who's next in charge. Nige has gone onwards & upwards!!

It's comments like this that are really starting to pee me off. I'm sure 90% of Leicester fans would rather keep Pearson but that's not the point. Nigel has gone now whether we like it or not therefore we have got to keep our heads high & support our club no matter what. Comparisons like this are not relevant to who's next in charge. Nige has gone onwards & upwards!!

you've entirely missed their point - yes Nigel has gone and that's not changing, but we need to go forward, Lennon is an obvious step back.

explain how he's an obvious step back.

Poor with Bolton, did fine for Celtic but in a division with no Rangers, that's the bare minimum... He's not a premiership manager right now, he's a midtable championship manager and it says a lot that Bolton fans would be happy to get rid of him

No disrespect Doc, but in the same way that some players step up to the Premiership (sometimes unexpectedly so), so too can managers.

When given charge of a good squad and a decent transfer kitty, Lennon 'the decent Championship manager' could become Lennon, the 'good Premiership manager'.

People are writing that they know he wouldn't do any good. Of course you don't know.

For me, the fact that Lennon did achieve at Celtic and has experience of managing in the Champions League is good. Celtic are a massive club, with big name players (relatively). At Bolton, he inherited a crap club and a crap squad. And did ok.

I'd give Lennon a chance if he came.

No disrespect Doc, but in the same way that some players step up to the Premiership (sometimes unexpectedly so), so too can managers.

When given charge of a good squad and a decent transfer kitty, Lennon 'the decent Championship manager' could become Lennon, the 'good Premiership manager'.

People are writing that they know he wouldn't do any good. Of course you don't know.

For me, the fact that Lennon did achieve at Celtic and has experience of managing in the Champions League is good. Celtic are a massive club, with big name players (relatively). At Bolton, he inherited a crap club and a crap squad. And did ok.

I'd give Lennon a chance if he came.

Eh, pretty much every Celtic manager has succeeded, but would you take Gordon Strachan? Success in Scotland with Celtic is a given, even more so with no Rangers. There's absolutely no reason to think he could possibly be a good premiership manager and the simple question is: if he were Jordan Stewart, Billy McKinlay, Trevor Benjamin or any one else who wasn't a good player and fans favourite for us, would he be seriously considered? No. We should not be appointing someone because they were a good player for us 15 years ago.

Eh, pretty much every Celtic manager has succeeded, but would you take Gordon Strachan? Success in Scotland with Celtic is a given, even more so with no Rangers. There's absolutely no reason to think he could possibly be a good premiership manager and the simple question is: if he were Jordan Stewart, Billy McKinlay, Trevor Benjamin or any one else who wasn't a good player and fans favourite for us, would he be seriously considered? No. We should not be appointing someone because they were a good player for us 15 years ago.

As I said, turn it on its head. Why have you any reason to think he wouldn't be a good Premiership manager?

Who knows?

It's about context as much as anything else. Given the resources he would have at City, he could make a fist of the job. It's by no means a certainty that he wouldn't.

For me, Lennon's strengths include taking no shite, being quite popular (apparently) with his players and having experience at managing a big club in the Champions League. His shortcomings include being a hothead in some circumstances and having no experience of Premiership management.

With the exception of managing in the top European competition, does this remind you of someone? It does me.

I hope to god we don't appoint Lennon as Manager this would be a massive step backwards, I still can't believe the have got rid of Pearson unbelievable what was they thinking!!!

Again, rather than this 'he's pants' stuff, let's have some discussion.

Why not Lennon?

Discuss.

As I said, turn it on its head. Why have you any reason to think he wouldn't be a good Premiership manager?

Who knows?

It's about context as much as anything else. Given the resources he would have at City, he could make a fist of the job. It's by no means a certainty that he wouldn't.

For me, Lennon's strengths include taking no shite, being quite popular (apparently) with his players and having experience at managing a big club in the Champions League. His shortcomings include being a hothead in some circumstances and having no experience of Premiership management.

With the exception of managing in the top European competition, does this remind you of someone? It does me.

Because he didn't exactly do well in the division below and was ok in a weaker division. Doing well in Scotland is no sign of being a good manager; Levein taught us that personally. 

He could match Pearson, but right now he's Pearson circa approx. 2011 - A championship manager who needs to prove he can make the next step in the championship (getting a team up), let alone being a good appointment for any premiership club. If he wasn't a former player we wouldn't even be discussing him, that says all we need to know.

Because he didn't exactly do well in the division below and was ok in a weaker division. Doing well in Scotland is no sign of being a good manager; Levein taught us that personally.

He could match Pearson, but right now he's Pearson circa approx. 2011 - A championship manager who needs to prove he can make the next step in the championship (getting a team up), let alone being a good appointment for any premiership club. If he wasn't a former player we wouldn't even be discussing him, that says all we need to know.

Fair enough, decent argument.

So by definition, you want a manager who has either got Prem experience, or has got a Championship side promoted.

You may well get your wish in Hiddink.

His Bolton record shows an initial burst of improvement but 4 wins from mid-January.

To be fair, the first few wins were probably on account of new manager syndrome.

But he did have some crap to work with at Bolton.

Small club, small fanbase, in mountains of debt etc..

He possibly did ok to keep them up. Freedman had wrecked them previously.

Fair enough, decent argument.

So by definition, you want a manager who has either got Prem experience, or has got a Championship side promoted.

You may well get your wish in Hiddink.

I'd want either an appointment that is progressive in terms of ambition or is a good young manager who looks ready to make the step up: so either a Hiddink or a Montella; Karanka wouldn't be a bad choice, he's done well with Middlesbrough. If Lennon had this CV when Pearson left first time round, or when Sousa and Sven departed, I'd be on board, but his progression is a couple of years behind where we are now. 

Archived