Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Fuchs signs new three year contract

So he was just baiting the club with the threat of leaving to the US. His level does seem to have declined a little, but in the short to midterm future, this is good by all accounts. Seems like an important cog in the team as well, spirit wise.

3 years seems a bit long, Id have given him a two year deal. Hopefully he can pass on his knowledge to Chilwell who is a raw talent and importantly perform at the levels he was at last season. I cant say he has been playing poorly and some of his defending has been solid but he is such a good crosser of the ball that Id like to see him going a bit more forward. Anyway, retiring from International football will also help his longevity I suppose!

3 year contract and his pace is starting to go already, 2yr fine but not 3. Guys been great, but he is getting torn to shreds by pace - Mane and Barrow completely out sprinted him. Zaha tomorrow means Albrighton starts instead of Gray to compensate. 

3 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

3 year contract and his pace is starting to go already, 2yr fine but not 3. Guys been great, but he is getting torn to shreds by pace - Mane and Barrow completely out sprinted him. Zaha tomorrow means Albrighton starts instead of Gray to compensate. 

Name more than a couple of full backs who would even get close to Mane or Barrow in the prem? Mane is possibly the quickest player in the league and Barrow has torn apart just about every full back this season. Bellerin granted would but don't think many others would get near them! Fuchs and Simpson have both been superb 1v1 defensively for the last 12 months.. Appreciate his pace may not electric but he's hardly slow. 

I'm sure i've now cursed it and Zaha will have a good game!

2 minutes ago, hornyhollthefox123 said:

Name more than a couple of full backs who would even get close to Mane or Barrow in the prem? Mane is possibly the quickest player in the league and Barrow has torn apart just about every full back this season. Bellerin granted would but don't think many others would get near them! Fuchs and Simpson have both been superb 1v1 defensively for the last 12 months.. Appreciate his pace may not electric but he's hardly slow. 

I'm sure i've now cursed it and Zaha will have a good game!

I'd say Fuchs is in the bottom 3 starting PL full backs in terms of pace. Look, I rate his attitude, left peg and positional play, but this problem will get worse.

Just now, RoyFox said:

I'd say Fuchs is in the bottom 3 starting PL full backs in terms of pace. Look, I rate his attitude, left peg and positional play, but this problem will get worse.

I'd love to be proved wrong of course!!!

Guest CityFan 06

I'm a little surprised but it's great news if he wants to stay at the club for another three years, especially ahead of Saturday as well. When we signed him in 2015 he was a real find, and only on a free transfer. His crosses from the left side are sumptuous at times. 

6 minutes ago, RoyFox said:

It wont, how can you lose pace you've never had. 

Besides Chillwell will, hopefully, take his place before the third year is out, I'd imagine that's the idea at least. 

Fuch's problem is not so much a dip in form as a change in the system. This new "total football" bollocks that Ranieri seems to have shifted towards means that Morgan and (to a lesser extent) Huth are being asked to/choosing to get on the ball more and as neither of them have the skill to do so, it's leading to problems as it gives other teams time to press on the defenders, who inevitably end up laying the ball wide to Fuchs/Simpson (Drinkwater is doing this a lot too - our current blueprint for Barcelona-esque passing is Kasper -> Morgan -> Amartey -> Drinkwater -> One of the fullbacks) and by that point they are so closed down that all they have left is a ball back to Kasper for a hoof or they hoof it themselves down the line.

Now IF Huth/Morgan had more ability on the ball AND they dropped back into space after doing "their bit" and moving the ball onto a midfielder, the fullbacks would be able to pass back to them, have them pass back to the midfielder and THEN there should be space created because of the opposition pressing up. As it is, both Huth and Morgan stay up level with the ball as though they're playing the late 90's style Arsenal offside trap and this leaves no options back inside.  This wasn't a problem last season as we almost never did it - the ball was almost always put back to Kasper who lumped it reasonably accurately forward. As our entire team pressed forward, we often picked up second balls and used it as a launchpad for a quick counter. It ain't happening now as there's too big a gap between our midfield two and the strikers.  This makes it very easy for opposition fullbacks to head the ball back inside to their midfield as they outnumber us in that crucial space between our strikers and the midfield.

If Albrighton/Mahrez would drop inside when the long ball goes forward, they would have a far better chance of picking up the second ball and they'd provide support for the midfield duo, but they tend to sit wide waiting for the knockback down the line and that almost never comes. It's this continued repetition of something that is clearly not working that drives many of us fans mad I think!

This is why it helps us to have Shinji playing. He plays as a deeper no. 10 who fills that gap and creates space by his endless running.  It stops their free man in midfield from having the luxury of taking up that position in and ahead of their fullbacks and helps us to win the ball back higher up the pitch.  Slimani and Vardy both push high in a straight line and this leaves a gaping hole. They shouldn't be played together in that system, but it would work if we played a 4-3-1-2 with Shinji/Kaputska/maybe even Gray in that hole. We could possibly play a diamond with Drinkwater at the back and Shinji/whoever at the point but it requires more disciplined wide players than Mahrez in that set-up so it would mean sacrificing him.  He cannot play as the number 10 as, frankly, he's too damn lazy to do the job required.

We're damned a bit at the moment by our players. If we don't sacrifice some of the "star" names for a better formation, we'll be stuck with hoofball until/unless they go back to what worked better last year (which is really just a more cultured form of hoofball as it includes the press/harry/quick counter which we've lost).

1 minute ago, carled said:

Fuch's problem is not so much a dip in form as a change in the system. This new "total football" bollocks that Ranieri seems to have shifted towards means that Morgan and (to a lesser extent) Huth are being asked to/choosing to get on the ball more and as neither of them have the skill to do so, it's leading to problems as it gives other teams time to press on the defenders, who inevitably end up laying the ball wide to Fuchs/Simpson (Drinkwater is doing this a lot too - our current blueprint for Barcelona-esque passing is Kasper -> Morgan -> Amartey -> Drinkwater -> One of the fullbacks) and by that point they are so closed down that all they have left is a ball back to Kasper for a hoof or they hoof it themselves down the line.

Now IF Huth/Morgan had more ability on the ball AND they dropped back into space after doing "their bit" and moving the ball onto a midfielder, the fullbacks would be able to pass back to them, have them pass back to the midfielder and THEN there should be space created because of the opposition pressing up. As it is, both Huth and Morgan stay up level with the ball as though they're playing the late 90's style Arsenal offside trap and this leaves no options back inside.  This wasn't a problem last season as we almost never did it - the ball was almost always put back to Kasper who lumped it reasonably accurately forward. As our entire team pressed forward, we often picked up second balls and used it as a launchpad for a quick counter. It ain't happening now as there's too big a gap between our midfield two and the strikers.  This makes it very easy for opposition fullbacks to head the ball back inside to their midfield as they outnumber us in that crucial space between our strikers and the midfield.

If Albrighton/Mahrez would drop inside when the long ball goes forward, they would have a far better chance of picking up the second ball and they'd provide support for the midfield duo, but they tend to sit wide waiting for the knockback down the line and that almost never comes. It's this continued repetition of something that is clearly not working that drives many of us fans mad I think!

This is why it helps us to have Shinji playing. He plays as a deeper no. 10 who fills that gap and creates space by his endless running.  It stops their free man in midfield from having the luxury of taking up that position in and ahead of their fullbacks and helps us to win the ball back higher up the pitch.  Slimani and Vardy both push high in a straight line and this leaves a gaping hole. They shouldn't be played together in that system, but it would work if we played a 4-3-1-2 with Shinji/Kaputska/maybe even Gray in that hole. We could possibly play a diamond with Drinkwater at the back and Shinji/whoever at the point but it requires more disciplined wide players than Mahrez in that set-up so it would mean sacrificing him.  He cannot play as the number 10 as, frankly, he's too damn lazy to do the job required.

We're damned a bit at the moment by our players. If we don't sacrifice some of the "star" names for a better formation, we'll be stuck with hoofball until/unless they go back to what worked better last year (which is really just a more cultured form of hoofball as it includes the press/harry/quick counter which we've lost).

Total football???? We're playing like a hoofball conference side!! 

Archived