Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

"Automatic Promotion is Still Our Target" - Nigel Pearson

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/110113-pearson-time-to-strike-590054.aspx?

City manager Nigel Pearson reckons his side need to make their move in the promotion race soon if they are to reel in the npower Championship’s top four.

Three consecutive wins in all competitions have helped the Foxes recover from a sticky spell just before Christmas, strengthening their momentum to compete for a place in the Premier League.

But they head to Bristol City on Saturday still three points behind Middlesbrough and Crystal Palace directly above them, five behind Hull City and 12 behind leaders Cardiff.

With 20 games of the season to go and three of the four of the sides above them still to play, the Foxes’ destiny remains very much in their own hands, but Pearson admits they will need to bridge the gap to prevent their rivals running away with it.

“We’re doing ok, but we need to make a move on the teams above us,†Pearson said ahead of Saturday’s trip to Ashton Gate.

“From here on in, every game will be very important, but, as the games become fewer and fewer, it’s important we do as much as we can to affect the sides above us.

“Automatic promotion is still our target, whether we can achieve that or not remains to be seen, but we need to put ourselves in a good position.

“Cardiff have done exceptionally well to create a big gap between themselves and third place particularly, but we have to make sure our own form is such that we put pressure on teams above us.â€

Recent trips to Ashton Gate have not been particularly fruitful for the Foxes, whose recent record against Bristol City stands at just two wins in the last eight.

It is a sequence of results Pearson is eager to improve on, but the Foxes boss will not be underestimating a side struggling near the foot of the npower Championship table.

“It’s another potential banana skin in that it’s a game people will expect us to do well in, given the league positions of both sides,†Pearson said.

“But it’s not been too happy a place for us to go in recent years, so we’ll want to rectify that.

“We know that they are desperate to get results, certainly at home they’re a different proposition and they've been involved in games with plenty of goals.

“We have players that are playing pretty well, good competition in the squad and it’s important we go there with a positive mind-set and look to build on what we've done in the last couple of weeks.â€

We can do it City :thumbup: , nice to hear NP's perspective on things.

I would not say that I expect us to finish in the top two, but we definately can.

In the majority of games we are creating more chances that the opposition & now with the addition of a proven goal scorer in Wood, we hopefully will be more effective in scoring goals and taking more points in the second half of the season. I'm interested to see if Nigel brings in a ball winning midfielder to strengthen up our midfield which has the tendency to not be as dominating as we would ideally like.

Automatic promotion should definately be our aim. Nigel is on the right track I feel & I don't think we have had a better shout at top 2 since 2002/03 season.

There was a thread on here talking about the next 7 league games starting with Huddersfield. 5 were at home and you would fancy us for points from all of them. Wood has come in right in time for the start of these 7 so things look good. Just feels like a key point of the season at the end of these 7 we will know whether we can push for the autos or not.

Just got to stay within touching distance until the run in. If we can be within 5pts of 2nd with 8 games to go then I reckon we can fire up all the engines and have an explosive finish. Best goal difference in the league tells you all you need to know about what we are capable of. Games like tomorrow are massive though. We need to win if we're going to keep up with the pace.

Had it been a month ago when we were losing to Millwall and scraping a draw at home to bottom four teams like Barnsley then I'd have said "no way hose". It all becomes rather more believable still IF we don't lose at Bristol City tomorrow. So many times these bold statements or articles are published and then we're left with egg on our faces after another humiliating defeat at a club with half the points tally that we have!

I just hope opposing teams don't stick three defenders on Wood and it culminates in him being stretchered off and out for the remainder of the season, God forbid!

What do people expect him to say? The questions managers and players get asked are just so poor. They're either leading them to a certain answer or just asking them the obvious. Would be nice if there were some decent journalists out there who were willing to ask some thought-provoking questions.

What do people expect him to say? The questions managers and players get asked are just so poor. They're either leading them to a certain answer or just asking them the obvious. Would be nice if there were some decent journalists out there who were willing to ask some thought-provoking questions.

I thought this also. The staff and the players arn't exactly going to come out and say we can't reach it. Before the season though, I would have taken anywhere in the top six and I still stand by that. Automatic is obviously still possible, but there are many quality teams around us with the likes of Hull, Palace, Middlesbrough etc. Let's hope we can make it though, starting with a win today. Recents trips to Ashton Gate have been poor, still remember that game where Dyer scored to make it 1-1 about a minute after they scored.

It'll more than likely be our away form that dictates if we make it up automatically or not as I'd expect our home form to continue to be very strong. It's games like today's that are a good indicator of whether we've got what it takes to go up.

Archived