Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hornyhollthefox123

Danny Simpson Guilty - Avoids Jail

Re: Collymore, when we signed him he had been punished and, more importantly, he had admitted it and sought help.

Re: Former legend rumours, until that person is convicted I will not take internet gossip as fact

I am not saying that Simpson's footballing career should be over, just his Leicester career, he has not sought any help for his issues, he has not admitted his guilt and therefore hasn't dealt with it. Sacking him is the correct thing to do supporting him through this isn't, he has given no reason to support him.

Everyone deserves a second chance, but from what I can see he is not making any attempt to reform his ways, sack him, make him realise the consequences of his actions, give him time to sort his life out and come back with a fresh start at another club. He should not be receiving 1000s of pounds a week while he is an unrepentant convicted violent criminal.

Guest bennytwohats

There's loads of examples. Even if you limit it to heroic players who committed serious offences during their careers, it leaves you with a wealth of great English players, from Gerard (who battered someone for refusing to play Phil Collins, which sounds like an appalling crime if you ask me) to Adams to Merson. And there are plenty of Leicester players to own up to horrendous crimes, commit horrendous crimes on the pitch, be accused of horrendous crimes, convicted and jailed for horrendous crimes and they've still been signed, picked, supported, even revered as great LCFC players... It's very hard to argue that Danny Simpson is worse than the lot of them.

Not just responding to this post, but your last few above - well thought out, articulate and balanced.

Something of a rarity on here!

"Tuilagi, 23, was found guilty at Leicester Magistrates court yesterday of two counts of assaulting a police officer, assault by beating and causing criminal damage"

"Simpson, 28, originally from Eccles, Greater Manchester, denied one charge of assault by beating at the city's magistrates' court."

I'll leave that there.

You do that.

My points about why they were not comparable: 1. Tuilagi pleaded guilty before it ever got to court

2. he apologised immediately and acknowledged he had to do something about his behaviour

He pushed two police officers, which

3. isn't strangling, and

4. isn't attacking a woman on her own in a private place

So hardly see that they're the same.

People are arguing for football/job sanctions for DS on this forum: you accused them of double standards. Tuilagi has been suspended from England, will miss the World Cup, and his Tigers sanctions are yet to come.

By all means pick up your post again...

How do you know he hasn't already done so?

I tend not to give people guilty of assault the benefit of the doubt Bert. I'll assume he hasn't until I have reason to believe otherwise. Pleading guilty would have been a good start.

As for Simpson, I'm sorry that he's done what he's done and been convicted (though not as sorry, of course, as you have to feel for his former partner), and hope he learns something from it and becomes a better person as a result. If that makes him a better player at the end of the day, then I think I could live with seeing him in a Leicester City shirt again. I suspect he's going to be gone and I'd perfectly understand that decision because what he's done is dreadful, but I'm equally unconvinced by these black-and-white attitudes towards crimes/criminals. And, above all else, I've got to believe in rehabilitation, because otherwise the whole world is doomed.

If anyone takes anything away from this discussion, it should be this. 

Wholesale belief that people aren't capable of change is the way that the world ends.

As for Simpson, I'm sorry that he's done what he's done and been convicted (though not as sorry, of course, as you have to feel for his former partner), and hope he learns something from it and becomes a better person as a result. If that makes him a better player at the end of the day, then I think I could live with seeing him in a Leicester City shirt again. I suspect he's going to be gone and I'd perfectly understand that decision because what he's done is dreadful, but I'm equally unconvinced by these black-and-white attitudes towards crimes/criminals. And, above all else, I've got to believe in rehabilitation, because otherwise the whole world is doomed.

Nothing is black & white, we should all believe in rehabilitation - because as you say without it the world is doomed.

But his actions since the event are a world away from rehabilitation. there is no remorse, there is only denial, even as he was being taken away out the dock after being found guilty, he was trying to assert his control over her.

The club may be waiting for sentencing before deciding their move, but I hope they take not only his actions into account, but also his denial, lack of remorse & inability to grasp what he's done too

I don't care how good he is (he's not, but anyway), I wouldn't want someone convicted of beating a woman while a member of Leicester City to remain at this club.

Well done for you, the point is though that people do turn a blind eye depending on the player. People are willing to forgive if it's a 20 goals a season striker compared to a bit part reserve right back. Nobody said everyone acts or thinks like that, but it happens and that's what the point was.

you are such a pompous **** mate. Do u realise how offensive ur views of lcfc fans are. Block me. I dont give a fcuk

Why would I block you, I don't have a clue who you are. Try going away and using some brain cells about the comments. If you seriously think there aren't fans out there who are willing to forgive incidents that involve good players then you lead a rather sheltered life. Or do you think Leicester fans are some kind of breed different to other fans who celebrate and sing the names of criminals week in week out at their clubs?

Common Assault, contrary to section 39 Criminal Justice Act 1988

An offence of Common Assault is committed when a person either assaults another person or commits a battery.

An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force.

A battery is committed when a person intentionally and recklessly applies unlawful force to another.

It is a summary offence, which carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment and/or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_against_the_person/

I'd be utterly amazed if he got time for it. I've known cases where people have nigh on killed someone and walked away with suspended terms. Will be interesting to see what the club do.

I'm not sure I agree with you, Babs. The awful fact is that we might have expected it of Simpson, but not of Vardy, which maybe makes the reaction more vitriolic. However, I think that these days, most people - "even football fans" to be clear - loath violence against women and children. We've grown up.

Personally, I find it very sad that we took Simpson on in the first place. It seems clear that he has form, and we would have been better looking elsewhere.

And on a different note, one has to feel some kind of sympathy that a guy with his talent has fvcked up his life like that. Desperately sad.

It's fine if you don't agree, but I really don't think Leicester fans are a special breed. For a lot of people their morals get put to the side when it comes to football, we see that week in week out in different situations.

what the hell u on about twat. The point u are making is a disgrace. He was strangling his wife. Thats a wierd thing to say

It's not really a disgrace is it.

You can say all you want about whether he'd be forgiven if he was good, but ultimately if he was that would be wrong. He is a thug and we shouldn't want to be associated with him whether he is good or not. The fact that he's crap just removes the dilemma.

I don't condone his actions in the slightest, but I've definitely seen some of the same usernames in this thread defending clubs trying to sign Ched Evans. Bizarre.

Also, the fact that she withdrew her statement the next day and didn't want to proceed with actions likely suggests that she has forgiven him, it's not in most of our nature to do anything even remotely close to what he allegedly did, but it was just a moment of madness it seems. To suggest that it's 'unforgivable' is a little too far for me, but each to their own.  

I don't condone his actions in the slightest, but I've definitely seen some of the same usernames in this thread defending clubs trying to sign Ched Evans. Bizarre.

Also, the fact that she withdrew her statement the next day and didn't want to proceed with actions likely suggests that she has forgiven him, it's not in most of our nature to do anything even remotely close to what he allegedly did, but it was just a moment of madness it seems. To suggest that it's 'unforgivable' is a little too far for me, but each to their own.  

She was probably paid off and even if she wasn't you cannot use the actions of a victim of domestic violence as a reasonable argument for anything. Also I'm sure it was more than a moment of madness, didn't she call 999 and he was still at her when police arrived?

From what I've read, I think a lot of women withdraw their statements, could be for a number of reasons; forgiveness, fear, financial, family, and other words beginning with F.

He has been found guilty, and after he has served his punishment/time he should be able to play for whoever wants him. If the club want him to continue with us, then they should ensure they condem what he did and make sure he gets support to fix his issues.

Personally, I don't think he is very good, so this is a good excuse to let him go and get someone else in.

She was probably paid off and even if she wasn't you cannot use the actions of a victim of domestic violence as a reasonable argument for anything. Also I'm sure it was more than a moment of madness, didn't she call 999 and he was still at her when police arrived?

Whilst I agree that domestic violence is not a cut and dry topic, probably not one that should be discussed on a football forum also, that does give off connotations of repeated attacks etc; though of course one attack is enough. It seems to me like a heated exchange between two drunken and passionate people, seems as though he was also bleeding for example. 

Plenty of sportsman have done similar things, Geoffrey Boycott is loved and worshiped by a lot of Cricket fans and the BBC, despite punching his girlfriend once (incidentally got a suspended sentence, though it was in France).

From what I've read, I think a lot of women withdraw their statements, could be for a number of reasons; forgiveness, fear, financial, family, and other words beginning with F.

He has been found guilty, and after he has served his punishment/time he should be able to play for whoever wants him. If the club want him to continue with us, then they should ensure they condem what he did and make sure he gets support to fix his issues.

Personally, I don't think he is very good, so this is a good excuse to let him go and get someone else in.

Yeah of course, I wouldn't suggest for one moment that he should let off scott free or anything like that, just making the point that to suggest it's 'unforgivable' and that he has no future anywhere is a little extreme perhaps - as I can see you agree with. 

I also agree that he's a poor footballer and would ideally like to offload him regardless of the incident. 

I'd be utterly amazed if he got time for it. I've known cases where people have nigh on killed someone and walked away with suspended terms. Will be interesting to see what the club do.

Surely the variables of admission of guilt, remorse, seeking help etc come into play when sentencing, given the judge has already said it passes the threshold for custodial sentence

Front page of The Sun may even sway it, given the extra interest

There's nothing more forgiving than a Wag. Theyseem willing to put up with almost anything to retain their Wag status and lifestyle - eg Mrs Terry.

And even though this one may have quickly forgiven him it won't help the next one in line unless he gets his issues sorted.

Surely the variables of admission of guilt, remorse, seeking help etc come into play when sentencing, given the judge has already said it passes the threshold for custodial sentence

Front page of The Sun may even sway it, given the extra interest

Being high profile it will probably mean he does get some time. Although the case I know first hand about there was zero remorse, the person has previous convictions, someone nearly died. What he'd done passed the threshold for a custodial (many crimes that get suspended time do anyway).

What you have to do to get actual time these days is beyond belief sometimes.

Being high profile it will probably mean he does get some time. Although the case I know first hand about there was zero remorse, the person has previous convictions, someone nearly died. What he'd done passed the threshold for a custodial (many crimes that get suspended time do anyway).

What you have to do to get actual time these days is beyond belief sometimes.

It is ridiculous, particularly when you get given numerous years for things like drugs or fraud. The value of a persons well being seems way down the pecking order when it comes to custodial sentences. 

I can't see him getting more than a hefty fine and a suspended sentence. Magistrates love a suspended sentence, showing that the threat is there without actually having issue a prison sentence themselves. 

Whilst I agree that domestic violence is not a cut and dry topic, probably not one that should be discussed on a football forum also, that does give off connotations of repeated attacks etc; though of course one attack is enough. It seems to me like a heated exchange between two drunken and passionate people, seems as though he was also bleeding for example. 

Plenty of sportsman have done similar things, Geoffrey Boycott is loved and worshiped by a lot of Cricket fans and the BBC, despite punching his girlfriend once (incidentally got a suspended sentence, though it was in France).

Yeah of course, I wouldn't suggest for one moment that he should let off scott free or anything like that, just making the point that to suggest it's 'unforgivable' and that he has no future anywhere is a little extreme perhaps - as I can see you agree with. 

I also agree that he's a poor footballer and would ideally like to offload him regardless of the incident. 

Kill an animal and you're awful.

Beat a woman and you're passionate. 

:jawdrop:

It is ridiculous, particularly when you get given numerous years for things like drugs or fraud. The value of a persons well being seems way down the pecking order when it comes to custodial sentences. 

I can't see him getting more than a hefty fine and a suspended sentence. Magistrates love a suspended sentence, showing that the threat is there without actually having issue a prison sentence themselves. 

Don't pay your council tax and they would probably lock you up and throw away the key! lol

Kill an animal and you're awful.

Beat a woman and you're passionate. 

:jawdrop:

Not quite. I was merely stating that perhaps he should be able to be forgiven in future, and to suggest that his act is unforgivable when I could list numerous sports stars who have done far worse and are still celebrated in their respective fields is a little rich. Of course being a veggie my opinion has to come back around to animals it seems :P, but having studied sexual offences, assault, battery etc in an uncomfortable amount of detail in both work and education, as well as debating the benefits and negatives of punishment in law, I find it a lot easier to isolate one incident from another and find it a little too difficult to simply suggest that anybody who commits certain crimes in certain circumstances can never be forgiven.

I actually think he should go down, and I would also not like to see him a Leicester shirt for numerous reasons, my point was merely that he probably does have a future in football, just preferably not with us.

There's nothing more forgiving than a Wag. Theyseem willing to put up with almost anything to retain their Wag status and lifestyle - eg Mrs Terry.

And even though this one may have quickly forgiven him it won't help the next one in line unless he gets his issues sorted.

Whilst I do agree, the argument about money doesn't completely wash with me. I'm sure there's plenty of cash involved in selling her story and the civil damages that would ensue following the case. I would however imagine that the fact they have a child together has a great deal to do with it, well you'd hope so.  

Archived