Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

26 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Adding seats doesn't necessarily mean better atmosphere, look at Old Trafford. The expansion needs to be sensible and some proper work put into the acoustic design to keep the sound in. Most importantly the people who fill the seats need to be as up for it as everyone else! :scarf:

Don't get me wrong totally agree with whoever turns up needs to put the effort in that much is obvious, can't stand a flat atmosphere it's awful 

I just think we desperately need to tap into our potential whilst we are in this position

• 3 weeks later...

So i have never claimed to be ITK but i am working for a customer at the moment who are well known in the insurance world close to Leicester.

The other day i was sat there and my laptop was connected to an external monitor with a photo of Wes holding the trophy up.

A random guy walked past and saw my monitor and was thrilled i was a city fan as so was he, a chat ensued and he told me that the east stand is to be extended with work due to commence in June 2017 and something to do with the club now owning that electricity building close by. 

After he went off i asked my boss who this guy was and she said he is one of the board of directors within this company and that they have a box down at the ground that he controlled.

Might be BS but i thought i would share.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Surely if it was going to start next season it would be in the public realm by now?

I doubt its true.

It could be, but would need a planning application pretty damn sharpish! Even then, my guess is that the council will want something done about access/parking/public transport that will all take time to sort out. If they did get the go ahead it would also be interesting to see how they plan to complete the work whilst avoiding a reduction in capacity over the 17/18 season. Tricky stuff!

Your bog standard planning permission takes 3 months with good pre-application discussions and a consultant what's covered all angles (flood risk assessments, traffic plans etc.)

However, you'd be wise to say six months in case of appeals/calling in etc. You'd think something like this would go relatively unchallenged. 

Then you'd have 10 weeks construction from 23rd May through until start of August. The thing what could begin early though is the strengthening of the foundations provided you didn't disturb the existing. 

7 minutes ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

It could be, but would need a planning application pretty damn sharpish! Even then, my guess is that the council will want something done about access/parking/public transport that will all take time to sort out. If they did get the go ahead it would also be interesting to see how they plan to complete the work whilst avoiding a reduction in capacity over the 17/18 season. Tricky stuff!

Probably the same as what they've done at anfield.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Probably the same as what they've done at anfield.

You'd think so. That would probably restrict access and certainly reduce parking space at the King Power, probably attracting more conditions from the planners/planning committee. Given the time scale I guess we'll find out if this is a goer or not pretty shortly.

18 minutes ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

Easiest way to appease any council is the 'you scratch my back, i will scratch yours'.

No doubt King Power will indirectly pay for something like speeds humps in a residential area which did need it but because most councils are reactive rather than proactive they had no plans to until little timmy was wheel chair bound cos of some dick boy racer.

13 minutes ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

You'd think so. That would probably restrict access and certainly reduce parking space at the King Power, probably attracting more conditions from the planners/planning committee. Given the time scale I guess we'll find out if this is a goer or not pretty shortly.

Maybe that's why they bought the electricity board land, for parking.

4 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Easiest way to appease any council is the 'you scratch my back, i will scratch yours'.

No doubt King Power will indirectly pay for something like speeds humps in a residential area which did need it but because most councils are reactive rather than proactive they had no plans to until little timmy was wheel chair bound cos of some dick boy racer.

True. It's a requirement in planning legislation when it comes to housing development. As I understand it there were planning requirements put on the club to provide better public transport access when the original planning approval was given. As councillors love a bit of 'social engineering' I just wonder if this might come back to delay things. Personally, I'd like to see some sort of extension to the park and ride system intensity and hours of operation to accommodate supporters getting to and from the ground. I really don't understand why, with well supported football and rugby clubs playing in the city, both having regular evening KO's, nothing has been done before. 

2 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

So i have never claimed to be ITK but i am working for a customer at the moment who are well known in the insurance world close to Leicester.

The other day i was sat there and my laptop was connected to an external monitor with a photo of Wes holding the trophy up.

A random guy walked past and saw my monitor and was thrilled i was a city fan as so was he, a chat ensued and he told me that the east stand is to be extended with work due to commence in June 2017 and something to do with the club now owning that electricity building close by. 

After he went off i asked my boss who this guy was and she said he is one of the board of directors within this company and that they have a box down at the ground that he controlled.

That sounds like my gaffer! PM me with who you work for!!!!

Awaits resurrection of Offside.

Our best hope for a quick application is Soulsby who seems quite adept at ignoring local opposition of which I'm  sure there will be plenty.

The big negative is they never complied with the travel plans for the original stadium build.

A big "bribe" option which would benefit the club is a big donation to the National Forest / Ivanhoe line which I've  mentioned often.

25 minutes ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

True. It's a requirement in planning legislation when it comes to housing development. As I understand it there were planning requirements put on the club to provide better public transport access when the original planning approval was given. As councillors love a bit of 'social engineering' I just wonder if this might come back to delay things. Personally, I'd like to see some sort of extension to the park and ride system intensity and hours of operation to accommodate supporters getting to and from the ground. I really don't understand why, with well supported football and rugby clubs playing in the city, both having regular evening KO's, nothing has been done before. 

A park and ride system would be perfect. 

There are suitable hubs in Fosse Park and if it still exists the Race course in Oadby who i remember back in the early and mid 90's offered a saturday park and ride into the city centre. There is no reason why these could not be utilised by the club.

I think we are still a way off from any ground expansion.

No application has yet been made and I think you are talking at least 3 - 6 months for approval, and that is not allowing for the possibility of significant objections to it.

I'm not saying it won't happen but the council can't just roll over - it has to consider the objections of residents.

Even if it is approved, opponents will probably appeal against it, delaying any start further.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Your bog standard planning permission takes 3 months with good pre-application discussions and a consultant what's covered all angles (flood risk assessments, traffic plans etc.)

However, you'd be wise to say six months in case of appeals/calling in etc. You'd think something like this would go relatively unchallenged. 

Then you'd have 10 weeks construction from 23rd May through until start of August. The thing what could begin early though is the strengthening of the foundations provided you didn't disturb the existing. 

If the project did go ahead, it would take a lot longer than that. 

Cardiff's expansion was, broadly speaking, comparable from a technical point of view and the timescale for that were construction commenced in the December (around 6 months after approval was given), and the "new" stand was constructed behind the existing one (as we have seen at Anfield,  on a much larger scale). At the end of the season, the roof of the existing stand was removed and construction completed.

30 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

A park and ride system would be perfect. 

There are suitable hubs in Fosse Park and if it still exists the Race course in Oadby who i remember back in the early and mid 90's offered a saturday park and ride into the city centre. There is no reason why these could not be utilised by the club.

They had the chance to do that when the current stadium was built but it never happened for all sorts of reasons not least that Saturday afternoons are a peak time for shoppers so leaves no room for fans.

They tried to use County Hall as a base for P & R but again it didn't happen even though it was a condition of the planning application

4 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Brilliant news if true :D

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I think we are still a way off from any ground expansion.

No application has yet been made and I think you are talking at least 3 - 6 months for approval, and that is not allowing for the possibility of significant objections to it.

I'm not saying it won't happen but the council can't just roll over - it has to consider the objections of residents.

Even if it is approved, opponents will probably appeal against it, delaying any start further.

If a planning application is approved by the council, opponents can't appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. Their only chance is trying for judicial review. However if, as a developer, the council turns you down, you can appeal to an Inspector! And if you win at appeal, the council has to pay your costs too, which is one reason councils often roll over and permit unsuitable developments. Rightly or wrongly the system is heavily skewed towards development

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Awaits resurrection of Offside.

Our best hope for a quick application is Soulsby who seems quite adept at ignoring local opposition of which I'm  sure there will be plenty.

The big negative is they never complied with the travel plans for the original stadium build.

A big "bribe" option which would benefit the club is a big donation to the National Forest / Ivanhoe line which I've  mentioned often.

No big negative at all. Our owners had nothing to do with it and the council should of enforced it at the time. They cant hold the club or current owners responsible for previous failings on the clubs part when they failed to enforce it.

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

No big negative at all. Our owners had nothing to do with it and the council should of enforced it at the time. They cant hold the club or current owners responsible for previous failings on the clubs part when they failed to enforce it.

Well I'm sure they can if they want to as it's still not been fulfilled a change of ownership doesn't alter the conditions of a planning approval, there might be hope if there's a time limit involved but I guess it depends on how much Soulsby wants it to happen anyway.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well I'm sure they can if they want to as it's still not been fulfilled a change of ownership doesn't alter the conditions of a planning approval, there might be hope if there's a time limit involved but I guess it depends on how much Soulsby wants it to happen anyway.

I'm not saying they can't put the stipulations' in now. What I am saying is they can't refuse an application now because certain things did not happen last time. Other than Doris the tea lady I doubt any present staff were here when the ground was built.

Archived