Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Every game so far has sold out (home games). The only reason there were tickets available/spare seats was because there were returns (sponsors or whatever) and these were put back on sale days before each match, sometimes 1-2 weeks.

If all of these were made available from the start then we would have sold them out. As someone else said, sometimes people see sold out and never bother checking again or don't even think they stand a chance. If every home game made general sale we would sell a lot more.

Also, if we expand, we could sell an additional 3-4,000 season tickets which would easily be sold. I think there are many people waiting for an opportunity to buy one.

Yes, we will not sell every game out but our average attendance would be around 38,000 if not more in a 40,000 capacity ground.

But by the figures produced we are giving away thousands to sponsors etc at the minute yet your saying thousands of people never bother to check the website despite being desperate to go to games?

Many of the lesser games haven't even sold the 500 to silvers allowing city Fox a shot at tickets. I find it staggering that even as champions we can't get full houses for ever game. So there is no evidence for me that suggests another 6k or more will jump on the ride should we have that many seats available unless prices across the board came down. Which we all know they won't. 

Yes for Utd, Liverpool etc we will fill it but it's who we are filling it with. Casual fans of those clubs. I had a Chelsea and Liverpool fan stood next to me at the back of sk1 for the Chelsea game last season. Would be 10 times worse if we had thousands of extra seats to sell.

Losing 1 nil to Burnley on a Tuesday night as we have done more than once down the years doesn't have the same appeal.

Chuck in the biggest club rugby ground in the country and a large population who's 1st sport isn't football. We could well be catering to an audience that just doesn't exist.

Just look how many on this board have moved away from Leicester as well. Are they gonna love the option of coming to a few games. Yes but would they all commit to season tickets if they had the chance. I doubt it as it's a huge commitment financially for some.

I know of several people that don't go as often as they did because of the match day prices and the pain in the arse of getting them, they would all have purchased the better value for money ST if they'd been available which would also mean a greater chance of seats together and their mates going to the same games as them.

They're also not that keen on paying a lump sum up front to join the lottery of getting tickets with some not even bothering to try now.

Correct me if I am wrong but we didn't sell out for two of our home champions league games. So why folks think an increase in capacity is justified to me looks way off the mark.

Our match day prices are a joke and they lack of information on tickets in general the club put out on social media platforms is poor.

6 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but we didn't sell out for two of our home champions league games. So why folks think an increase in capacity is justified to me looks way off the mark.

Our match day prices are a joke and they lack of information on tickets in genral the club put out on social media platforms is poor.

I knew loads of people who weren't aware tickets were still selling. That had nothing to do with demand. If UEFA hand back 1,000 tickets days before a match and there is no real announcement from the club, how can they sell?

So CL is completely different sales to the league games.

However, I think there is a large enough demand (as long as we remain in the Premier League) to fill a larger ground most of the time. If the pricing remained or we were able to cut down even more then I am sure we could sell near to 30,000 season tickets.

Guest CityFan 06
1 hour ago, Gerard said:

My opinion hasn't changed one iota, build it and they will come.

We were selling out when we won twice in six months in 2014/15

We were selling out in our title winning season of 2015/16

And we're selling out now when we're crap again in 2016/17

I've been trying to buy a season ticket for all those seasons but I can't as we're sold out of season tickets so I have to settle for my Gold membership. If there was another 10,000 -15,000 seats people would snap up a lot more season tickets. A lot of people don't even try to go anymore because they just assume every game is a sell out and with memberships and season tickets restricted you're forcing people to jump through hoops to get to a game. The more hoops you make them jump through the more they don't bother trying.

If we had a 50,000 stadium then a lot of people would buy season tickets, get into a routine of going and still watch us when we're crap. If we don't build a bigger stadium we've really missed a trick as this is our chance to separate ourselves from the other biggish mediocre clubs. Football is cyclical and we'll be Championship again before we know it, I'd be gutted to think we let this chance to pass us by.

£50m spent on infrastructure could last for 100 years, that's a Slimani and Musa who will be gone soon enough. Leicester is the 8th biggest city in England and we have a lot of support from the county and we're miles away from the nearest clubs, we certainly have the fanbase to attract 50,000.

You've made some excellent points there, @Gerard. I've put in bold ones which I particularly agree with. This is our third season in the Premier League since promotion in 2014, and we've average a home crowd of 30k+ in each of those seasons. That itself could warrant an expansion, and in my mind I do still think fans are missing out on going to home matches these days. I know people myself who regularly seem to miss out, which is a shame because they want to go as much as we do every week.

I'd only differ from what you've said in terms of the stadium. I wouldn't relocate, personally. I'd build on the current site which can be up to a maximum of 55k I'm led to believe. I feel our stadium is nice, albeit very common. An expansion would move away from it being common, plus allowing many more fans to come to home games. One of the key dilemmas which still lies though, and I'm not sure how they will solve this, is traffic. Any expansion / new ground capacity is going to put even more pressure on the city of Leicester in terms of traffic. After games, it does take a long while as it is to get out. However, if the traffic issue could be resolved, it would aid the chances of any work being done to the stadium.

For me, it's absolutely imperative the club stays in the Premier League for the future to come. The owners want the club to be a regular in the top flight, and if we can manage that season on season I think eventually we will see a bigger stadium.

I want a legacy. I want something to show for our success. When future generations learn about the Immortals and hear the stories passed down from those of us that were there, they need to see something physical to bring it home. Statues, walls, gates, signs whatever but what could be better than a permanent physical alteration to our stadium that we can all relate to and remind us of these heady days ?? A new stand fits the bill.

Guest CityFan 06
7 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I want a legacy. I want something to show for our success. When future generations learn about the Immortals and hear the stories passed down from those of us that were there, they need to see something physical to bring it home. Statues, walls, gates, signs whatever but what could be better than a permanent physical alteration to our stadium that we can all relate to and remind us of these heady days ?? A new stand fits the bill.

Good post. Any/some of that would be ideal. 

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Every game so far has sold out (home games). The only reason there were tickets available/spare seats was because there were returns (sponsors or whatever) and these were put back on sale days before each match, sometimes 1-2 weeks.

If all of these were made available from the start then we would have sold them out. As someone else said, sometimes people see sold out and never bother checking again or don't even think they stand a chance. If every home game made general sale we would sell a lot more.

Also, if we expand, we could sell an additional 3-4,000 season tickets which would easily be sold. I think there are many people waiting for an opportunity to buy one.

Yes, we will not sell every game out but our average attendance would be around 38,000 if not more in a 40,000 capacity ground.

Wrong - we haven't sold out every game. Most games you can get a ticket. Only the big games have sold out.

Even tried on here to sell my spare CL tickets on here and couldn't get a buyer.

If there was strong demand, there wouldn't be a spare seat in the ground. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

It'll also be tainted with the whole being relegated as Champions thing so should probably wait a few years now.

Guest CityFan 06
1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

Seen the word 'champions' scratched into trap 2 on the west stand.

will remind my kids in years to come of our success.

In general terms, there aren't enough statues or anything relating to our history in & around the stadium. It's a shame really, we're a fairly historic club.

From my perspective I've had a season ticket on and off after I stopped playing football myself. Yes, I didn't renew when we went to division 1 (at least I admit it) In resent seasons it's not been practical or affordable to my current circumstance. In fact this year I actually downgraded my silver back to a city fox. I should have never upgraded, but after the great escape I obviously became desperate. I do always go to at least one away game every season and I'm not bothered who. I just want to support my team. I actually like the lesser games if there is such a thing in the Premier League, and that's the point; Premier League and staying in it is the only way forward. I know lots of mates in my situation who have had season tickets but not anymore and would jump at the chance of the occasional game.

I'm not suggesting a new stadium, just a stand expansion (with a bit more room for a fat bloke like me)

7 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Chuck in the biggest club rugby ground in the country and a large population who's 1st sport isn't football. We could well be catering to an audience that just doesn't exist.

You're having a laugh.  The Rugby club ( Tigers ) have never been and never will be the 1st sport in Leicester.  Compare their gates to us ? Leicester city are bigger than the Tigers in every way possible.

7 hours ago, Bayfox said:

But by the figures produced we are giving away thousands to sponsors etc at the minute yet your saying thousands of people never bother to check the website despite being desperate to go to games?

Many of the lesser games haven't even sold the 500 to silvers allowing city Fox a shot at tickets. I find it staggering that even as champions we can't get full houses for ever game. So there is no evidence for me that suggests another 6k or more will jump on the ride should we have that many seats available unless prices across the board came down. Which we all know they won't. 

Yes for Utd, Liverpool etc we will fill it but it's who we are filling it with. Casual fans of those clubs. I had a Chelsea and Liverpool fan stood next to me at the back of sk1 for the Chelsea game last season. Would be 10 times worse if we had thousands of extra seats to sell.

Losing 1 nil to Burnley on a Tuesday night as we have done more than once down the years doesn't have the same appeal.

Just look how many on this board have moved away from Leicester as well. Are they gonna love the option of coming to a few games. Yes but would they all commit to season tickets if they had the chance. I doubt it as it's a huge commitment financially for some.

I don't think you can bring the Tigers and rugby tickets in to this debate. They don't sell out many games these days and their tickets are fairly cheap (and if they aren't there is a way of getting them cheap!) 

this is from an occasional terrace stander.

build it and they will come.

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

You're having a laugh.  The Rugby club ( Tigers ) have never been and never will be the 1st sport in Leicester.  Compare their gates to us ? Leicester city are bigger than the Tigers in every way possible.

Read the bit you've quoted. Where did I state the tigers was the 1st sport in Leicester.  I stated that a large proportion of the population of the county would pick the rugby as there preferred choice. Therefore the fact that it's expensive to follow both. Our catchment is reduced.

I know plenty who can't stand football even after last season and vice versa I have no interested in the tigers.

But the fact we have a club on our doorstep that regularly commands crowds of 20k plus is bound to have some sort of impact if they didn't have the option of the tigers then they may well choose the city as their chance to see live sport.

There's not many city's that have a club the size of tigers on there doorstep competing for trade.

19 hours ago, ithuriel said:

We do need a bigger ground if we want to realise ambitions and stay in the Prem, even as poor as we are at present we are getting near full capacity, the question is will we add on to this ground or move?

Move ?! Are you kidding ?? I've only just come to terms with the last move.

Besides, our ground now holds too many memories to leave. We've witnessed some truely amazing games and highs and lows in its short lifetime that will live forever. With last years mother of all seasons the stadium has reached iconic status. It has an atmosphere even when empty. It should be listed.

15 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Wrong - we haven't sold out every game. Most games you can get a ticket. Only the big games have sold out.

Even tried on here to sell my spare CL tickets on here and couldn't get a buyer.

If there was strong demand, there wouldn't be a spare seat in the ground. 

You completely missed everything I said.

Every game sold out at member sales so far (PL games I am talking about), not sure if any made it back to STH. What then happens is more tickets seem to become available (sometimes smaller away allocation, sometimes returns and sure there are other reasons - sponsors returns etc). The fact is, to a members/fans eyes, it looks sold out.

CL was a complete different kettle of fish, as I said before. 5-7 days before each game 1-2,000 become available. At this point everyone thought games were sold out. Add to this the fact people bought 3 game packages and then sold individual match tickets as they couldn't go etc. So a week before the match you have the situation where hundreds of tickets have been made available again (on general sale) and people are selling 2nd hand. Of course there is not enough demand as most people have resigned to getting a ticket and made other plans.

Our lowest league attendance was 31,563, the highest 32,058 (against Middlesbrough, not Arsenal or Man City). Wouldn't really call 31,500 not sold out, there are always variations. 30,000-30,500 would not be a sellout.

9 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Read the bit you've quoted. Where did I state the tigers was the 1st sport in Leicester.  I stated that a large proportion of the population of the county would pick the rugby as there preferred choice. Therefore the fact that it's expensive to follow both. Our catchment is reduced.

I know plenty who can't stand football even after last season and vice versa I have no interested in the tigers.

But the fact we have a club on our doorstep that regularly commands crowds of 20k plus is bound to have some sort of impact if they didn't have the option of the tigers then they may well choose the city as their chance to see live sport.

There's not many city's that have a club the size of tigers on there doorstep competing for trade.

Really ? --Sheffield--Bristol --Liverpool --Manchester-- Birmingham--- London-- etc  Rugby fans are rugby fans they would not come to us even if there were no Tigers in existence

Their support for the Tigers has never had any relevance or impact on the gates at Leicester city. Football is the number one sport in Leicester. If there were no Leicester city I doubt the gates at the Tigers would improve one iota.

People within the media do tend to refer to it with fondness now, rather than the apathy you usually get for the generic bowl stadiums. It's probably the first one to break the mould, but then it's probably the first to witness genuine history being made- the history is what gives every iconic ground that atmospheric feel.

An extra tier on the east stand, some cladding around the outside to cover the exposed concrete and a lick of paint, and we would have a home to be genuinely proud of. Let's talk about statues when the dust settles on this era.

We probably wouldn't fill 38,000 for every game, but it would be there when we need it. People probably felt that we wouldn't fill the Walkers when we moved, but the extra capacity allowed the fanbase to grow and now demand is again outweighing supply in the good times.

People need to remember- football is a changing sport. It's entertainment as well as sport now due to the media exposure and branding. The audience is expanding faster than ever. Last season will have captured a whole generation of young fans from Leicester and the surrounding area, and we need to enable them to go to as many games as they can. In a few years we could be filling 40,000 on a regular basis in this division, and that may seem normal (who would have seen us averaging 32,000 two decades after barely being able to attract 10,000?).

A bigger stadium is one of the easiest ways to determine the size of a club. We should just go for it.

Archived