Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

it must be like winning the lottery for these guys when a dopey foreign owner who loves to spunk millions up the wall gets on the phone asking them to take part in the 'next project'.

What about when a dopey British owner does it? Or is it only foreigners who are dopey?

Guest MattP

Koeman has been mentioned more than once since we sacked Pearson, as have Southampton, well this is about as close as we can come to replicating that move.

It really isn't is it? Koeman is a young up and coming manager whose best years are in front of him, full of desire, ability and promise.

Hiddink is a near 70 year old whose best years are clearly well behind him, he's already started on the seniors tour by taking a job in Russia.

Yet again we're about to employ someone who totally failed in the last job they were in.

When you really think about it this is as close to the Sven appointment as you can aside for maybe Marcelo Lippi turning up.

Guest MattP

Anyone seen this morning's Mercury? Front page says, "Neil Lennon favourite for new manager. Full story, back page."

And the back page has a big picture of Hiddink and an article saying he is the favourite.

lol

lol

Nothing like hedging your bets!

The difference between Sven and Hiddink is that Sven has only ever had relative success at dominant teams with an easy ride.

Hiddink has had his best years taking unfancied teams and turning them in to hard to beat winners. This is exactly what we need.

He's had a couple of dodgy spells when the expectations were higher (though he wasnt terrible at Chelsea, who wanted him permanently for ages) but find me many of the "big" managers who haven't.

Everyone, myself included, is creaming their pants over the fantastical and unrealistic idea that Klopp is even a long shot. Yet, come on, look at his last season and the conditions he left Dortmund under.

There's ups and downs in football. Sven never, ever had a reputation like Hiddink. This would be a ridiculously good move for us.

The people comparing Hiddink to Sven need to have a word. Couple of years ago, Hiddink was one of the most wanted managers in football. Hasn't done his reputation any favours with an awful stint with Holland but then the Dutch are famously difficult to manage.

He's no Mourinho but he's a very tidy coach and there's much worse we've been linked to (hello, Dyche, Redknapp, etc.)

He's also one of the most well travelled men in football, so you'd expect him to have a tidy black book and a good knowledge of the sport globally. That can't hurt in transfer terms.

Koeman has been mentioned more than once since we sacked Pearson, as have Southampton, well this is about as close as we can come to replicating that move.

But hiddink is foreign. All these bloody foreigners are the same lol

Koeman up and coming? He's been at Ajax, PSV, Valencia, Benfica and Feyenoord over a fifteen year managerial career. Pretty sure he was previously touted for the Real Madrid job when he was in Spain.

Behave.

I get that, sure. I'm still deflated and I'm still worried about anyone coming in and adopting a squad that was furiously and passionately Nigel's.

But it's done, it's not getting undone, and we can either mope about it or see it as an opportunity.

Pearson was a good manager but what he was and is not is the best manager in the world. There are many better.

We've never lost a manager before in our entire history and had this kind of opportunity to upgrade, to show ambition, to make a step forward and invest.

It really isn't is it? Koeman is a young up and coming manager whose best years are in front of him, full of desire, ability and promise.

Hiddink is a near 70 year old whose best years are clearly well behind him, he's already started on the seniors tour by taking a job in Russia.

Yet again we're about to employ someone who totally failed in the last job they were in.

When you really think about it this is as close to the Sven appointment as you can aside for maybe Marcelo Lippi turning up.

Yeh, his recent nomadic employment history doesn't make good reading. We are approaching a manager who despite a strong (media?) reputation and a good brief spell at chelski has a career of many brief appointments and some failures including being sacked by Holland. We've replaced a manager who is young enough to be his son and who has no real failure on his CV.

Guest MattP

Koeman up and coming? He's been at Ajax, PSV, Valencia, Benfica and Feyenoord over a fifteen year managerial career. Pretty sure he was previously touted for the Real Madrid job when he was in Spain.

Behave.

Compared to Hiddink he's very up and coming.

As for making us hard to beat being just what we need, wasn't that the thing people were actually moaning about last year?

One we threw off the shackles and went out to be aggressive and to attack we flew, I think the last thing we need to do now is revert back to being a side who want to just make sure we don't get beat.

spot on! I can't believe that anyone would see this as a bad appointment! He's one of the most respected managers in the world. Ffs. Let's just go and get Mike Bassett and make everyone happy for us to be a championship club again... It's called AMBITION!

The same ambition that thought getting Sven and chucking money at it would work getting out of the championship. Funnily enough it was the rather non ambitious route of boring old Nigel whom you despised that get us up and kept us up.

There are no guarantees it will work, or any way of knowing if it would fail... but surely anyone can actually understand the concerns of people after the last 5 years? If not, to coin a phrase... "are you an Ostrich?".

You can still have ambition and get someone as manager who is seen as a long term replacement, someone hungry for it, someone wanting to build. Rather than someone who has basically for the most part chasing ££££'s for the last decade.

I don't know how to feel about Guss, there are plenty of pluses and minus. It's certainly not a long term thing is it.

I didn't say dour and defensive. There's a difference between being organised and parking the bus. All the best teams in the world are well drilled and hard to beat.

I can't help feel you're desperately looking for negatives because you're still gutted about Pearson. I can understand that. What I can't understand is looking around at the alternatives, Lennon, Dyche and co, and being upset about Hiddink.

Lennon is up and coming compared to Koeman, would you want him?

What I can't understand is looking around at the alternatives, Lennon, Dyche and co, and being upset about Hiddink.

True, but if we're going for Hiddink that says everything about what the owners want to do, so I'm not sure Lennon and Dyche would even figure on their list. Other bigger better names probably would though.

What worries me is that our selection process for the manager seems to have reverted to "what famous manager isn't in a job" again. The amount of effort that we put into scouting players, looking at stats, history, personality, how they fit in what we currently have. Do we actually bother doing the same for the most important man at the club?

Swansea and Saints (eventually) were applauded for continuity, bringing in people who fitted their philosophy, which hopefully yields and easier transition. What worries me is we aren't doing that at all.

For raising the profile of the club for a couple of seasons i think this would be a good appointment. I do prefer us to have more of a long term okplan though so if true i hope they have something in mind for when he goes.

The transfer section will go crazy ifnwe get him lol

The difference between Sven and Hiddink is that Sven has only ever had relative success at dominant teams with an easy ride.

Hiddink has had his best years taking unfancied teams and turning them in to hard to beat winners. This is exactly what we need.

He's had a couple of dodgy spells when the expectations were higher (though he wasnt terrible at Chelsea, who wanted him permanently for ages) but find me many of the "big" managers who haven't.

Everyone, myself included, is creaming their pants over the fantastical and unrealistic idea that Klopp is even a long shot. Yet, come on, look at his last season and the conditions he left Dortmund under.

There's ups and downs in football. Sven never, ever had a reputation like Hiddink. This would be a ridiculously good move for us.

Couple of years ago? The height of his popularity was after Chelsea six years ago. He then had a bad spell with Turkey failing to qualify for an international tournament. Then at Anzhi he headed a spending spree of £100 million and failed to get in the Champions League. Followed by a very bad spell at Netherlands.

Yesterday's man to me.

True, but if we're going for Hiddink that says everything about what the owners want to do, so I'm not sure Lennon and Dyche would even figure on their list. Other bigger better names probably would though.

What worries me is that our selection process for the manager seems to have reverted to "what famous manager isn't in a job" again. The amount of effort that we put into scouting players, looking at stats, history, personality, how they fit in what we currently have. Do we actually bother doing the same for the most important man at the club?

Swansea and Saints (eventually) were applauded for continuity, bringing in people who fitted their philosophy, which hopefully yields and easier transition. What worries me is we aren't doing that at all.

you are on exactly the same page as me to the letter - can't help feeling excited and he is a better bet than the rest but yet can't help feeling one move is undoing all the good work on the other hand.

Also - He is a 4-3-3 man (i.e 4-5-1) and plays a possession style of game and seems to be at the age where he is set in his ways

We don't have the personnel that fit with the type of game he believes in deep into his soul and too many forwards :-)

While I can completely understand this, I'm not sure there's a "continuity candidate" out there other than Shakespeare perhaps.

Pearson was all sorts during his time here. Dour and defensive. All out attack. 4-4-2. 3-5-2. Boring in the media. The most controversial media figure we've arguably ever had. He's been both ends of the scale in a whole range of things.

I think most people would single him out for his ability to get the most out of his players in terms of effort and ability, but that's basically a description of what every manager aims for.

I also think people need to accept that the club might change a bit. You can't necessarily cherry-pick the best bits of a regime (scouting, sports science) and expect them to be completely unaltered. The new manager might have a completely different philosophy that actually works even better. We don't know yet.

Lots of comments about it being a short term appointment (if it happens), but when a new manager is installed it's always an unknown factor as to how long he stays. If they do a great job they might get poached, a bad one and it's the sack. So if GH gets the job i'd actually think it would be a good appointment at this time, with the window open and the season only weeks away. The available managers aren't very inspiring, and those tied into contracts would need take time to move over. The board need to consider carefully how we move beyond GH, and who would take over. It would be good to have someone with him as an understudy to have continuity (if it was successful) but it seems that Cambiasso has ruled himself out of that position at the moment, preferring a player only role if his recent tweet was correct. 

Sorry Dave, you're not panicking properly. If we go after a famous manager you say "IT'S SVEN AGAIN ARGH!" if we go after one nobody's heard of its "ARGH WHERE'S THE AMBITION" and you make sure to end both with WE'RE DOOOOMED.

Archived