Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

Agreed. We were already assuming that we'd need at least 2 new central midfielders to play our current style. If we switched to 4-5-1 and a possession-based, short-passing, slow-building game, we'd need at least 4 new central midfielders!  :blink:

At least we've got 4 strikers we could sell to raise the cash.

In a similar way to how Portsmouth went backwards after Harry Redknapp left.

They had numerous players on the books earning over 200k a week and the highest paid player in the World in Etoo.  It's probably not fair to compare his period there to anybody elses.

No not in a similar way to that at all. But yeah I agree there are question marks over his time there. Not sure how much of the wild spending was him personally though.

It's absolutely magnificent you can manage to guarantee everyone this won't be "Sven 2.0" whilst surrounding that promise with all the arguments put forward as to why we appointed "Sven 1.0".

Read it again.

IF the reports are true that he wants to work with a sporting director and not be involved in transfers, then it means he will not be Sven 2.0 as he won't be in charge of the cheque book, it is a conditional statement not one of fact. I can also see that there is a downside to him not being involved in transfers is that he won't be using his considerable influence to attract players. I would also want the manager to take a more active role in recruitment as he has to work with the players, so again it really depends on how it will work.

It is called a balanced opinion, rather than just knee jerk reactions.

Where is all this Sven 2.0 bollocks coming from. Because they are both experienced and foreign? Sven wishes he had the cv of Hiddink. He will attract players and commands a great deal more respect than Sven. On top of that this isn't the championship which is notoriously harder for managers to adapt too.

Well said. I'm all for Guus to steady the ship for a couple of seasons. Cambiasso number 2 bit like Van Gaal & Giggs

No not in a similar way to that at all. But yeah I agree there are question marks over his time there. Not sure how much of the wild spending was him personally though.

Seeing as the owner put the whole squad up for sale at one point, I think it is fair to say it wasn't the most stable of environments.

Having a name like him just doing the coaching/tactics and team selection in collaboration with Shakespeare leaving walsh to do the transfer stuff could be a masterstroke, that obviously being if we can convince the current backroom staff to stay on, the calibre of player that would be interested would no doubt increase leaving walsh to pluck out some ballers.... wishful thinking and all that

You have got to remember Anzhi had just got there new owners & they wanted to make Anzhi a worldwide side. Why would anyone want to have gone to Anzhi?

They were a mid/bottom side, who couldn't even play football at there own ground as the city was too dangerous. I'm sure they trained in Moscow or something! The only other alternative was to overspend on players to persuade them to join.

He signed Eto'o, Samba & Zhirkov all 3 did pretty well at Anzhi so you couldn't really class them as flops. He turned them into a top 5 competitive Russian side & im sure he got them in the Europa League?

Anyway my point baring in mind what he had to put up with at Anzhi he really didn't do that bad.

He wouldn't find the need to overspend on players here either as the lure of playing in the premier league, the best league in the world & the chance to work under Hiddink will be a massive advantage to us.

Really want this to happen now, I can't see him being the type of bloke that doesn't have pride in every job he does either. Onwards & upwards!!!

Also people saying Guus and someone else, it sounds like Guus wants a DOF in there with him and not him being DOF with someone younger like Cambiasso or Giggs.

I think he wants a squad assembled for him to focus purely on coaching - like international I guess.

You have got to remember Anzhi had just got there new owners & they wanted to make Anzhi a worldwide side. Why would anyone want to have gone to Anzhi?

They were a mid/bottom side, who couldn't even play football at there own ground as the city was too dangerous. I'm sure they trained in Moscow or something! The only other alternative was to overspend on players to persuade them to join.

He signed Eto'o, Samba & Zhirkov all 3 did pretty well at Anzhi so you couldn't really class them as flops. He turned them into a top 5 competitive Russian side & im sure he got them in the Europa League?

Anyway my point baring in mind what he had to put up with at Anzhi he really didn't do that bad.

He wouldn't find the need to overspend on players here either as the lure of playing in the premier league, the best league in the world & the chance to work under Hiddink will be a massive advantage to us.

Really want this to happen now, I can't see him being the type of bloke that doesn't have pride in every job he does either. Onwards & upwards!!!

Yeah that's pretty much the way I view the whole thing as well. 

We need to be clear about Hiddink and his intentions and seperate them from the owners and the clubs future plans.

With the managers position now vacant, the owners have 3 options.

1. Risk a young un-proven manager - Lennon

2. Closest match to Pearson blueprint - Allardyce

3. Ambitious big name - Hiddink

(Manager names are just examples)

All 3 carry a risk. Type 1 could just be another Peter Taylor situation, Type 2 could see another relegation fight where we may or may not survive and Type 3 could see us spunk shitloads of cash on high profile players and it could go either way.

Whether or not you agree with the owners decision or not to go for Hiddink, none of the options are a gaurantee just as it wasnt a gaurantee that if they had not sacked Pearson, we would have improved next year. Many will say, better the devil you know, but obviously from what we've been told, the devil they knew (Pearson) they couldnt stand so much as many wanted him to stay and are gutted he's gone, at least try and acknowledge that the persona we were all told wasnt the real Nigel (a grumpy twat basically) may have actually been his persona.

Regards Hiddink, lets be straight. He's a manager of profile and gravitas that will definitely be able to attract a different kind of player which seems to be exactly what the owners want and think will take us to the next level. Hiddink's motivation will be money. You dont manage Anzhi if you're all about the football. At the stage of his life that he's at, he may want one last payday but he'll certainly want his last job to be more successful than his stint with Holland. He'll be here for two years max if he comes, maybe not even that. But he's being appointed with a view to getting the club to a place where we can attract a Jurgen Klopp and that isnt a bad thing.

This might turn out to be a disaster but even if it does, the club will recover and carry on. I'm excited. It's clear the owners want success at a greater speed than perhaps Pearson was prepared to go hence the change. It means whoever gets the job will have money to spend and an aim of not just survival which as a fan, surely we all want as well?

A new era is about to be born so we all need to strap in and get ready as i've a feeling its gonna be a wild fvcking ride!

Having said all that we'll probably end up with Cotterill.

They were on horrific wages and it was almost a car crash afterwards, just like Portsmouth. It was Short Termism to the max and something we really can't risk.

Don't understand why people think Gus can only spend loads to be manager, he took south Korea to the world cup semi finals, nearly bloody won too. How much did he spend at Anzhi??

I agree with your point but he spent a shit tonne at anzhi. Made Eto'o the highest paid player in the world at the time

I agree with your point but he spent a shit tonne at anzhi. Made Eto'o the highest paid player in the world at the time

Did he decide on transfer fees and wages though? I'd assume someone else at the club dealt with that.

They were on horrific wages and it was almost a car crash afterwards, just like Portsmouth. It was Short Termism to the max and something we really can't risk.

But how much of that was Guus and how much was that the owners, they massively overspent considering their size and income and it wasn't sustainable.

As a Premier League club, with a new TV deal on the horizon, we are one of the richest clubs in the World, I think we earned more last season than any other European club bar Madrid and Barcelona (and the rest of the prem), someone put the table up recently, we have parachute payments in case of relegation, financially we are a world apart from Anzi and Portsmouth and with Financial Fair play rules we couldn't overspend even if we tried.

I'm not advocating short term thinking, but the risk is nothing like Anzi and Portsmouth, and after being burnt by Sven you would hope our owners are a little wiser and won't be just writing blank cheques.

Don't understand why people think Gus can only spend loads to be manager, he took south Korea to the world cup semi finals, nearly bloody won too. How much did he spend at Anzhi??

Pretty sure South Korea spend loads on dodgy ref decisions for him. 

Is it slightly conspiratorial that Gus resigned on Monday, then the very next day the Thais sack Nigel, when they could've done so much earlier based on their 'reasoning'?

I want Gus as manager btw

Surprised you want a foreigner.

At least we've got 4 strikers we could sell to raise the cash.

That's true. My guess is that someone intent on playing 4-5-1 possession football would keep Ulloa plus 2 of Vardy, Kramaric & Okazaki as striking options, plus 2 of Mahrez, Kramaric & Nugent as options for central attacking midfielder options.

However, if Mahrez were to mainly be used as attacking central midfielder, we would need 2 new right midfielders, as well as 2 new central midfielders (to supplement King & Drinky) & probably 2 new left midfielders.

Neither Schlupp nor Albrighton would suit a possession-based game, though Schlupp could conceivably revert to left back, competing with Fuchs....or could be sold for cash.

And how well would our defenders suit a possession-based game? Surely we'd need a new "footballing" centre back and right back, as a minimum?

My point in saying all this is that any such change in tactics would require a major overhaul of the playing staff, which would be enormously difficult to achieve when starting it in July! The disruption and period required for players to gel would probably have us deep in the relegation zone after a couple of months, with the fans potentially turning on the manager....

Maybe Hiddink could play a non-possession, pace-and-counter-attack style better suited to the current squad (he did with South Korea, as I recall).....or maybe a different manager, closer to the Pearson style (e.g. Allardyce, Lennon) might come in, with less disruption?

Hope I'm wrong, but this could be a complete car-crash.

Archived