Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

While I can completely understand this, I'm not sure there's a "continuity candidate" out there other than Shakespeare perhaps.

Pearson was all sorts during his time here. Dour and defensive. All out attack. 4-4-2. 3-5-2. Boring in the media. The most controversial media figure we've arguably ever had. He's been both ends of the scale in a whole range of things.

I think most people would single him out for his ability to get the most out of his players in terms of effort and ability, but that's basically a description of what every manager aims for.

I also think people need to accept that the club might change a bit. You can't necessarily cherry-pick the best bits of a regime (scouting, sports science) and expect them to be completely unaltered. The new manager might have a completely different philosophy that actually works even better. We don't know yet.

agree with this too as well as Babylon - I think this is the fight the owners have had in their minds - anyway what is done is done and we need to go with it now, I agree - Now if they could do something to break the pearson/Shaky bond and keep all existing members at the club with Hoodwink at the top, there may be room for a combined effort going forwards but equally their different outlooks might just be too far apart to be able to work together

Guest MattP

I didn't say dour and defensive. There's a difference between being organised and parking the bus. All the best teams in the world are well drilled and hard to beat.

I can't help feel you're desperately looking for negatives because you're still gutted about Pearson. I can understand that. What I can't understand is looking around at the alternatives, Lennon, Dyche and co, and being upset about Hiddink.

Lennon is up and coming compared to Koeman, would you want him?

Of course there is a difference, being hard to beat clearly implies a more defensive approach to our game.

My view isn't being clouded by anything, some people want us to judge Hiddink by things that happened years ago and yet again ignore all his recent work, which reminds me of something very similar in our recent history.

Babs has it spot on though, we appear to have learnt nothing, yet again throwing away a successful philosophy to bring in a high profile named who has recently engaged in profligacy whilst failing in the job he was supposed to do.

Sorry Dave, you're not panicking properly. If we go after a famous manager you say "IT'S SVEN AGAIN ARGH!" if we go after one nobody's heard of its "ARGH WHERE'S THE AMBITION" and you make sure to end both with WE'RE DOOOOMED.

Come on, you are better than this. Don't let yourself self down.

Ill explain why i think this could work....

Hiddink coming in and us re signing Cambiasso would be brilliant because hiddink could use him as an advisor and cambiasso would be able to tell him what the team is about and how the formation works. We could use hiddink  to get the big signings in we need and use cambiassos influence on the team.

it only wouldn't work if Hiddink came in without knowing anyone and had to start from scratch as that would be some task.

Why is everybody thinking Cambi will automatically get the assistants role if we get Guus?

I reckon he has far too much respect for Pearson to do that, I'm pretty convinced he won't be coming back as a player or a member of the back room staff.

Posted Today, 07:45 AM

Col city fan, on 03 Jul 2015 - 07:06 AM, said:snapback.png

Did you not literally a couple of pages ago tell us that you didn't worry and we should chill out?  :D

https://youtu.be/rh0ray9JnS0

cold light of day, reading other peoples considered opinions. That's why people are recommended to sleep on things.  :)

While I can completely understand this, I'm not sure there's a "continuity candidate" out there other than Shakespeare perhaps.

Pearson was all sorts during his time here. Dour and defensive. All out attack. 4-4-2. 3-5-2. Boring in the media. The most controversial media figure we've arguably ever had. He's been both ends of the scale in a whole range of things.

I think most people would single him out for his ability to get the most out of his players in terms of effort and ability, but that's basically a description of what every manager aims for.

I also think people need to accept that the club might change a bit. You can't necessarily cherry-pick the best bits of a regime (scouting, sports science) and expect them to be completely unaltered. The new manager might have a completely different philosophy that actually works even better. We don't know yet.

There may or may not be a candidate, but I'd like to think we've actually made an effort to think about what they would preferably like to keep from the current structure and had a look around for someone successful using something similar. All I've heard for the last year or so is how great Swansea and Saints are because they jacked x manager, but kept some continuity in style of play etc.

I'm not overly fussed about formations, but there is no point in getting someone who players 1 up front when we now have 5 strikers. I'd say we are definitely a team that attacks at pace, not long ball but quick at getting the ball forward. That's what the players know, that's what we know they can do. If we get someone who wants to play tippy tappy possession football from the off, you're going to be asking the likes of Schlupp,  Vardy, Morgan, Was, Huth etc  to be doing something frankly they probably can't do.

Couple of years ago? The height of his popularity was after Chelsea six years ago. He then had a bad spell with Turkey failing to qualify for an international tournament. Then at Anzhi he headed a spending spree of £100 million and failed to get in the Champions League. Followed by a very bad spell at Netherlands.

Yesterday's man to me.

So Cardiff who is todays man that you would want and expect?  It is great with all these fans saying no to everyone being linked or suggested, but really have no idea who they would approve of.  Sounds like no one is good enough!

People keep going on about Sven spending money this will be the same,the difference is Sven wasted premiership wages on players that were lower end Championship players at best.We are now in the top tier so we can attract a better player.Having Hiddink in charge will turn a few players heads,as for his recent form,now that worries me a bit,I admit I'm Confused and not sure who I want,the majority of us wanted NP to stay but that's been and gone.Lennons passion for the game and his connection to us is growing on me as I think that's what the club needs.

People keep going on about Sven spending money this will be the same,the difference is Sven wasted premiership wages on players that were lower end Championship players at best.We are now in the top tier so we can attract a better player.Having Hiddink in charge will turn a few players heads,as for his recent form,now that worries me a bit,I admit I'm Confused and not sure who I want,the majority of us wanted NP to stay but that's been and gone.Lennons passion for the game and his connection to us is growing on me as I think that's what the club needs.

It is worth considering Cambo

I think it's best to keep an open mind about the whole situation

We were all shocked when big Nige was sacked but now we must move forward as best as we can

Firstly, i'm a big Sven fan. Still am, always was. I just love the man, but then again I do have a Sweden flag tattoo'd on my right wrist with absolutely no logical explanation other than being arseholed for a month in Thailand. Anyway, Sven came to us with his reputation tarnished somewhat but he'd actually done alright for Man City and knew the English game well. He just badly under-estimated what it required to get us promoted from a peculiar league. Is Hiddink better than Sven? Looking through their careers i'd say Sven had some excellent years at various clubs and Hiddink has obviously won everything with PSV and had a few other decent spells. He's also done well internationally whereas Sven is seen as a failure which I think is harsh. Hiddink hasn't managed properly at club level for ages, he didn't stick around for long in the late 90's outside of his own country with Real Madrid and Betis and neither did he at Chelsea and Anzhi, so I can see why there's concerns.

BUT

How badly can he be here? We are in the PL and not the Championship, where bringing in talented players with high profiles is often how to succeed in this league rather than in the Championship you need to foster a strong work ethic and fight for your life. We have a good solid unit of players right now and with 2-3 class players there's no real evidence to suggest we'd be fcuked under Hiddink or anyone of his ilk. Perhaps he is an upgrade on Nigel, will Pearson ever achieve what Hiddink has? He may be 68 which let's face it, is old for a football manager they've usually wound down by now, which Guus has hence his various spells in international management. However, perhaps all we want him for is a year to take us a little further up the chain of established PL teams and open the way for more success.

I've a few concerns, i'm still astounded Nigel has gone in this manner but it is what it is. The last year Nigel hasn't covered himself in glory off the pitch, if he had then this probably wouldn't be happening so let's put the violins away shall we? His character and behaviour hasn't helped which is a shame because it's undone some of what he's done here and contributed to us needing a new manager. I see the Sven comparisons in terms of big name, money splashing journeyman and it's human nature to be concerned and even against it. But a year of someone like that is just as likely to succeed as 3 years (most managers only last a year and a bit) of someone like Neil Lennon or heaven forbid Sean Dyche.

Hiddink wouldn't be my first choice but i'm not going to Mark Speight myself if he does come, i'll roll the dice.

If we get someone who wants to play tippy tappy possession football from the off, you're going to be asking the likes of Schlupp,  Vardy, Morgan, Was, Huth etc  to be doing something frankly they probably can't do.

They did a damn good job against Newcastle, QPR and Southampton. Not the most demanding opposition on the day but against QPR there were long spells that resembled this...

https://youtu.be/D5N0pycFtmU

True, but if we're going for Hiddink that says everything about what the owners want to do, so I'm not sure Lennon and Dyche would even figure on their list. Other bigger better names probably would though.

What worries me is that our selection process for the manager seems to have reverted to "what famous manager isn't in a job" again. The amount of effort that we put into scouting players, looking at stats, history, personality, how they fit in what we currently have. Do we actually bother doing the same for the most important man at the club?

Swansea and Saints (eventually) were applauded for continuity, bringing in people who fitted their philosophy, which hopefully yields and easier transition. What worries me is we aren't doing that at all.

Actually with hiddink I think we are. The players loved him at Chelsea. He came in and gained their respect and the fans respect immediately. They wanted to keep him.

I don't see this comparable to Sven at all.

Agree with Babylon, our attacks are fast bursts usually stemming from winning the ball in dangerous positions. Possession football would be hard to implement into this squad

Agreed. We were already assuming that we'd need at least 2 new central midfielders to play our current style. If we switched to 4-5-1 and a possession-based, short-passing, slow-building game, we'd need at least 4 new central midfielders!  :blink:

Firstly, i'm a big Sven fan. Still am, always was. I just love the man, but then again I do have a Sweden flag tattoo'd on my right wrist with absolutely no logical explanation other than being arseholed for a month in Thailand. Anyway, Sven came to us with his reputation tarnished somewhat but he'd actually done alright for Man City and knew the English game well. He just badly under-estimated what it required to get us promoted from a peculiar league. Is Hiddink better than Sven? Looking through their careers i'd say Sven had some excellent years at various clubs and Hiddink has obviously won everything with PSV and had a few other decent spells. He's also done well internationally whereas Sven is seen as a failure which I think is harsh. Hiddink hasn't managed properly at club level for ages, he didn't stick around for long in the late 90's outside of his own country with Real Madrid and Betis and neither did he at Chelsea and Anzhi, so I can see why there's concerns.

BUT

How badly can he be here? We are in the PL and not the Championship, where bringing in talented players with high profiles is often how to succeed in this league rather than in the Championship you need to foster a strong work ethic and fight for your life. We have a good solid unit of players right now and with 2-3 class players there's no real evidence to suggest we'd be fcuked under Hiddink or anyone of his ilk. Perhaps he is an upgrade on Nigel, will Pearson ever achieve what Hiddink has? He may be 68 which let's face it, is old for a football manager they've usually wound down by now, which Guus has hence his various spells in international management. However, perhaps all we want him for is a year to take us a little further up the chain of established PL teams and open the way for more success.

I've a few concerns, i'm still astounded Nigel has gone in this manner but it is what it is. The last year Nigel hasn't covered himself in glory off the pitch, if he had then this probably wouldn't be happening so let's put the violins away shall we? His character and behaviour hasn't helped which is a shame because it's undone some of what he's done here and contributed to us needing a new manager. I see the Sven comparisons in terms of big name, money splashing journeyman and it's human nature to be concerned and even against it. But a year of someone like that is just as likely to succeed as 3 years (most managers only last a year and a bit) of someone like Neil Lennon or heaven forbid Sean Dyche.

Hiddink wouldn't be my first choice but i'm not going to Mark Speight myself if he does come, i'll roll the dice.

I'm not allowed to say good post buddy so I will say well thought out post, don't necessarily have the same thoughts but at least you provide a logical explanation both sides of the argument

Guus with an understudy (ideally Cambiasso)... Dream team!!

Now those two together would be a great double act. Would feel confident going into the new season. Defo not Neil Lennon. If the owners think Pearson was a loose canon, then Lennon would be an absolute living nightmare for them.

Forget Sven as a model - do you remember the first game under Sousa, Palace away - 3-0 down at half time - destroyed a promising team - players trying to do things that they weren't able to do - shambles

Perhaps the Thais will find a long term manager who can turn our current squad into a euro centric dream team - perhaps we can be Southampton but please allow me to dissent

We have possibly one of the best teams ever built by Pearson, forged from a pretty fiery exposure to the Premier league but one that was finally based on hard experienced defenders, smart midfielders, speed and never-say-die attitudes 

Our owners, for non-footballing reasons have decided to jettison Pearson so for footballing reasons? we again flirt with big name appointment - Rudkin seems to be the leading footballing advisor - better start advising rather than printing his business cards

First off, Hiddink hasn't been appointed, if the rumours are to be believed he has been approached, they would be mad not to approach one of the most high profile available managers in the game. They haven't made him an offer they haven't begged him to come and manage us and they haven't thrown a load of money at him they have approached him, as they have other available managers (if you believe all the rumours).

This is a good thing, it has also been reported that the likes of Rudkin and Walsh will have a big say in recruiting the new manager, this isn't some Thai wet dream of appointing the biggest name they can, so lets not speculate to death something that may not happen and lets trust in people at the club to make an informed decision.

Should we appoint him, then we should again listen to what is being said, and take from it what you will, I have read things like he doesn't want to be a full control manager and wants to work with a sporting director, so he doesn't want to be involved in transfer dealings and contract negotiations, just focus on the team and tactics. You can see this as a good thing, it will NOT be Sven 2.0, or a bad thing one of the advantages of Guus is his contact book and ability to attract top players. If we want continuity then it would be better to have a stable transfer policy.

It also doesn't sound like he will come in and start messing about with our Sport Science set-up and interfere with the coaching.

The negative view is you have to ask what his commitment level is, if he just wants to turn up on match day pick a team send them out there do the media and then swan off back to the Netherlands for the rest of the week.

We don't know any of these things, but we have to trust the people at the club to interview him fully, ask him the right questions, will he be moving to Leicester, is he happy to work with Shakespeare and co, will he be bringing in his own people, and try and understand his ideas and motivation and if it doesn't fit then move on to another candidate. This isn't Sven 2.0 there are more trusted football men at the club than when Sven was appointed, and more experience from our owners.

If they make the same mistake as Sven and are just throwing money at a big name, then I will be as quick to criticise as anyone, but somehow I doubt, we have more structure in place and have had a structured approach transfer wise.

So lets hold off the character assassinations until he has at least been offered the job, and maybe wait until the season starts before we judge his team.

Forget Sven as a model - do you remember the first game under Sousa, Palace away - 3-0 down at half time - destroyed a promising team - players trying to do things that they weren't able to do - shambles

Perhaps the Thais will find a long term manager who can turn our current squad into a euro centric dream team - perhaps we can be Southampton but please allow me to dissent

We have possibly one of the best teams ever built by Pearson, forged from a pretty fiery exposure to the Premier league but one that was finally based on hard experienced defenders, smart midfielders, speed and never-say-die attitudes

Our owners, for non-footballing reasons have decided to jettison Pearson so for footballing reasons? we again flirt with big name appointment - Rudkin seems to be the leading footballing advisor - better start advising rather than printing his business cards

That's my worry with Hiddink that he'll come in and overcomplicate our style. The ethos that Nige created was really quite simple but very effective. If we start trying to give Schlupp and Vardy etc 4 or 5 different jobs to do i can see it diluting their game

Anzhi was a bizzare situation, but even if he did overspend on one or two players you can't be sure that was his fault and he did take the club forward. It went backwards fast once he left. Outside of that his club record is very very good, what he did at PSV and Chelsea was absolutely outstanding. Most of his failures have been attributed to off the pitch problems i.e Real Madrid.

I have my doubts, same as anyone but a lot of you are writing him off just because we got burned by Sven. He is not the same person and if he takes the job he deserves a chance and our full support and not resentment from the fans just because we want NP or because we are pissed off with Sven still. 

As others have mentioned he may be able to attract players of a higher reputation, and will give us more of an image as "ambitious."  

As has been mentioned he will also still have his followers in Asia as one of the continents most successful international managers, so that may have it's commercial benefits but I refuse to see that as a plus point as I think the manager position should be filled purely based on football, not business.  

Guest MattP

First off, Hiddink hasn't been appointed, if the rumours are to be believed he has been approached, they would be mad not to approach one of the most high profile available managers in the game. They haven't made him an offer they haven't begged him to come and manage us and they haven't thrown a load of money at him they have approached him, as they have other available managers (if you believe all the rumours).

This is a good thing, it has also been reported that the likes of Rudkin and Walsh will have a big say in recruiting the new manager, this isn't some Thai wet dream of appointing the biggest name they can, so lets not speculate to death something that may not happen and lets trust in people at the club to make an informed decision.

Should we appoint him, then we should again listen to what is being said, and take from it what you will, I have read things like he doesn't want to be a full control manager and wants to work with a sporting director, so he doesn't want to be involved in transfer dealings and contract negotiations, just focus on the team and tactics. You can see this as a good thing, it will NOT be Sven 2.0, or a bad thing one of the advantages of Guus is his contact book and ability to attract top players. If we want continuity then it would be better to have a stable transfer policy.

It's absolutely magnificent you can manage to guarantee everyone this won't be "Sven 2.0" whilst surrounding that promise with all the arguments put forward as to why we appointed "Sven 1.0".

Guest MattP

Anzhi was a bizzare situation, but even if he did overspend on one or two players you can't be sure that was his fault and he did take the club forward. It went backwards fast once he left.

In a similar way to how Portsmouth went backwards after Harry Redknapp left.

They had numerous players on the books earning over 200k a week and the highest paid player in the World in Etoo.  It's probably not fair to compare his period there to anybody elses.

I don't think many people are questioning his CV or ability. 

My problem is his motivation, after Anzhi I thought he said he was retiring? Since then he's had a failure of a spell with Holland (losing more games than he's won, and 3rd in a weak Euro Group)

Will he really be up for a relegation scrap with us, or is he just here for a Sven-esque pay-check?

Agree with this.

What is the well renowned 68 year old coach doing at Leicester? Does it really whet his appetite the thought that we might finish 10th next season?

Ferguson stayed until he was 71 but he had a true affinity with Man Utd, what does Hiddink even know about Leicester City?

I just have to question his motivation and desire to work hard and do well.

Archived