Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

The ting about the "Pearson learned" thing is that he himself admitted he had no idea what had changed to cause our reversal in fortunes. That's not learning. He basically admitted it was pot luck.

Or, possibly, the formation was somebody else's idea, Pearson having ran out of his own, and he didn't want to take the credit nor give it to the person who deserved it.

Did he actually say that? Have you got the quote?

I don't think many people are questioning his CV or ability. 

My problem is his motivation, after Anzhi I thought he said he was retiring? Since then he's had a failure of a spell with Holland (losing more games than he's won, and 3rd in a weak Euro Group)

Will he really be up for a relegation scrap with us, or is he just here for a Sven-esque pay-check?

You are. We had a great scouting team built by Pearson. We have a brilliant sports science built by Pearson. There were signs we had an Academy beginning to bare fruit (and Pearson was introducing young lads to first team training). Ask Mick Rennie who is the best manager he work with in his long time at the club.

Correct, can't argue with his achievements on the field and in and around the training ground.  I was just pointing out that (looking at it from a business point of view) the owners can't have seen Pearson as the man to promote Leicester City on the worldwide stage with his antics. 

There DONT appear to be many truly viable options. Can't imagine a Hiddink and Lennon combo, but it might work and we could possibly keep the back room as is. Lennon on his own I'd say no.

But we'll get what we get. Shame Pearson is such a tool. Good manager but apparently a bit of an idiot as well.

I don't remember it that way Babs...

Media attention began with praise, alongside our good start. Then it went to 'unlucky', alongside our run after the Man Utd game... (You're right here). Then it went to 'they are looking like going down' for quite some time. Then it went to 'they are down' for quite a few weeks.

Then (surprise surprise) it went to 'we always thought they were better than their points suggested' alongside our final flourish.

Much like on here actually.

You must remember wrong then, because the unlucky stuff was around the Spurs games, arsenal game, both Liverpool games, palace at home. You know, when there was lots of stuff going against us.

Guest MattP

People already writing off someone who took South Korea to a world cup semi final, Brilliant [emoji106]

We've written off a dodgy Mexican referee who keep disallowing Spanish goals?

The ting about the "Pearson learned" thing is that he himself admitted he had no idea what had changed to cause our reversal in fortunes. That's not learning. He basically admitted it was pot luck.

Or, possibly, the formation was somebody else's idea, Pearson having ran out of his own, and he didn't want to take the credit nor give it to the person who deserved it.

Your argument has descended into a series of increasingly far-fetched guesses. After all, Pearson had played 3-5-2 before, in fact he began the previous season with it. And there are other solid, undisputed facts which don't help your case. Especially the one where he took us up 17 overall league positions in his first reign, 4 in his next year in charge, 3 the year after that, 6 the year after that and 7 the year after that - a bigger start-to-finish rise up the leagues than any manager in our history, with an unprecedented two promotions along the way.

You might consider such things irrelevant, but they are real, rather than guesses at who might have suggested which formation to whom, or what crazy stunt Pearson might have pulled to get himself fired.

If there was a shred of balance or reality in your argument it might help your case.

Your argument has descended into a series of increasingly far-fetched guesses. After all, Pearson had played 3-5-2 before, in fact he began the previous season with it. And there are other solid, undisputed facts which don't help your case. Especially the one where he took us up 17 overall league positions in his first reign, 4 in his next year in charge, 3 the year after that, 6 the year after that and 7 the year after that - a bigger start-to-finish rise up the leagues than any manager in our history, with an unprecedented two promotions along the way.

You might consider such things irrelevant, but they are real, rather than guesses at who might have suggested which formation to whom, or what crazy stunt Pearson might have pulled to get himself fired.

If there was a shred of balance or reality in your argument it might help your case.

quality, a nice mixture of facts and condecension, excellent post.

Guest MattP

Promote the club in other countries. Man U are said to have a fan base of 660 million, think of the shirt sales!

I'm probably out of touch these days but I couldn't care less how many shirts we sell in Asia.

Yes

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32677374

Good man, I love it when people can back their claims up.

He does follow on by saying 

"Our managing of the game during matches has improved. That has come with the experience of playing in the Premier League. We didn't have that at the beginning of the season." 

Surprised he didn't attribute it to the change in emphasis and the arrival of Huth though.

I've said before I really like the guy and that he was my 2nd favourite city manager after O'Neil. He did a great job in league one and in the championship but was found wanting for most of last season. His record in the transfer market is particularly impressive, thanks no doubt to an expertly assembled back room team. I wouldn't have even thought of sacking him for footballing reasons now, but he's gone now and it's just not the end of the world. We're in a position to attract a decent manager now, it's not like we'll be in for the likes of Martin Allen.

You must remember wrong then, because the unlucky stuff was around the Spurs games, arsenal game, both Liverpool games, palace at home. You know, when there was lots of stuff going against us.

What do you mean I'm wrong!

:angry:

Wash your mouth out..

I've just trawled through the forum archives and found a very interesting "New manager poll" from 2006...

Guus Hiddink: 7.64%

Nigel Pearson: 1.27%

My point is, if fans always got the outcome they wanted, Pearson would never have been manager in the first place. If we had it our way, Alan Curbishley would have been appointed in 2006. 

I'm sorry, but more often than not, we're wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and thanks to archives, we can see just how differently we viewed things. Even when Pearson was appointed in 2008, the general opinion was not too optimistic. 

It doesn't matter who the new manager is, it's our job to get behind him and give him the support he needs and, who knows, maybe he'll be a bit good. 

Good man, I love it when people can back their claims up.

He does follow on by saying

"Our managing of the game during matches has improved. That has come with the experience of playing in the Premier League. We didn't have that at the beginning of the season."

Surprised he didn't attribute it to the change in emphasis and the arrival of Huth though.

I'm not... When did Pearson ever single people out! It was all about the team. He'd never say "it's because of Huth".

Anyway, this thread is about Hiddink rather than arguing with a load of gormless people about a manager they'd never give credit to if we won the bloody champions league.

What do you mean I'm wrong!

:angry:

Wash your mouth out..

Sorry ha.

Was his spell Anzhi a failure? Reading about it on Wikipedia I didn't get that impression.

I have no idea about his time there.

Spent millions upon millions in a non competitive league to fail. Famously spent £12 million on Chris Samba.

Yes I know we had all summer to improve on what was obviously a championship defence and didn't.

Honestly, some of you need to go out have a read of the threads on here from around February. At times, I was the only person trying to be positive. We were a shambles. 'Pearson' got it right eventually, though he hasn't a clue how he did it. Pot luck or somebody else, one of the two.

Surely we signed two defenders in the summer, both of which had a wealth of top flight experience. They weren't much of an improvement on anything, but it's not like we didn't try. And our defence was, what? the best / second best in the Championship? Is that 'obviously a championship defence'? Because when a team craps on everybody else in the division it sort of suggests that they deserve to be playing at a higher level, doesn't it?

But your argument is still one of the most spectacularly groundless ones I've ever seen: Ignore all historical evidence to the contrary and put everything down to luck or, and it's a big or, some sort of conspiracy theory which placed Shakespeare or Cambiasso or Top in the manager's chair back in April, seemingly without anybody in the media or anyone at the club being aware of it happening.

Interesting, of course, to hear that you thought he was wonderful back in February. So does that mean it was our end-of-season form which convinced you he was hopeless and had, somehow, relinquished power to god knows who else? Or are you just habitually contrary?

13 years ago... In which they were corruptly guided there due to it being held in Korea. Since then he has a good 4 months at Chelsea and that's your lot.

Well he also got holland to the semi finals of the World Cup,Australia to their best ever finish in a World Cup, Russia to the semi finals of the euro... Which was their best ever achievement...

But yeah just South Korea, right?

Archived