Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

Did he actually say that? Have you got the quote?

Yes he did, but the quote's been taken so out of context that it's hysterical. Pearson was saying that we'd been playing well for a long time, and he couldn't put his finger on any specific reason why things had improved so suddenly. He certainly wasn't saying 'god, I've had nothing to do with this, thank god we're incredibly lucky'. He did, on the other hand, blame bad luck throughout the season and respond to Pat Murphy with the words 'don't you think their success has got something to do with me?'

Well he also got holland to the semi finals of the World Cup,Australia to their best ever finish in a World Cup, Russia to the semi finals of the euro... Which was their best ever achievement...

But yeah just South Korea, right?

imagine how good would of been if he had won league one then the championship the giddy heights

I've just trawled through the forum archives and found a very interesting "New manager poll" from 2006...

Guus Hiddink: 7.64%

Nigel Pearson: 1.27%

My point is, if fans always got the outcome they wanted, Pearson would never have been manager in the first place. If we had it our way, Alan Curbishley would have been appointed in 2006. 

I'm sorry, but more often than not, we're wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and thanks to archives, we can see just how differently we viewed things. Even when Pearson was appointed in 2008, the general opinion was not too optimistic. 

It doesn't matter who the new manager is, it's our job to get behind him and give him the support he needs and, who knows, maybe he'll be a bit good. 

I'm not sure Curbishley in 2006 would have been any worse than the latter half of the Levein-Kelly double bill.

But no, you are right in saying that we, frequently, are wrong. However whenever it's come to fans mourning the loss of a successful manager we are normally right. Pre-war our grandparents lamented the exits of Hodge and Womack, and we suffered after they left. Post-war there was the controversial sacking of Gillies which ended in relegation, then the loss of Bloomfield, which ended in relegation. The pattern continued - Little left, relegation, O'Neill left, collapse, financial collapse, relegation, Pearson left, promotion challenge set back by three years. If people are worried, there's a good reason for it!

Well he also got holland to the semi finals of the World Cup,Australia to their best ever finish in a World Cup, Russia to the semi finals of the euro... Which was their best ever achievement...

But yeah just South Korea, right?

Holland was Van Gaal not Hiddink. And Australia won 1 game against fellow minnows Japan. The Russian achievement was good though, especially with how badly Capello has done with them.

However he hasn't managed permanently at club level in over 10 years and his last 3 appointments suggest he is happy to wind down and collect as much cash as he can, and hasn't been particularly successful. If you can't see the obvious comparison between him and Sven then you are an ostrich. 

People already writing off someone who took South Korea to a world cup semi final, Brilliant :thumbup:

13 years ago, with allegations of match-fixing and in international football, a different beast from club football. Don't get me wrong, I'm cautiously in favour of him, but that's not a great argument for him

I bet you hated it when we won those Leagues, nothing for you to moan about

loved it but we had the best players in league one so should of walked it .and the highest wages and one of the top squads in the championship

Guest MattP

Top has rang his agent and apparently is very keen. Although his wage demands for a project in his eyes are high and the owners are keen on getting a deal Done over the weekend.

it must be like winning the lottery for these guys when a dopey foreign owner who loves to spunk millions up the wall gets on the phone asking them to take part in the 'next project'.

I'd ride on the Hiddink/Cambiasso ticket. Especially if it can be sorted promptly. It would certainly register a statement of intent and offer a decent challenge for Cambiasso. 

i'm all for Cambiasso and Hoodwink together too but we need to remember 34/35 is bloody young to be a prem league manager / assistant. Saying that. I'd make Cambiasso chief exec to keep him.

Whilst i am for Hoodwink coming over and the commercial benefits, after thinking it through, his style of play is totally different to ours. He plays a possession game and I think we have been moulded with the staff we have to play a high tempo in your face counter attacking game - it suits us and we will struggle with the bulk of the team we have to play like Arsenal right now.

I've just trawled through the forum archives and found a very interesting "New manager poll" from 2006...

Guus Hiddink: 7.64%

Nigel Pearson: 1.27%

My point is, if fans always got the outcome they wanted, Pearson would never have been manager in the first place. If we had it our way, Alan Curbishley would have been appointed in 2006. 

I'm sorry, but more often than not, we're wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and thanks to archives, we can see just how differently we viewed things. Even when Pearson was appointed in 2008, the general opinion was not too optimistic. 

It doesn't matter who the new manager is, it's our job to get behind him and give him the support he needs and, who knows, maybe he'll be a bit good. 

Very good post. In truth, we do not know how any manager will perform when they go to a different club. In reality, the best option is to stick with a successful manager which NP is. As soon as we appoint someone else, no matter their reputation, there is a greater risk. Mourinho could come here and struggle to keep us up. For all we know Iain Dowie may be the best manager in England in five years time. Did you expect Brendan Rodgers to almost win the title with Liverpool when he was left Reading unsuccessfully.

Names and reputations mean nothing. Good managers are ones that make a good squad a team, can manage players well individually and are tactically astute. Probably the most important thing is to be able to adapt when needed and to stick by your tactics when needed. NP was a good manager, but not the best addressee to the media and to non Leicester staff.  

loved it but we had the best players in league one so should of walked it .and the highest wages and one of the top squads in the championship

What about last year when he had the 2nd lowest wages in the Prem and finished 14th?

Holland was Van Gaal not Hiddink. And Australia won 1 game against fellow minnows Japan. The Russian achievement was good though, especially with how badly Capello has done with them.

However he hasn't managed permanently at club level in over 10 years and his last 3 appointments suggest he is happy to wind down and collect as much cash as he can, and hasn't been particularly successful. If you can't see the obvious comparison between him and Sven then you are an ostrich.

Yeah my mistake his holland achievement was 4 years BEFORE his South Korea exploits...

Archived