Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Leicester Match Of The Day Thread 2015/2016

Mahrez was offside by the silly rule that any part of the body counts, 0-0.

Kanté gave away a pen, 1-0.

They actually scored (but it was a shit goal), 2-0.

Vardy scored, 2-1.

Vardy should have had another pen, 2-2.

Callum Wilson in a moment of unintended truthfulness admitted to what everyone could see (that he moved into Benalouane in an attempt to get a penalty from the resulting coming together of legs instead of waiting for Ben to actually commit a foul) and should have been booked for simulation and then banned for 3 games for being thick enough to think that what he was saying actually defended the idea that he should have had a pen.

Huth should be awarded for attempting to fix Wilson's aforementioned thickness of head with a bit of percussive shock therapy, but probably earned that yellow for doing it so angrily.

All in all the right result, the referee was so shit he couldn't even affect the outcome.

But he wasn't.

Haha you can't say he wasn't offside because it's hard to tell. The fact is a playable part of his body was behind the last man, so it's offside. All this giving the attacker the benefit the doubt is bullshit if the decision is correct.

No no no. You're saying that because Match of the Day are saying that, but the freeze actually proves he was onside.

And I'm not talking about the imaginary line that MOTD drew onto the freeze frame, which was clearly not even straight (look at it in comparison with the 18 yard line). Look at the sky version instead on Match Choice, they don't draw a silly inaccurate line so you're not confused by it.

The defender's foot is clearly nearer the goal than Mahrez's head, therefore, it's onside.

Difficult call for the linesman but the Match of the Day studio have no excuse.

Here's a still of the moment the ball's kicked.  Drawing an accurate straight line is incredibly hard, I've traced all the 'straight' lines on the image below in red, notice how the far byline curves down away from and back up to the straight line I made by joining the byline on one side of the screen with it's position on the other.  Anyway, after many attempts at drawing an offside line I think this is the most accurate attempt I can come up with:

mahrezoffside_zpswqx57hfc.png

It's not nearly so clean-cut as they made it look on MOTD but I think they just about got that one right because his right shoulder appears to be beyond the line and unfortunately that's a part of the body which is allowed to play the ball.  Were it just his arm he'd be onside, so it's down to how accurate you think my line is.

I don't know why there's a big white gap at the top.

Personally I think it may even stand to be swung a little to the left at the top there making him more offside.

If the ball hits your shoulder it's not handball.

But the bit of his shoulder that's over the line there is his arm - it's the top of the arm, not above the main abdomen - if he hits it there, it's the top of his arm, which is handball. You can't score with that part of your body so that's not offside.

But the bit of his shoulder that's over the line there is his arm - it's the top of the arm, not above the main abdomen - if he hits it there, it's the top of his arm, which is handball. You can't score with that part of your body so that's not offside.

You can touch the ball with the 'corner' bit for lack of a technical term (the bit on the edge of the joint just before your arm extends down and away) and that bit's over the line too.

You can touch the ball with the 'corner' bit for lack of a technical term (the bit on the edge of the joint just before your arm extends down and away) and that bit's over the line too.

That bit looks to be on the line though, the section that's actually over is his bicep. I think we can safely establish that it's an impossible call to make either way, since he's level to the point that we're splitting hairs over how much of his arm is actually arm.

Here's a still of the moment the ball's kicked. Drawing an accurate straight line is incredibly hard, I've traced all the 'straight' lines on the image below in red, notice how the far byline curves down away from and back up to the straight line I made by joining the byline on one side of the screen with it's position on the other. Anyway, after many attempts at drawing an offside line I think this is the most accurate attempt I can come up with:

mahrezoffside_zpswqx57hfc.png

It's not nearly so clean-cut as they made it look on MOTD but I think they just about got that one right because his right shoulder appears to be beyond the line and unfortunately that's a part of the body which is allowed to play the ball. Were it just his arm he'd be onside, so it's down to how accurate you think my line is.

I don't know why there's a big white gap at the top.

This winds me up (no offence to the great work done with the lines) but as you can see this is fractionally off if that and this is looking at a freeze frame, to the naked eye in real time I can't see why the attacker wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt?

We are literally 4 games into the season and the officiating this season is already at a poor level and inconsistent. Why the standard of refereeing seems to never improve is beyond me.

Southamptons goal against Norwich has just been replayed and It was offside, the players foot was in an offside position.

Rant over lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived