Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Leicester Match Of The Day Thread 2015/2016

What's the consensus on the Okazaki foul then?

Pundits never mentioned it and I scanned twitter for reaction but there was none of the uproar I was expecting. It looked a foul to me in the flesh and on the 1 replay i've seen. 

Foul; no question. I also like how they ignored the penalty shout when Mertesacker obstructed Shinji. Would have been soft had Mertesacker not put his arms out and pushed him. Two big moments in the game that cost us. After that, Arsenal were much the better team.

I don't know whether it's just because we are fans of citeh, but we always seem to get such a short segment on MOTD when it comes to analysis and a lot of the analysis tends to be about the opposition. Is it cuz Gary hosts and doesn't want to be seen as having favouritism? It's fecking annoying.

People used to moan about Hansen but from time to time he actually said something interesting and earlier in his career he was a great pundit.

He also has about 5 league titles and 3 European cups to his name.

Jenas is a nobody. To justify his place on the panel he's got to be very good and he just isn't. At least shearer has a legendary playing career behind him.

People used to moan about Hansen but from time to time he actually said something interesting and earlier in his career he was a great pundit.

He also has about 5 league titles and 3 European cups to his name.

Jenas is a nobody. To justify his place on the panel he's got to be very good and he just isn't. At least shearer has a legendary playing career behind him.

I didn't mind Hansen and even Lawro was bearable at times.

Jermaine Jenas. Yawn.

His career was an odd one. Never quite lived up to the potential he was said to possess. Then again it could of been the usual hyping up of English players. Can't quite remember his early days to comment on whether this was the case. I just remember him being all over the media, when he signed for Newcastle.

Weird. How he warrants a place on motd as an expert still evades me.

Weird. How he warrants a place on motd as an expert still evades me.

Maybe because he belongs to the current generation of players, technically still old enough to play and presumably still have friends in the game which would give him more of an insight.

Might also be a ploy to get younger viewers, seeing an expert they would have seen playing rather than one of the old guard.

Not that I agree, just how I would see their thinking.

Maybe because he belongs to the current generation of players, technically still old enough to play and presumably still have friends in the game which would give him more of an insight.

Might also be a ploy to get younger viewers, seeing an expert they would have seen playing rather than one of the old guard.

Not that I agree, just how I would see their thinking.

Valid points.

About the being relatable to younger viewers point you raised. Surely in that regard it would been wiser to pick a more 'popular' player. There's plenty to pick from and it doesnt have to be a world class player, just one that would of resonated with football fans. For example, Tim Cahill. (He's currently still playing in shanghai) but you get my drift he's incredibly popular amongst all football fans.

I dunno where I'm going with this mate, but Jenas just seemed a bit unimaginative.

Valid points.

About the being relatable to younger viewers point you raised. Surely in that regard it would been wiser to pick a more 'popular' player. There's plenty to pick from and it doesnt have to be a world class player, just one that would of resonated with football fans. For example, Tim Cahill. (He's currently still playing in shanghai) but you get my drift he's incredibly popular amongst all football fans.

I dunno where I'm going with this mate, but Jenas just seemed a bit unimaginative.

Surely it's about who wants to do it though. You can't just assume every ex player wants to be a pundit or a manager. Also on your previous points about success as a player meaning you merit a spot as a pundit, I don't buy it. Michael Owen won a bit, played at the top level, broke records etc, he's a shit pundit. Gullit won plenty, he's terrible. Le Tissier won **** all and he's not too bad. Dwight Yorke won plenty and he's crap. Also why do you have to have numerous league titles to talk about games like Norwich v Leicester? Jenas is recently retired premier league footballer, he's in a good position to assess most games. In fact, why would I want to listen to someone like Gary Neville talk about a relegation battle, something he never experienced.

I see what you mean, but maybe being unimaginative is another reason. Jeans is still fairly young, about 32 I think, and dropping out of football I'm sure he'd be happy to accept a decent (although not massive) paycheck from the BBC. It can be difficult to drop out at retirement age yet alone early so he may have felt it a good way to keep in the business. From the BBC perspective he's played football, can talk about football and is well enough spoken to be an average pundit.

I don't know whether it's just because we are fans of citeh, but we always seem to get such a short segment on MOTD when it comes to analysis and a lot of the analysis tends to be about the opposition. Is it cuz Gary hosts and doesn't want to be seen as having favouritism? It's fecking annoying.

I think it is pretty equal in general tbh. It just seems that 5 minutes of them banging on about how sh!t Sunderland are seems to drag on more than 5 minutes of them telling the world how good we are.

Don't forget that Manish and Steve w@nked us off week in, week out on the FLS for years as well lol

Jenas is a decent pundit tbf, he makes valid points without the arrogance, will sometimes throw in how he was in a similar situation and how he dealt with it or what team mates & managers offered him in way of advice. Danny Murphy too, I dont always agree with what they say, but theyll make their point in a way that i understand where they are coming from. 

Martin Keown on the other hand.. absolute sham of a pundit, his personal opinions of individuals & bias towards certain clubs cloud his judgement to assess a situation evenly..

Yet out of those 3 had the best playing career.

Moral, better players don't necessarily make better pundits. 

Pundits will always say something you don't like eventually, the important thing is that you can at least see a logical development to what they're saying.  The fact that Jenas is capable of forming a coherent sentence instantly puts him at a huge advantage in the pool of ex-players that would be up for regular pundit work.  Zapp's spot on that playing credentials mean nothing in this respect, we should be able to observe this tonight with Shearer in the other seat.

Archived