Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Leicester 3 - 3 Arsenal. 18 Years Ago Today.

I seem to recall they put on a special highlights show on BBC just because the game was so amazing

Yes. It's about 20 minutes long, I think. I'll have to see if I can convert it to a DVD and upload it to YouTube. I'd forgotten all the players who were on the pitch: Garry Parker, Graham Fenton, Petit, Ray Parlour - amazing.

Before kids so made this one.Again one of my greatest games,but for some reason the 2nd leg v Wimbledon away is my favourite.

That was amazing. Missed the last train back to Leicester. Had to get a train back to Northampton where the police in London said coaches would be waiting for us. Were they F**k.

Dad had to pay for a taxi back to Leicester.

that Leicester team were very special. I'm not sure it was the best football ever seen, even though there were some very very good players in the team, but you knew, just knew that they would go for it until the death. This was the best night but there were other nights under the floodlights around the same time.

Walshy came running in, eyes standing out like chapel hat-pegs   lol 

and in Bergkamp they had what in those days was a true star, the sort of player who was never meant to play in our league......this is so true

What always gets me is the way the ground falls almost silent just as Bergkamp turns for his third, save for one woman who you can hear scream at the top of her lungs in fear of the inevitable.

You don't get that any more. I swear that at every Filbert street game I ever went to you'd hear the shot, the female scream, the net ripple and then the cheer of the opposition

Remember it like it was yesterday. I was 16, sat in the east stand, where my season ticket had been. Row E, a whole in the roof right above my head, great when it rained. My uncle used to buy a pie at half time just so he could take the lid off it and we could warm our hands in the winter!

One of a few good memories from my 5/6 years at filbert street. Certainly a lot better than a time we played the gunners in an early kickoff, long before it was the norm to have lunch time kickoff. Seemed so surreal at the time to be watching a match at lunch time! They battered us that day, lost 3-0 I think. Seem to remember Overmars waltzing through our defence, got bored and ran back across the pitch just to do it again!

Almost had a feeling of the Swindon playoff final did this one. 2-0 with 10ish minutes to go. Pulled it back to 2-2 for Bergkamp to to grab his 3rd, left Elliot looking like a right mug!

After Walsh scored he ran over to the bench to have a right go at Ian Wright. Think Wright had been giving it some before, so Walshy politely told him to sit down and be quiet.

Our 3rd was one of those moment when you graze your shins on the seat in front of you.

Two other things I remember:

1) The hype before the game because Wright was on the verge of the Arsenal goals record.

2) Being totally bewildered by Bergkamp's FIRST goal. It's hard to explain - my eyes saw the ball in the top corner but somehow my brain couldn't understand what that meant.

Sat on the front row of the carling stand upper, me and dad with a season ticket there for the first of many great seasons.

The video just doesn't do it justice - the scenes on that final goal were just insane. I think when bergkamp scored the third I just stood up and yelled TWAT at the top of my voice. Ha.

At the United game me and my dad had to sit apart, walked out of the ground after and just said - I don't believe it, I never thought I'd see the day that arsenal game was topped, but I think it did. When Ulloa scored the fifth I actually didn't celebrate and just stood and watched the ground go mental, jaw dropped.

Both amazing games, bough 18 years is a long time to compare them side by side.

Making me feel old 18 years ago . Remember it like yesterday .Another I was there moment . Watching Bergmamp putting in a masterclass 1st and his third was 2 of the best goals I've seen live.

A true foxes never quit moment .( I still won't leave early now due to the amount of late late goals we used to get)

Walsh was always rowing as was wrighty so always going to happen ... Started with over zealous celebrating I recall?

Epic epic scenes at Filbo what a game two great teams . Also knocked them out of the F.a cup around these times . PEGGY PEGGY PEGGY !!

lol

I was in the Kop right behind the goal. When Walshy scored went ape, jumped on some female supporter, gave her a massive kiss and cuddle, she reciprocated, never saw her again!

IMO better than the 5-3 last year, because a) a night match and b) the atmosphere could never be replicated at the KIng Power, not intimate enough. Too big.

After that game, didn't they bring in new recommendations re how much injury time was to be played and communicated. Six minutes that night (I think) which really pissed AW off.

Gutted I was too young. Bergkamp's one of my favourite all time players. Does it really get any better than having such brilliance on display against you and then you manage to actually get something from it? It's a bit like the Man Utd game, Di Maria's goal was sensational, one of those you just stand there and can't even get angry over conceding, yet still go on to steal the show.

Class.

Loved Bergkamp from this match onwards. I was sat in the 3rd row to the right hand side of the goal in the family stand and can just remember wondering what the fk i had just seen. Incredible match.

I also remember Ian Wright giving our fans some shit after the 2nd goal and then Walshy looking like he might actually kill him when the 3rd went in. Top stuff.

Obvously a cracker of a game, the Bergkamp hatrick gaining applause from our fans, the fightback, the contentious amount of exra time, Ian Wright and Steve Walsh (among others) having a barny, it had it all!

Would love to hear the views of users old enough to have been there and experienced it for themselves, would love to see some first hand pictures. Looking back at nights like that at Filbert Street makes me long for the current squad to continue making memories for our generation and I truly believe we are the closest we'll ever be to achieving nights comparable to that of of the 3-3 in 1997. 

Honestly the best game ive seen live, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife in the last 10 mins, and the sound of the crowd when the ball goes out for that final corner still gives me goosebumps, 21000 people just willing the ball into the back of the net. Mad scenes when it went in, I was only about 14 at the time as well. Always enjoy telling people I was there to witness THAT hattrick, and point out that it wasnt actually the best part of the game. no one ever seems to realise the game that surrounded it.

Archived